FORUMS: list search recent posts

xdcam and p2

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
john marino
xdcam and p2
on Apr 22, 2010 at 7:06:19 pm

Hello,

I do not know which topic i should post this under so I have decided to ask the XD camera group. I have a shoot coming up and we are going to use an XDcam and a P2. I am going to work on this in FCP 5. I am going to run some test footage, so to avoid a headache of rendering issues what can i shoot in to avoid rendering? am i just basically screwed because one is DVCpro and the other DVcam? I planned on shooting in 720p30p for the XDcam and 720p30pn for the p2. Either way it seems I cannot find a happy medium to maximize my card capacity for both cameras. the XDcam gets more space off of 1080 and the P2 gets more space off 720 in PN. wish I had two identical cameras...

thank you for whatever wisdom you bestow upon me.

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
Re: xdcam and p2
on Apr 22, 2010 at 7:49:28 pm

Just out of curiosity why 30p? Very inflexible format in post. I'd suggest 720p/24p for both cameras unless there's some real specific aesthetic reason you want 30p. As for the codecs- it depends on your system specs and version of FCP but getting them to play in the same timeline is not that difficult. And if it becomes a problem you can always conform everything to ProRes HQ 720p with a Compressor droplet and you'll be all set.

Noah

Check out my book: RED: The Ultimate Guide to Using the Revolutionary Camera!
Unlock the secrets of 24p, HD and Final Cut Studio with Call Box Training. Featuring the Sony EX1 Guidebook, Panasonic HVX200, Canon EOS 5D Mark II and Canon 7D.
Watch Formosa- My indie movie shot with the SDX900 and finished with Final Cut Studio.

Return to posts index

Don Greening
on Apr 22, 2010 at 7:56:30 pm

[Noah Kadner] "And if it becomes a problem you can always conform everything to ProRes HQ 720p with a Compressor droplet and you'll be all set. "

He's only got FCP 5, Noah.

- Don

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Apr 22, 2010 at 8:15:56 pm

You can download ProRes decoder from Apple's site
http://support.apple.com/downloads/Apple_ProRes_QuickTime_Decoder_1_0_for_M...
Which I believe you can use in FCP5.

Return to posts index

john marino
on Apr 22, 2010 at 8:59:20 pm

Why 30p? honestly, I Don't know why. I guess I have gotten used to working in 30 frames. I haven't experimented with 24 frames. And I just found out the version of FCP I am using cannot support XDCam in 720. Now I'm changing my shooting to 1080i60i for both cameras. I have shot in 60i and have found it handles motion pretty smoothly. Downside is that I'll have to make this all into 4:3 for a DVD. any issues with making my timeline settings for DV off the bat? Seeing how I'll have to render anyway for both formats might as well get one step closer to my end product.

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Apr 22, 2010 at 9:27:33 pm

FCP5 does NOT handle XDCAM EX at all which is what you're using since you said "card" and not "disc."

Return to posts index

Chris Babbitt
on Apr 23, 2010 at 4:53:03 am

Just curious, Noah. Why is 30p an inflexible format in post?

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Apr 22, 2010 at 8:11:52 pm

[john marino] "we are going to use an XDcam and a P2. I am going to work on this in FCP 5"

So a masochist walks up to an EMT worker and says, "I'm going to jump off that 30 story building over there so I was wondering if you could tell me which shoes hurt the least when I hit the ground?"

I apologize but that what your question translates to in my head.

[john marino] "so to avoid a headache of rendering issues what can i shoot in to avoid rendering?"
Use two cameras with the same codec.

[john marino] " am i just basically screwed because one is DVCpro and the other DVcam"
Why are you using the xdcam camera is DVcam mode?

[john marino] "I planned on shooting in 720p30p for the XDcam and 720p30pn for the p2. Either way it seems I cannot find a happy medium to maximize my card capacity for both cameras. the XDcam gets more space off of 1080 and the P2 gets more space off 720 in PN. wish I had two identical cameras... "
And you are getting information about card record time from . . .?

XDCAM uses the same amount of card space regardless of frame size and frame rate (sans overcranking). It's all 35mbps whether 720p24 or 1080p30.

And an answer is
If you're concerned primarily about card space shoot 720p24n for DVCProHD (which will use least card space in that codec) and 720p24 for XDCAM EX so you have matching frame rate. Then you should encode everything to AppleProRes to use in FCP5.
You'd need to download the ProRes Decoder
http://support.apple.com/downloads/Apple_ProRes_QuickTime_Decoder_1_0_for_M...
I'm not sure what you'd do to encode your sources to it.
You should probably upgrade to FCP7 (FCS3)

You'd have to upgrade to FCP7 to use EX codec BTW.

You do NOT want to convert XDCAM to DVCProHD or visa versa as their would be a quality hit going from one compressed codec to another compressed codec.

Obviously there's a budget issue because an alternate answer would be
Rent a 2nd XDCAM EX camera
Shoot 1080p30 (assuming you want 30fps)
Upgrade to FCP7 (FCS3)

or
Rent a 2nd DVCProHD camera
Shoot 720p24n (if you want to maximize record time on the P2 cards)
You can edit in DVCProHD in FCP5

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]