FORUMS: list search recent posts

steadicam/glidecam reco's

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Chandler Kauffman
steadicam/glidecam reco's
on Apr 25, 2010 at 9:37:08 pm

Hey all, looking for a recommendation for a light weight stabilizer system for my EX1, that could ideally work with my Canon 5D mark 2 when needed.
There are older posts about this but I'd love to hear from people who have been using these for a while now and what works, what sucks
Thanks

Sony EX1
Canon 5d mark 2
FCP 6.06

Return to posts index

Don Greening
Re: steadicam/glidecam reco's
on Apr 26, 2010 at 4:42:54 am

I've used the Glidecam 4000 with acceptable results with an EX3. It might be small enough to use with the 5D and EX1. It's just a matter of proper counterweighting and setting the arm spring tension to match each device.

I don't own a stabilizer system but want to try others out before I make a purchase. Or maybe you weren't asking about a full on Glidecam/SteadiCam rig at all, but just a hand held stabilizer system. Can't help you there.

- Don

Return to posts index

Clint Fleckenstein
on Apr 26, 2010 at 1:10:16 pm

We have a Steadicam Merlin vest rig. The EX1 is just barely light enough to work with this system; throwing on a wide angle adapter or other accessory is a no-go. With just the camera, though, we've had fantastic results.

A stabilizer suitable for a 7 pound camcorder might not work that great for a DSLR, but if you have a battery grip and some L-series glass on that 5D I would bet you're getting in a comparable range. One of our part-timers got the T1i when it first came out and ran around with the Merlin for a bit, but he found his camera was too light for the stabilizer to work properly.

Cf

Return to posts index

Chandler Kauffman
on Apr 26, 2010 at 2:21:30 pm

Thanks guys. What's the learning curve like with the Merlin and the Glidecam 4000? Looking for something that I can get comfortable with in about a day of testing and playing around

Sony EX1
Canon 5d mark 2
FCP 6.06

Return to posts index

Brian Moore
on Apr 26, 2010 at 6:58:06 pm

One day? You better be a fast learner...

Return to posts index

Don Greening
on Apr 26, 2010 at 7:00:58 pm

[Brian Moore] "One day? You better be a fast learner..."

You read my mind.

- Don

Return to posts index

Chandler Kauffman
on Apr 26, 2010 at 7:10:10 pm

Probably over ambitious. Looking to rent for an upcoming shoot and buy if I like it, thus the compressed timeframe.
The problem is really focus, if I can't go tight and get nice moves and good focus (especially with the no DOF 5D) then I might as well just upgrade my handlheld rig. Feel like it's also a bad precedent to set with clients, doing complex camera work without a proper AC pulling focus.
Any handheld rigs you guys like? I have a Zacuto for my 5D that isn't beefy enough for the EX1

Sony EX1
Canon 5d mark 2
FCP 6.06

Return to posts index

Clint Fleckenstein
on Apr 26, 2010 at 7:58:47 pm

Not only are these things a soft science, they use all those little muscles you never ever use for anything. That means two days after the shoot you'll feel it :)

Cf

Return to posts index

Thomas Vecsei
on Apr 27, 2010 at 10:43:36 am

I use the Glidecam 4000 Pro and the X-10 for both EX1 and 5D mk II. On the base plate I added one included plate to increase weigth and on top a Manffrotto-quick release.

With the EX1 I have to use 10 counterweight disks, with the 5D 4 of them. With this configuration I don't have to remove / add 2 X-10 springs when switching between EX1 and 5D. In theory it would be better to use only 2 fully tensioned springs vs. 4 springs with low tension, but I don't have simply the time for this.

With respect to image stability and operation for me there is no noticeable difference.

best regards
Thomas

Thomas Vecsei
info@eventfilm.at
http://eventfilm.at
http://www.facebook.com/eventfilm

Return to posts index

Brent Dunn
on May 3, 2010 at 7:10:43 pm

I use the glidecam with the X-10 also for the EX1, but when I'm on the 5D or 7D I don't need to use the vest. I can hand hold the 5D / 7D for a long time with no problems. The EX-1, wear's me out even with the vest...(I'm not getting any younger).

Brent Dunn
Owner / Director / Editor
DunnRight Video.com

Sony EX-1, V1U
Cannon 5D Mark II
Cannon 7D
Mac Pro Tower, Quad Core,
with Final Cut Studio

HP i7 Quad laptop
w/ Adobe CS-4 Production Suite, After Effects
& CS-5 Production Suite. Window's 7

Manfrotto Tripod's & Heads

Return to posts index

Don Greening
on May 3, 2010 at 8:32:04 pm

[Brent Dunn] "The EX-1, wear's me out even with the vest...(I'm not getting any younger). "

I plan on living forever. So far so good.

- Don

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]