FORUMS: list search recent posts

EX-3 Cam Mic

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Bill Evelyn
EX-3 Cam Mic
on May 22, 2010 at 6:36:44 pm

Hey, all

For an upcoming shoot on a boat in the ocean, I won't have the benefit of a sound person along with me. So, I'll capture my nat sound with the EX-3 mic.

Shooting on the ocean, am I going to have any issues with wind noise..i.e., should I look into a foam windscreen for my EX-3? I've never heard that wind rumble on this camera before, but this is it's first ocean trip!

Thanks

Return to posts index

Ron Pestes
Re: EX-3 Cam Mic
on May 22, 2010 at 7:16:25 pm

Go to your menu and turn on the wind filter for both channels. That will help but you still may need a wind sock of some sort. You might be able to make your own.

Apple Certified Master Pro FCS 2
Sony EX-3
MacBook Pro

Return to posts index

Max Reid
Re: EX-3 Cam Mic
on Jun 1, 2010 at 2:46:39 am

Don't use the built-in mic. It just has no presence. The only time I have used it and liked the effect was when i shot a funk band reversal while surrounded by the musicians. It is truly lousy for recording voice unless you are right on top the person talking. And even then it's marginal.

When you're on the water, it's actually rather noisy. The sound of the waves, the hull smacking them, motors running, and the wind. And yes, use as much protection from wind as you can afford. Even if you have to cut a hole in a sponge and stick it on with rubber bands. I recommend you use a good quality directional microphone like a Sennheiseer 416 with a big furry thing on it (like a Rycote Winshield). And to be safe, put a wireless lav with windscreen on your subject too.

Use a headset and you might find it useful to go below, out of the wind, and playback bits, just to monitor what you are getting, Of course you might get drop dead beautiful day with no wind and fantastic sound with no effort, but every time I've been shooting on the water in a "boat" (as apposed to a "ship") it was, shall we say, "challenging".

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]