FORUMS: list search recent posts

Green screen, blue screen, purple screen?

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
jim brodie
Green screen, blue screen, purple screen?
on May 13, 2010 at 12:49:00 pm

Hifolks,

I just finished a muppets type of show on green screen with an EX-1R.
I've always been told green is the best because it has the higher sampling rate and is less noisy than blue.

It worked out perfectly, except for one of the muppets was yellowish green against a green screen, an obvious keying challenge. Has anyone tried an alternate keying background (other than blue) when shooting Martians, frogs and other greenish subjects?

Your experiences would be welcomed.

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
Re: Green screen, blue screen, purple screen?
on May 13, 2010 at 2:08:46 pm

Sure you use whatever color is not already in your costumes. People have used green, red, blue, yellow, even black for luma keys. Though truth be told most folks simply change the color of the costume or makeup so that it contrasts better with green screen and then regrade that in post. For example:

https://www.editorsguild.com/Magazine.cfm?ArticleID=85

Noah

Check out my book: RED: The Ultimate Guide to Using the Revolutionary Camera!
Unlock the secrets of 24p, HD and Final Cut Studio with Call Box Training. Featuring the Sony EX1 Guidebook, Panasonic HVX200, Canon EOS 5D Mark II and Canon 7D.
Watch Formosa- My indie movie shot with the SDX900 and finished with Final Cut Studio.

Return to posts index

Will Salley
on May 14, 2010 at 6:42:14 pm

You can also help things out by adding color gels to the lighting on the background only. For instance, if you have a blue BG and think purple is needed, just add some red effects gel. You can also add more blue to pull the reds out of the lights, especially if they're tungsten. A color wheel can help determine the best color to use by picking a color opposite your character's clothing.

http://www.tigercolor.com/color-lab/color-theory/color-theory-intro.htm

Mac Pro 2x2.8 Quadcore - 10.6.3 - QT 7.6.3 - 22 GB RAM - nvidia8800GT - SATA internal & external storage - Blackmagic Multibridge Pro - Open GL 1.5.10 - Wacom Intous2 tablet - AJA io
SONY XDCAM EX3 - Letus Elite - FC7.0.2 - CS4 Prod Prem.

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on May 14, 2010 at 7:47:09 pm

I'd be leery of trying to light a screen with colored gels due to inconsistency between different lights and their distances from the screen etc. The standard practice is to select the proper screen color and light with standard lighting. The goal is uniform chroma and luma values across the whole screen. That's where a waveform/vectorscope and spot lighting meter can really make a big difference.

Noah

Check out my book: RED: The Ultimate Guide to Using the Revolutionary Camera!
Unlock the secrets of 24p, HD and Final Cut Studio with Call Box Training. Featuring the Sony EX1 Guidebook, Panasonic HVX200, Canon EOS 5D Mark II and Canon 7D.
Watch Formosa- My indie movie shot with the SDX900 and finished with Final Cut Studio.

Return to posts index

Dean Sensui
on May 17, 2010 at 3:49:18 am

I shot someone who wore a shirt that was green, but a different green from the greenscreen.

Primatte was still able to pull a key.

In your case you might want to pull the yellow-green character separately if it fouls up the other characters.

Dean Sensui -- Hawaii Goes Fishing

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]