FORUMS: list search recent posts

ex1r/ex3 decision

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
jim stamos
ex1r/ex3 decision
on May 11, 2010 at 4:32:36 am

ive been shooting alot with an ex1r to see if i want to go this route or the ex3
i love everything about it and have used the hoodman loupe which is a must but after i borrow an ex3 i will decide. my big problem with the r is that im left eyed and its not as easy on a tripod. shooting handheld isnt too bad.
i know on the 3 i wouldnt have this problem in that the viewfinder is laid out to work for me perfectly.
any ex3 users on why they went with 3 over r? removable lens isnt a factor for me on this.
i know the 3 has a pretty lame 1/2 shoulder brace.
for those using the 3 how difficult/easy is it to shoot handheld with this one . r is probably easier im thinking and for shoulder purposes im guessing people are going with something like olofs design.
ive heard the 1/2 shoulder brace isnt that great.
any comments from x3 users on their overall opinion would be great
thankis

Return to posts index

Michael Slowe
Re: ex1r/ex3 decision
on May 11, 2010 at 10:21:14 am

I too am 'left eyed' and find a problem with using the finders such as made by Hoodman. I shoot with the EX 1 and often have to hand hold and the SMI Brace as demonstrated by Philip Bloom on his site has saved my skin many times. This enables me to view the screen pretty close whilst keeping the camera really steady. I would like to use the Hoodman but can only do this using a tripod, otherwise I can't get my left eye to it. Using the screen is tricky in bright sun though, even with a good shade on it. The EX 3 would seem the best bet as regards this problem but it is heavier to hold.

Michael Slowe

Return to posts index

Clint Fleckenstein
on May 11, 2010 at 1:53:05 pm

I'm left-eyed as well, which makes guns a challenge. I shoot with both eyes open and use scopes with unlimited eye relief.

The nice thing about the EX-3 is 1) you can take the eyepiece off with the flip of a switch, and 2) you can adjust the whole viewfinder out to the left. It has a little lever underneath the microphone. This allows the whole viewfinder/LCD assembly to slide to the left a couple of inches, which makes it acceptable to me for shooting with my left eye.

The rubber piece doesn't rotate, something I think our Canons did, but I just flip the edge back and it works just fine.

We have an EX-1 and an EX-3 and I use the "big" camera the most when I have to shoot (I'm not our primary guy). I like the ergonomics but I don't hold it like a full sized shoulder cam very often. Your mileage may vary.

Bottom line in my humble opinion, an this is why we bought an EX-3 instead of second EX-1 is that the eyecup and the BNC connectors for monitoring were a significant enough feature to warrant its purchase. I don't know what the EX-1R has for monitor out, but that stupid little A/V cable used on the EX-1 (if you don't have an SDI monitor) should get somebody at Sony fired.

Cf

Return to posts index

jim stamos
on May 11, 2010 at 10:42:20 pm

true it is heavier than the ex1r, but much lighter than what i have been shooting with the dsr300. i shoot at waist level with that camera alot, so the ex3 should be no problem.
is the zoom 14x on the 3?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]