FORUMS: list search recent posts

EX3 HD edit- from FCP to DVD

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Joel Roberts
EX3 HD edit- from FCP to DVD
on May 17, 2010 at 3:58:11 pm

Hello, I hope someone can help..

I have a Sony EX3 and a Macbook pro running Final cut Pro7. I am new to the editing process and have just done my first edit in HD- 1080/50i. Everything seems to be fine until I come to burning it onto DVD. When I burn to disk, via DVD Pro Studio, I only seem to be able to play it on a mac. When I try and play the DVD on any other dvd player or a playstation for instance, there is an error reading the dvd.

I have been going round in circles for a few days. Can someone please shed some light on this as it is driving me crazy!

Thanks in advance.

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
Re: EX3 HD edit- from FCP to DVD
on May 17, 2010 at 4:43:25 pm

Are you trying to make an HD-DVD? those are only playable on Macs. If you want a DVD that can be played on all players, you'd need to make a PAL standard definition DVD.

Noah

Check out my book: RED: The Ultimate Guide to Using the Revolutionary Camera!
Unlock the secrets of 24p, HD and Final Cut Studio with Call Box Training. Featuring the Sony EX1 Guidebook, Panasonic HVX200, Canon EOS 5D Mark II and Canon 7D.
Watch Formosa- My indie movie shot with the SDX900 and finished with Final Cut Studio.

Return to posts index

Joel Roberts
on May 17, 2010 at 6:00:27 pm

Thanks Noah,

Do you mean change the settings in the preferences of DVD Studio pro? If so, I have tried this and the DVD then won't play on any platform. It seems to crash if I try and play it on the mac and has the same 'error reading disk' problem on other players...

Do you have any other suggestions please?

Joel

Return to posts index

Don Greening
on May 17, 2010 at 7:36:38 pm

DVD Studio Pro is capable of making 2 types of DVD:

• HD DVD which will only play on Mac computers
  • Regular SD DVD which will play in any DVD player

Noah wants you to check your settings and state which one you're trying to build.

- Don

Don Greening
Reeltime Videoworks
http://www.reeltimevideoworks.com

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on May 17, 2010 at 7:56:40 pm

Yeah forget about the "HD" settings in DVDSP- they are completely useless. If you are using DVDSP you are making a standard definition DVD and your settings need to be SD DVD, not HD anything. I wish those options would be removed as they are not capable of creating something you can play outside of the Mac. And if you're doing that, burn a nice ProRes to a Flash drive and be good to go. BTW- there is a DVD Studio Pro forum for next time:

http://www.creativecow.net/forum/view_posts.php?forumid=155

Noah

Unlock the secrets of 24p, HD and Final Cut Studio with Call Box Training. Featuring the Sony EX1 Guidebook, Panasonic HVX200, Canon EOS 5D Mark II and Canon 7D.
Watch Formosa- My indie movie shot with the SDX900 and finished with Final Cut Studio.

Return to posts index

Joel Roberts
on May 17, 2010 at 11:49:22 pm

Great stuff! got burnt DVD working on my playstation now. Thanks for help

Return to posts index

Joel Roberts
on May 18, 2010 at 12:05:45 pm

hello again,

I have one further problem now- when I play the DVD on my TV (panasonic viera) the image is slightly too big for the screen and I am losing some of the picture- something to do with the aspect ratio I guess. In the general tab of the preferences I have set the SD DVD menus.. to 16:9 Pan-scan & letterbox. Maybe I need to change this? or perhaps it something I need to amend back in FCP?

I could keep experimenting but don't want to keep burning and wasting too many blank DVD's!

Any suggestions please

Return to posts index

Don Greening
on May 18, 2010 at 4:28:59 pm

I've always set my SD DVD's to letterbox only and they play at the proper aspect ratio on a widescreen TV.

- Don

Don Greening
Reeltime Videoworks
http://www.reeltimevideoworks.com

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on May 18, 2010 at 4:38:26 pm

Describe what you're actually seeing after looking at this page:

http://www.thedigitalbits.com/articles/anamorphic/anamorphic185demo.html

Noah

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]