FORUMS: list search recent posts

XDCAM EX down conversion problems in FCP

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Nik Read
XDCAM EX down conversion problems in FCP
on May 3, 2010 at 6:54:53 pm

Hi all,
I have a sequence shot in 50i on my PDW-350 that I need to include in an SD project. When I try to export the sequence to a .mov quicktime file in FCP for importing into the SD project I get a slight flicker, very evident when there's any movement on screen. It seems to be perhaps a de-interlacing problem? I'm not sure but thought that before trying loads of different settings and potentially hours of experimenting I'd try and pick the brains of you clever guys on the COW...! :)
Any advice would be VERY much appreciated.

Hope you can help,

thanks in advance,
Nik

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
Re: XDCAM EX down conversion problems in FCP
on May 3, 2010 at 7:12:36 pm

You haven't indicated exactly what your settings are when you exported (mov itself is only a wrapper also) but one possibility is a field order issue. Another might be line twitter on a downconvert.

Return to posts index

Don Greening
on May 3, 2010 at 8:29:15 pm

If there is line twitter on any and all kinds of movement then it's most likely a field order issue:

If your native 350 footage is interlaced, the field order is upper field first. If you're dropping that footage into an SD timeline then the field order changes to lower first. Make sure that's the case with your FCP settings. If you've created a progressive SD timeline then make sure the field order for all your clips is set to "none". Use Compressor to transcode your 350 footage from interlaced to progressive.

Also make sure your problem clips are all rendered in the timeline before making a quality assessment.

If there is line twitter only on thin vertical/horizontal line movement then use the FCP Flicker filter and set it to maximum.

http://www.xdcam-user.com/?p=443

- Don

Return to posts index

Nik Read
on May 4, 2010 at 10:21:03 am

Don,

That's done it, many thanks! I just made sure field order was set to none and hey presto all is good! Sometimes it's the small things that make big problems! Thanks again,
all the best
Nik

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]