FORUMS: list search recent posts

EX1r to Flash Media Encoder on XP (Bootcamp)

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
David Mallin
EX1r to Flash Media Encoder on XP (Bootcamp)
on May 4, 2010 at 5:16:37 am

I just took delivery of a Sony EX1r for a job that requires a live video stream for several panels in addition to standard shooting. The internet distributor requires me to use the Flash Media Encoder, version 3 (not 3.1) on Windows. I have a MacBook Pro 13" (9400m graphics) with Firewire 800. I've got Windows XP SP2 running in bootcamp, a licensed copy. The Flash Media Encoder - or windows as far as I can tell - doesn't recognize the signal coming from the EX1r over firewire. I've tried both DVCAM and HDV modes with the camera set to HD, and DVCAM with the camera set to SD. Nothing works. A friends HVX200 works in DV mode, and the EX1r works fine with Flash Media Encoder 3.1 for Mac on the same machine. I've installed all the firewire updates to XP I can find. Anyone have any suggestions? Thanks!

David

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
Re: EX1r to Flash Media Encoder on XP (Bootcamp)
on May 4, 2010 at 12:53:38 pm

As both an EX1 (not r) and streaming geek, I've got a round of things to suggest. Some of these may be unrelated to your problem but I believe in being current especially when things aren't working where you are.

Update to XP SP3. Please do use the current version of FMLE on Windows (3.1). Make sure you've updated Bootcamp if needed.

Once you've done all that, test with a few other streaming apps to see if it's working with anything.
Test with Procaster (for Livestream), Wirecast, VidBlaster. The results will tell you if it's software or system related. You might want to test with Windows Media Encoder as well which can use a live source (you might need to test in DV mode). You might also want to check using Livestream's own online studio as well as Ustream. Since they use built in Flash for detection, this might tell you something also (you may need to use DV mode).

Sorry if I've given you a big homework assignment but rather than playing a guessing game, testing with these apps and circumstances will quickly narrow where the issue is.

Actually to be safe, test everything in DV mode since it's the lowest common denominator and something every computer and streaming utility can handle.

Return to posts index

David Mallin
on May 5, 2010 at 7:16:00 am

The upgrade to SP3 fixed the issue. Thanks so much!

David

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on May 5, 2010 at 2:11:13 pm

I thought that might fix it. It may be that Bootcamp drivers may need SP3

Return to posts index

David Mallin
on May 11, 2010 at 7:09:00 pm

So, actually, things aren't quite fixed. Windows XP sees the camera (and the Adobe live encoder works) when the camera is in SD mode. Unfortunately, XP and the encoder do not see the camera when the camera is set to HD, exporting DVcam (or HDV) through firewire. I don't want to lose the HD master recording in the camera to do the live encode. Any thoughts? Thanks!

Return to posts index

Gregory Kuhn
on Jan 20, 2011 at 7:26:21 pm

I have an EX-1 (not r) I am trying to stream via uStream. I cannot get my camera to be recognized by Flash Media Encoder. Is this even possible? Any help for streaming on Mac from an EX-1 would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!
Greg Kuhn

Proverbs 15:22
Without counsel, plans are frustrated, But with many counselors they succeed.

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Jan 20, 2011 at 7:34:13 pm

Why are you bothering with this on XP Bootcamp?

I use my EX1 HD-SDI to Matrox MXO2-LE and that should be recognized by Adobe FMLE 3.2 although I do it with Wirecast. Matrox MXO2 will not work (for streaming) on Windows at this point.

You might be able to use analog composite out of the camera into a Grass Vally ADVC 55. I haven't tried this but the quality ain't going to be nice.

The other option is put the camera in HDV compatible mode and try firewire out. I'm not sure if Adobe FMLE recognizes HDV though. It's worth a try as it doesn't involve buying anything. Wirecast does. If you're doing this to Ustream only regularly you buy Ustream Producer Pro with the HDV plugin which is a little less expensive than Wirecast.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]