FORUMS: list search recent posts

Best place to buy EX1

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Marcus Eden
Best place to buy EX1
on Apr 19, 2010 at 5:37:16 pm

So I am shopping around for an EX1 and looking for the best price. Just standard camera package no extras and thought that someone could point me in the right direction as far as getting the best deal...

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
Re: Best place to buy EX1
on Apr 19, 2010 at 5:43:03 pm

Best deal and best place are not necessarily the same.
Also it may depend on where you live.

Generally I'd trust B&H for best price but Armato's will give you a free loaner if your camera goes in for repair.

Return to posts index

Marcus Eden
on Apr 19, 2010 at 6:32:34 pm

I live in Scottsdale AZ

Return to posts index

Clint Fleckenstein
on Apr 19, 2010 at 6:58:43 pm

Since we don't have a local dealer here, B&H all the way. They're the best.

Cf

Return to posts index

Ronnie Martin
on Apr 19, 2010 at 10:06:30 pm

I totally agree that B&H or Armatos in NY are the best places to buy a new camera. I have bought several cameras from Dennis Hopkins at Armatos and their service after the sale is second to none. I had a new camera go down on me the first time I shot with it and they sent me another camera next day special delivery so that I could make my next gig 200 miles away. Their prices are competive with B&H. I have bought cameras from B&H prior to the last three cameras I bought from Armatos and have not had to use their after the sale service. I think that they use a service company when you buy and extended service policy or you have to send the camera back to Sony rather than interact with them on a loner or replacement basis. In my case the camera came the next day and I shipped the defective one back to them several days later.

The after the sale service from Armatos is the best in the business.

Good Luck

Ronnie Martin

Ronnie Martin
Kato Video Productions
http://www.dirtracingvideo.com

Return to posts index

Steve Wargo
No to B&H
on Apr 27, 2010 at 5:38:06 am

I buy my Sony EX cameras from BandPro in Burbank. Call Seth Emmons 818-841-9655 or seth.emmons@bandpro.com

Don't buy from a box house. Buy from a dealer that will give you support when you need it.

Steve Wargo
Tempe, Arizona
It's a dry heat!

Sony HDCAM F-900 & HDW-2000/1 deck
5 Final Cut (not quite PRO) systems
Sony HVR-M25 HDV deck
2-Sony EX-1 HD .

Ask me how to Market Yourself using Send Out Cards

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
Re: No to B&H
on Apr 27, 2010 at 11:35:32 am

I believe BandPro now has a NYC office as well.

I guess it depends on what type of support you need from a dealer. I bought my EX from Armato's, not B&H, because Armato's is one of the very few Sony authorized repair centers in NYC (although I don't think Sony will let them touch the EX unfortunately) and they do provide a free loaner if your camera can't be turned around in 48 hours. That loaner deal even holds for out of warranty service.

Return to posts index

Dean Sensui
on Apr 19, 2010 at 10:05:41 pm

Just FYI, I purchased both EX1's from Video Life here in Hawaii to support our local dealership. Great service: he let me try one out for a day before I made my final decision.

Dean Sensui -- Hawaii Goes Fishing

Return to posts index

john sharaf
on Apr 20, 2010 at 12:22:08 am

FYI, Sony controls the pricing of this camera such that all dealers sell at the same discount. Therefore it's really a matter of trying to save sales tax by buying out of state vs. the cost of shipping. I work with a dealer in San Francisco called FH Video who is very trustworthy so you might consider them as well!

HS

Return to posts index

Bob Tompkins
on Apr 20, 2010 at 5:20:46 pm

Just bought 3-EX1R's from Rule Broadcast in Boston. The price was $6,299.00 which is the same at B&H and another camera dealer I quoted. Rule delivered them and set them up. There has to be a Sony dealer in your area which will do the same. You should always have a relationship with someone in your area for an important purchase such as this. I use B&H for almost everything else.

Return to posts index

Tom Grotting
on Apr 21, 2010 at 5:26:29 pm

You are subject to use tax no matter where you buy it!

The IRS will enjoy sending a recent college grad to pick through your reciepts.

Someday, I promise. It happened to us. You will owe the taxman.

Tom

Tom Grotting
Digital Pictures
Minneapolis

Return to posts index

Bob Tompkins
on Apr 21, 2010 at 7:01:55 pm

I just want it clearly stated for the record that I said nothing about not paying the required taxes on this equipment.

Although technically, since we use this equipment for R&D we are not required to pay Mass state sales tax.

These posts are anonymous, right?

Return to posts index

Tom Grotting
on Apr 21, 2010 at 7:35:36 pm

my comment was not directed at you in particular.

I am just a fan of buying local.

Yes! anonymous!

Tom Grotting
Digital Pictures
Minneapolis

Return to posts index

Marcus Eden
on Apr 21, 2010 at 7:37:03 pm

Thanks everyone for the recommendations. I've decided to go with B&H

Return to posts index

Steve Wargo
Yes BOB
on Apr 27, 2010 at 5:47:27 am

Yeah Bob, the COW is entirely encripted from any government enterprize. However, somewhere out there is a tax exemption for buying digital cameras and equipment for broadcast because of the federal mandate for the digital conversion. I have NO IDEA where to find info on it but certain things are sales tax exempt.

Steve Wargo
Tempe, Arizona
It's a dry heat!

Sony HDCAM F-900 & HDW-2000/1 deck
5 Final Cut (not quite PRO) systems
Sony HVR-M25 HDV deck
2-Sony EX-1 HD .

Ask me how to Market Yourself using Send Out Cards

Return to posts index

Dean Sensui
on Apr 21, 2010 at 8:10:17 pm

Depends on what state it's purchased in.

Here in Hawaii, there's a general excise sales tax that's charged for anything bought here (4.712% on Oahu).

If you buy mail order the sales tax isn't charged except by Apple. Technically everyone should be charging this, but it would be a bookkeeping nightmare for a mail order company: Having to know how much each state charges for GE tax, then file paperwork and payment for all 50 states.

Sometimes for us here it's a tradeoff: a dealer can match NY prices. However you pay the sales tax. On the other hand, there's a savings on shipping. Plus there's that hands-on experience.

Dean Sensui -- Hawaii Goes Fishing

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]