FORUMS: list search recent posts

Flickering lines, a way to get rid off in Post?

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Sascha Engel
Flickering lines, a way to get rid off in Post?
on May 16, 2010 at 10:19:22 am

Hi Everybody,

I shot a film on the Sony EX1 - in B&W.
In the opening sequence, there's a lot of Total shots of stills of Houses - with Balconies and many small lines.
Even though I tried to minimize the detail settings on the Cam, in some shots, those lines are still 'dancing' and have a kind of turquois color.
Which Filter or Plug In, could get rid of this problem, or at least minimize the flickering?

Thanx a lot for any suggestions!

Greetings,

Sascha

Return to posts index

Sascha Engel
Re: Flickering lines, a way to get rid off in Post?
on May 16, 2010 at 11:01:33 am

I forgot to mention - I do the OffLine Editing in FCP, Effects and Online in AE.

Sascha

Return to posts index

olof ekbergh
on May 16, 2010 at 11:14:53 am

Try the reduce interlace flicker in AE. It is adjustable and blurs in the vertical direction, it works on progressive as well.

Olof Ekbergh

Return to posts index

Sascha Engel
on May 16, 2010 at 11:35:34 am

I tried it, it does not really seem to help: I have to crank the softness up, that much, that the Whole image gets blury.
Is there any other way I could try?

I included a still of the footage.

Sascha

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on May 16, 2010 at 12:49:30 pm

Important question is how are you monitoring?
The issue could be on the monitoring side. The only time I see the twittering on thin lines is when viewing the HD material in SD and downscaling is not good.

Return to posts index

Sascha Engel
on May 16, 2010 at 1:13:38 pm

Very good Point, Craig.
But I watched it also on my HD Screen of the MacBook Pro 17inch - in original size, without scaling:
The strange turquois color fringe and some of the distortion in the lines stays.
Yes, the downscaling on my SD Monitor/Computer Screen definately makes it a little worse, but it's still present even in HD.

Which brings me to a different, but equally important question I have:
I have to online this project in Amsterdam, on my mobile MacBook Pro system, working over FW800 with External HD.
What can be the best, and low pricest workflow to do the Color Grading?
I guess, coming from an SD World - the old way of connecting an External Monitor over a DV-Deck with FW won't do it right?!?

What else can I do without spending tons of cash?

Thanx a lot for all your good advice.

P.S.: The guy who deleted the SxS card the other time was crucifed - but since we managed to restor 95% of the files, he was taken off and resurrected ;-)

Sascha

Return to posts index

Don Greening
on May 16, 2010 at 6:15:58 pm

Sascha,

Use the Flicker filter in FCP and set it to maximum. That should reduce the line twittering to an acceptable level. I've never seen a 'purple edge fringing' before so it may have something to do with shooting B/W in-camera and still having too much edge detail dialed in. A suggestion for next time would be to shoot clean and to your B/W special FX in post. And set your in-camera edge detail to virtually nothing the next time you want to shoot balconies with a ton of vertical railings :)

- Don

Don Greening
Reeltime Videoworks
http://www.reeltimevideoworks.com

Return to posts index

Sascha Engel
on May 17, 2010 at 4:44:27 am

Thanx I will try the Flicker Filter.
About shooting in Color: For the outside shots I used a strong Red Filter on the lens - to accenturate the sky and then it is better to shoot right away in B&W, otherwise you see an "infrared" image, which is really terrible to work with.
Yes, in some of the shots I did set the Detail level to 0 - and yet I got the color fringe.
Really would like to know where that comes from exactly and how to avoid it next time.

Thanx!

Return to posts index

Don Greening
on May 18, 2010 at 4:37:12 pm

[Sascha Engel] "Yes, in some of the shots I did set the Detail level to 0 - and yet I got the color fringe. "

As a test just turn the detail off completely and see if that makes a difference to the edge colour.

- Don

Don Greening
Reeltime Videoworks

Return to posts index

Sascha Engel
on May 18, 2010 at 6:12:09 pm

That is what I actually meant, that from a certain moment on, when I encountered this kind of architecture in the shooting, I set the Detail in the Menu to Off. and yet it left me with some dancing lines and fringing.
Can it be really from using B&W Filter Red?

Return to posts index

Don Greening
on May 19, 2010 at 1:59:21 am

Run a clip through FCP and apply the 3 way colour corrector. Desaturate it and see if the coloured fringing disappears. If it does then you'll know to shoot clean and apply your effects in post. If the fringing is still there but the colour is gone then shoot a short clip without using B/W. Bring that into FCP, apply CC and desaturate. See if the fringing is gone.

- Don

Don Greening
Reeltime Videoworks

Return to posts index

Sascha Engel
on May 19, 2010 at 11:39:05 am

Thanx. I will try this the next time - the shooting for this film is over.
And I personally just own a DVX100B. So I have to wait for another job with the EX series - then I will try.
If I desaturate the existing footage - the greenish is gone, but the flickering does stay.

Mmm, apparently with the new CS5 Ae and its possibility to control every channel for B&W Desaturation, it seems a much smarter idea to shoot in Colour anyway.

Thanx a lot for all the good advice! Thumbs up. :-)

Sascha

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]