FORUMS: list search recent posts

Thoughts on EX1 as main camera and the 5D mark2 as second cam?

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Daniel Archer
Thoughts on EX1 as main camera and the 5D mark2 as second cam?
on Apr 17, 2010 at 9:54:31 pm

I am currently in the process of updating our production cameras, our 10 year old XL1s have been great over the last decade but are starting to show the mileage. I have jumped on the band wagon and I am completely in love with the Canon 5D's images. But I still want the ability to do a long interview or record a live event without my camera "needing a rest" and be able to keep studio/cleint oreinted situations (video ins and outs, audio ins and outs, TC ins and outs, etc). So I was looking at getting the Sony PMW EX1 or EX3 and then the Canon 5D for a second camera. Will it be a pain trying to match the colors/look in post or will it be a piece of cake because they both have the full CMOS censors? Or am I comparing apples and oranges?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Daniel Archer

Return to posts index

olof ekbergh
Re: Thoughts on EX1 as main camera and the 5D mark2 as second cam?
on Apr 18, 2010 at 7:53:20 pm

You are comparing different fruit.

That said I have an EX3, an EX1R, a Canon 5DmkII, and a Canon 7D as well as a couple old SD cams.

I have several times used footage from all those in the same production. Not as A B cams in an interview or even the same scene from different angles. I go either EX or DSLR in each scene. It is probably possible to match them somewhat, but the looks are very different.

The EXcams especially with NanoFlash are excellent video cameras.

The Canons are fantastic low light and SDOF cams, but have terrible video cam ergonomics, and the codec has huge problems with lots of detail or straight lines in focus, incredible moire problems etc. But used for what they do well they are fantastic. Wide angle interiors are a real strength as well as shooting very stealthily.

I guess the sort answer is yes they complement each other very well. But they are very different animals.

Olof Ekbergh

Return to posts index

Daniel Archer
on Apr 19, 2010 at 12:41:00 am

Thank you Olof for responding. That info is helpful. Your named looked familiar because I had read a forum post from you on DVINFO on a similar topic. It seems like everyone has their two cents to offer to this topic. Have you shot anything with a Nikon? I do have a Nikon SLR and several lenses, so that would be nice to be able to use those lenses.

Daniel Archer

Return to posts index

olof ekbergh
on Apr 19, 2010 at 6:48:54 am

As you probably know you can use Nikon lenses on the Canons with adapters, if they are the older manual iris ones anyway. There may be newer electronic adapters as well. I used a 50mm 1.4 Nikon with a $40.00 adapter in the beginning with my 5D to get manual Iris control, this is not necessary with the new firmware. It worked very well.

You can also use Nikon lenses on the EX3, though 200mm is probably as long as you would like to go, this is also with an adapter. Mostly people do this to get longer tele capability.

I have not used Nikons since the 70's, but from what I understand the only HD they currently do is 720, not 1080. I am sure that will change soon.

Olof Ekbergh

Return to posts index

Brent Dunn
on Apr 22, 2010 at 4:29:34 pm

I also shoot with the EX 1, 7D, & 5D. I'm actually amazed at just how compatible color wise this cameras are. Yes, there will be subtle differences, but as you use them more, you'll be able to set you cam's to match even more.

The EX-1 is a great cam. Get at least one 32G SxS adapter and a SD card adapter to give you additional cards at a much cheaper cost.

The 7D does have overheating issues, which arise when shooting in the heat. Both Cam's only record 12 minute clips. Hopefully they will make a firmware update to allow longer recording, but the Sensor's may not be able to handle the additional workload.

Brent Dunn
DunnRight Video.com

Brent Dunn
Owner / Director / Editor
DunnRight Video.com

Return to posts index

Chandler Kauffman
on Apr 26, 2010 at 7:15:53 pm

Hey Brent, have you figured out any profile settings on the 5D and EX that or reasonably similar, or do you just match them in post?
MY EX profile is pretty contrasty, which I love, and my 5D very neutral as so many people have recommended. Wondering if there's a middle ground

Sony EX1
Canon 5d mark 2
FCP 6.06

Return to posts index

Brent Dunn
on Apr 30, 2010 at 6:26:57 am

Chandler:

I use Doug Jensen's preset. I don't use a preset on the 5D or 7D yet.
Doug produced the video that was included in Sony's rebate by Vortex Media. You can also search for Vortex Media and find the settings online.

It's still not perfect, but pretty close.

Brent Dunn
Owner / Director / Editor
DunnRight Video.com

Return to posts index

Evan Howell
on Oct 17, 2013 at 9:14:13 am

Hi, it's been awhile since this post, but I've got a job coming up where the client wants to try and use my PMW-200 and Canon 5d MK 3 as A/B cameras. I own Doug Jensen's CD and my question is, is the profile to which you refer, his "Natural" setting?
Thanks,
Evan Howell

Return to posts index

Lynn Weissman
on Nov 23, 2014 at 1:17:29 am
Last Edited By Lynn Weissman on Nov 23, 2014 at 12:17:36 pm

Hi, Evan,

Did you ever get or figure out an answer to your question?:

[I've got a job coming up where the client wants to try and use my PMW-200 and Canon 5d MK 3 as A/B cameras. I own Doug Jensen's CD and my question is, is the profile to which you refer, his "Natural" setting?"]

I have the same question about using my Sony PMW-200 with Canon 5D III! Thanks.

Lynn Weissman
Weisswoman Productions
https://vimeo.com/weisswomanprodns
Canon EOS 5D Mark III, with EF USM L-series lenses: 16-35mm, 24-70mm, 70-200mm, 50 mm. Sony PMW-200, Sony Z7U, Sony Z1Us, Mac iMac (Model iMac12,2, 3.1 GHz, Memory: 20 GB), Final Cut 7.0.3

Return to posts index

Jill Roberts
on Jan 22, 2015 at 8:55:06 pm

I'm wondering the same thing. I just acquired an EX1r that I plan to use with my 7D. Did anyone find any good resources for profile settings?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]