FORUMS: list search recent posts

Print back to SxS card for playback in ex-3

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Colin McQuillan
Print back to SxS card for playback in ex-3
on May 14, 2010 at 7:14:40 pm

From FCP, Is it possible to print back to the ex-3?

I've tried using export to xdcam but the media setting on the ex-3 doesn't show the clip?

(Yes, i'm using the xdcam ex setting for export)

Colin McQuillan
Vancouver, B.C.

"Live, love, laugh and be happy."

Return to posts index

Colin McQuillan
Re: Print back to SxS card for playback in ex-3
on May 14, 2010 at 7:22:49 pm

To clarify..

I am trying to export from FCP to a SxS card in the express slot on a MBP.

I need to put some footage from FCP onto the the SxS card, then load the SxS card into the eX-3 so I can play the footage back on the ex-3.

Colin McQuillan
Vancouver, B.C.

Return to posts index

Colin McQuillan
on May 14, 2010 at 7:24:57 pm

I've tried Export to XDCam using the 1080i60 ex setting. This creates the correct mp4 file.. but when i put the card back in the ex-3 the clip doesn't show up in the media browser....

Colin McQuillan
Vancouver, B.C.

Return to posts index

Colin McQuillan
on May 15, 2010 at 6:56:33 pm

Work around was using the eX-3 as an HDV stream recorder via the firewire port...
Unfortunately this means creating a HDV timeline, rendering and conforming the footage, and recording only in SP mode to the camera.

It works for now.. But I'd much rather put the files back on the SxS card in the HQ full raster format...
If anybody has had success doing this I'd love to hear about it! As i mentioned in posts above, I tried the export to xdcam function from FCP to the SxS card and the media created would not playback once back in the camera....

(If you're wondering why would I want to go back to the camera, I'm on the road working on a few projects and a broadcast truck needed some footage I had on my drives. Without a HD deck, the only way they could get the footage was via the SDI port on the ex-3, so i had to get the footage they needed onto the camera so they could ingest via SDI) A Ki-Pro would have been very handy to have for this....

Colin McQuillan
Vancouver, B.C.

Return to posts index

cowcowcowcowcow
Nick Righton
on May 16, 2010 at 2:19:01 am

I use this method and it works great. You are limited to 4gb file sizes (about a 14 min timeline) due to the SXS card being FAT32 formatted. Follow the directions below.

EXPORTING FCP TO SXS CARD:
Use XDCAM TRANSFER PDZK-P1 (Version 2.9.0) software from the Sony site.
Use the SBAC-US10 Sony Card Reader or connect your camera via USB by ejecting all cards, turn off your camera, connect the USB cable, turn on the camera to Media, you should now be asked if you want to connect to USB, select execute and the viewfinder should now show a USB symbol. Insert the card you want to export to.
Start FCP and select the timeline to export and choose "EXPORT">"Sony XDCAM".
The "Sony XDCAM Export" window will open.
The "Exporting 'sequence name' to:" should be something like "Untitled" which should be your camera connected via USB or your SBAC-US10 Sony Card Reader.
The "With filename:" should be checked and use an eleven character name such as "EXP_0001_01"
The "As format:" drop down should be set to "MP4 (XDCAM EX)"
The "Using settings:" drop down should be set to the the format of your time line (assuming that it is a XDCAM EX format).
Make sure the drive where the "Create intermediate files in:" has enough space to write the temporary files or you will get a failed export notice.
Make sure that the file you are exporting is not larger than 4GB in size.
Now you can click the Export button.
After your export is complete, properly eject your card.
(If you are using your camera via USB, "eject" (or unmount is a better term) the card in the Finder, turn off the camera, disconnect the USB cable from the camera.)
Turn the camera on to the Media setting. (Insert your SxS card if it is not already in the camera.) You will not see your exported clip until you go into the camera's "Others" menu and select "Clip" and then "Update". Choose the card and execute. You clip should now show up in the thumb nails and play properly.

I wish I was good at one thing rather than average at many, but oh well.

Return to posts index

Colin McQuillan
on May 16, 2010 at 4:02:47 pm

Great!
Thanks Nick.

I was connecting the card via the express slot on the side of my Macbook Pro, not sure if that would make a difference.
I'm guessing it was the naming convention that was screwing me over... There was no mention of that in the XDCam software guide I was using for reference!

Cheers,
Colin

Colin McQuillan
Vancouver, B.C.

Return to posts index

Craig Moore
on May 20, 2010 at 6:37:19 pm

Awesome!

I couldn't find the "update" clip in the manual. That's a big help as I'm transferring back a highlight video that needs to be played back on my EX1-R during the same night as an event that happened earlier that day (marathon). So I just need a fast VTR solution that can plug in via the AV/component out.

Many thanks

Craig Moore

Spider Video
http://spidervideo.tv
XDCAM Ex1-R
MacPro FCP3

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]