FORUMS: list search recent posts

Can't change Language in EX1R Menu

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Bob Coleman
Can't change Language in EX1R Menu
on May 5, 2010 at 8:13:23 am

Hi everone.
I'm a British guy living in China and have been using the Sony EX1 for about a year. Loved it so much, I decided to buy one for my up-coming projects, so got the upgraded EX1R.

I've been through the manual and the menus all afternoon now, and I've found that I can't change the menu language. Its in Chinese, and the option to change the language desn't seem to be in the list!! (The EX1 I used to rent had the language option)

Can anyone shed any light on this? I don't really have the time to learn to read Chinese, it took me long enough to get by with the spoken language!

Is there a way to upgrade the firmware without voiding the warantee?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks in advance.

Bob.

Return to posts index

Don Greening
Re: Can't change Language in EX1R Menu
on May 5, 2010 at 7:00:54 pm

For the EX1R it's in the OTHERS menu, the fifth line down. The choices are:

• English
  • Chinese
  • Japanese

- Don

Return to posts index

Bob Coleman
on May 6, 2010 at 9:04:48 am

Hi Don,

Thanks for your suggestion, but the fifth option in my menu is "Assign Button" and the one before is "Clock Set". The language option is missing. I have seen this once before on a Sony consumer camcorder that came from Japan - the menu was ONLY in Japanese, and the language option was missing from the menu structure.

I'm thinking now that I may have a "Region Specific" version of EX1R and/or the firmware. Does anyone else know this to be the case? and is there something I can change?

Once again, thanks in advance for any help.

Bob.

Return to posts index

Migue Toran
on Jun 14, 2010 at 3:34:50 am

Hi Bob,

Did you find any other way to change the menu language from Chinese to English? My camera supplier in Beijing is telling me that the new EX1r for the Chinese market only have the Chinese menu.

Thanks

Return to posts index

Bob Coleman
on Jun 14, 2010 at 4:11:49 am

Hi Migue,
I went to the local Sony Service Center, and the guy seemed pretty knowledgable about all things "Pro" (he had a bunch of High-End Sony kit on his benches) and I was expecting him to just connect my EX1r to some special bit of kit and fix it, but no. He spent 10 minutes going throught the menu to tell me that there is no language option in the menu at all...this I already knew.

He then phoned the Head of Englineering for Guangdong region, who told him, and then me, that it is indeed a Chinese-only version of the EX1r and that you can't get an English language option installed.

I'm not so sure this is the absolute truth. If you look at the camera, everything on the outside is printed in English, and as far as I can tell, it is the same camera sold throughout the world, but the Firmware inside is Chinese only.

There is an option to Update the Firmware in the menu but as my EX1r has the latest version, it won't let me change the firmware to the European version of the same number.
I am now waiting for version 1.2 to arrive, and I will try again.

In the meantime, I am trying to learn the Chinese charcters for the specific menu items, I do have and English manual, so I know what they mean - its just a case of recognising the menu items!

It seems a shame to me that Sony have made many improvements to the EX1 when they released the EX1r, and stupid of me not to check, but I really didn't expect the system to be Downgraded on an improved model.
Sony have let me down.

Hope this helps - Good Luck.

Bob.

Return to posts index

Migue Toran
on Jun 14, 2010 at 4:20:21 am

Thank you Bob,
It's really a pity and a lottery. A friend of mine bought the EX1R two weeks ago in Beijing with English menu but when I went to the same store the lady there told me that the lot they have just received it's only chinese language.
Sony is forcing the non chinese buyers to get the EX1R abroad because here is almost 2000$ cheaper.

thanks and if you ever get to change the language please post it here.

Return to posts index

Don Greening
on Jun 14, 2010 at 4:45:30 am

There has to be a way for a Sony Repair facility to flash an EX1R with English programming. After all, it's the same camera.

- Don

Return to posts index

Bob Coleman
on Jun 14, 2010 at 5:00:23 am

I kinda agree with you Don, but having spoken to an electronics design engineer friend of mine, he tells me that it is entirely possible for manufacturers to install a serial number-specific chip on the PCB that will prevent a firmware upload from a non-allowed source.
Although he doesn't know about this specific model, he says that effectively, that chip will ensure that the camera will only ever accept the Chinese firmware.

I hope he's wrong in this case.

We shall see.

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on Jun 14, 2010 at 6:16:19 am

That's curious; SONY is making a model of the new DVCams just for the Chines market, however the menus are in English.
rafael

http://www.nagavideo.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]