FORUMS: list search recent posts

no audio in clip browser or transfer app

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Richard Krall
no audio in clip browser or transfer app
on Apr 28, 2010 at 4:09:21 pm

Recently, my clip browser and transfer app stopped playing the audio from my SxS cards from my EX1. If I go ahead and import into FCP, the audio is fine. The audio CAN be heard thru playback on the camera. The clip browser and transfer app WILL play the audio from older BPAV files stored on my drives but, not on recent recordings. I also tried copying the recently recorded SxS BPAV files to a drive with the clip browser but, the sound on those copied files also do not play in the clip browser or transfer app. It seems the CB or TA has no problem with older files, just the recent ones. Any thoughts? Thanks.

Return to posts index

Clint Fleckenstein
Re: no audio in clip browser or transfer app
on Apr 28, 2010 at 4:16:14 pm

Did somebody mess around with which channels are monitored in those apps? That happened here once and it made all clips imported after that play without sound until I figured it out. I don't know how it happened either, because it's extremely unlikely that someone here messed with that. Check your settings and preferences.

As long as you have "only import monitored channels" or something like that unchecked, the audio will come in just fine even though you can't hear it in your transfer and browser apps. If that was checked, then you wouldn't get audio with your imported clips either.

Cf

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Apr 28, 2010 at 4:54:07 pm

Given that this would likely be stored in Preferences, it may just be a case that the preferences got corrupted. So basically one can reset the setting or, especially if there may be some hidden things that might have gone awry in preferences, just toss 'em and reset any of the custom changes you might have made if any.

Return to posts index

Richard Krall
on Apr 28, 2010 at 5:05:42 pm

Thanks Clint and Craig!
I'm the only one on this computer so, I don't think anything was intentionally reset or messed up.
The idea of the preferences being corrupted is one I will investigate as soon as I can get back from New Orleans in a few days. Let you know then.
Thanks so much again!
rk

Return to posts index

Clint Fleckenstein
on Apr 28, 2010 at 6:48:42 pm

I've learned that corrupted preferences are a way of life in MacOS. :) It's amazing the nonsensical hilarity that can ensue on your Mac if this happens.

Cf

Return to posts index

Clint Fleckenstein
on Apr 28, 2010 at 6:49:56 pm

Oh, by the way, you can highlight a group of clips in your app and check the channels you want, so it's really not a huge deal to set your clips back to the way you want them.

Cf

Return to posts index

Don Greening
on Apr 28, 2010 at 6:58:00 pm

This situation has happened (and continues to happen) to a local EX1 user. She has to click to activate each audio track for every clip in XDCAM Transfer. She says this started happening "out of the blue" and has no idea how to change it back to the default of always having the audio um, audible.

To be honest I haven't devoted any time to figuring out why it happens. I guess because it doesn't happen to me.

- Don

Return to posts index

Clint Fleckenstein
on Apr 28, 2010 at 7:20:11 pm

In my limited experience, once a person corrects the Preferences in XDCAM Transfer it should stay that way (and apply to all clips imported with it). She may have to trash her cached files.

Cf

Return to posts index

Richard Krall
on Apr 28, 2010 at 8:16:32 pm

Trashing the prefs didn't seem to help but, I have a little time before I leave town so, I made a test. The trouble clips were made with an external mic with the correct settings for that on camera. Without a doubt, there is audio present because you can hear it on playback in camera and it imports to FCP perfectly with audio intact.

My test was to use the on-board internal mic set to 'internal' and 'automatic'. The audio from this test clip now plays fine in the clip browser. It seems the problem arises when an external mic is connected. I must mention that we only had one mic connected to input 2 and no mic in input 1. Settings for the mic were (both channels/inputs) 'external' and 'manual' with volume knob set to approximately 8 on channel 2. Again, there is definitely audio on channel 2 as import to FCP proves it but, the clip browser and/or the file transfer app does not play it. Could there be a glitch when using one external mic? My next test will be to plug 2 external mics in and see what happens then. I, recently, shot a small concert with feeds to the xlr inputs from the mixing board and these play fine in the clip browser, too. Thanks for the posts, you guys. Let you know what I find out.

Return to posts index

Richard Krall
on Apr 28, 2010 at 8:52:55 pm

OK, further testing...
when one external mic is plugged into input 2, the clip browser and transfer app will not play the audio portion even though it is actually there and will play fine in FCP.

If one mic is plugged into input 1, no mic in input 2, CB and TA play the audio no problem. Same result if 2 mics are plugged in or if no mics are in and internal mic is used. Seems cb and ta do not like it when there is only audio on channel 2. in my case anyhoo. Thank you guys for your responses.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]