FORUMS: list search recent posts

1080i export to DVD problems

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Nik Read
1080i export to DVD problems
on May 18, 2010 at 8:11:09 pm

Hi everyone,
I've been using a Sony PMW-350 for the past few weeks but am really unhappy with the quality I'm getting when I try and export to SD DVD, so I wondered if you clever guys could help?
I'm shooting HQ 1080i 25fps PAL, I'm then editing in FCP and then sending the timeline to compressor, where I'm using a "best quality DVD" setting. I'm changing it to constant bit rate, (maximum 6) and then encoding it to mpeg2.
Trouble is, the quality of the subsequent DVD it spits out from DVD studio is poor to say the least, especially when compared to old DVCAM footage which looks stunning!!!
The edges, especially in wide shots, are not crisp and there appears to be horizontal "field" lines, even though it was shot interlaced and exported as "top field first".

This is really frustrating, I realise that shooting HD and watching it on SD DVD is never going to be the ultimate, but my clients still want this format and until the world goes blu-ray we're all stuck! So far it's a bit of a let down and I'm sure it shouldn't be...
Really hope you guys can help me...
Thanks in advance,
Nik

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
Re: 1080i export to DVD problems
on May 18, 2010 at 10:17:14 pm

Compressor is not that great at downconverting and MPEG-2 encoding at the same time. I get better results by a two step process. 1- export from FCP timeline to a standard definition ProRes HQ 16:9 .MOV. Then drag that into Compressor and encode with the Best Quality settings for MPEG-2. I think you'll find the quality goes way up.

Noah

Check out my book: RED: The Ultimate Guide to Using the Revolutionary Camera!
Unlock the secrets of 24p, HD and Final Cut Studio with Call Box Training. Featuring the Sony EX1 Guidebook, Panasonic HVX200, Canon EOS 5D Mark II and Canon 7D.
Watch Formosa- My indie movie shot with the SDX900 and finished with Final Cut Studio.

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on May 18, 2010 at 10:20:40 pm

I'm wondering if Job Chaining in Compressor might work also. I think Compressor and FCP are using the same engine but I think the two step process is key.

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on May 19, 2010 at 2:28:37 am

Possibly but I like to get it off FCP's plate entirely and have a nice SD master in ProRes while I'm at it.

Noah

Check out my book: RED: The Ultimate Guide to Using the Revolutionary Camera!
Unlock the secrets of 24p, HD and Final Cut Studio with Call Box Training. Featuring the Sony EX1 Guidebook, Panasonic HVX200, Canon EOS 5D Mark II and Canon 7D.
Watch Formosa- My indie movie shot with the SDX900 and finished with Final Cut Studio.

Return to posts index

Nik Read
on May 20, 2010 at 8:21:53 pm

Thanks guys,
Yet again the cow does the business!
That certainly helps, so thanks very much.
All the best
Nik

Return to posts index

Michael Slowe
on May 21, 2010 at 3:23:02 pm

Nick, I hope you're still 'on thread' because I too had doubts about the quality of SD DVD's from really good HD stuff.

The latest versions of BitVice solved all my problems. This encoding software (especially versions 2 onwards, the latest is 2.9.5) is stunning and the downscale first rate. Still not quite tape maybe but pretty darn good.

Michael Slowe

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]