FORUMS: list search recent posts

EX1 Playback and SDI out issues

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Nathan Bezner
EX1 Playback and SDI out issues
on Apr 17, 2010 at 9:31:51 pm

Hello all, I'm having a problem with my EX1 and I was hoping someone around here might have a solution.

I just recently got off a small indie feature shoot where we were using my camera. On-set I used an HD monitor for critical focus through the SDI on my EX1, so I know it did in fact work at one point. Now, I'm trying to route the SDI through a Kona LHe to get 4:2:2 recording. However, the Kona does not seem to recognize the EX1 at all. I'm fairly certain it isn't a Kona issue as it does recognize an XDCAM deck through the HD/SDI.

Now, I'm also having a problem with clip playback, which also wasn't an issue on set until near the end when I started getting the E-15030 error after an unfortunate bumping incident (damned meat props and their lack of technical etiquette). Whenever I try to play back clips from the media setting on the camera it locks up and I have to shut down. The clip playback wasn't as essential for me and I had another gig just after that one so I ignored it. However, now I need that SDI out and it doesn't appear to be working either. The component out seems to be working just fine.

I'm wondering if the two issues aren't related. I've been told there's a way to reseat a card within the camera itself, though I've no idea which card this is. I don't mind getting down and dirty, I'm just not comfortable tinkering randomly until something works.

The camera has been recently upgraded to the 1.20 firmware and no longer shows the E-15030 error. Has anyone else run into this issue before or have any suggestions as to how to go about figuring this thing out?

Thank you!

-N

Return to posts index

David Burch
Re: EX1 Playback and SDI out issues
on Apr 24, 2010 at 10:17:13 pm

Not sure if the two are related, but I would double check all your settings on the Kona and on the camera for your HDSDI out. Is the component out that you say works sending SD video or HD? If it's SD, you need to switch a menu setting before the SDI will send HD video. Also, make sure the formats you are working with match. For instance, if your camera is in 1080p24 HQ, but you don't have the 1080 mode set to PSF, the camera is actually sending out 1080i video with a 3:2 pulldown, so the Kona won't recognize the video properly if it's expecting 24p PSF or progressive.

Return to posts index

Nathan Bezner
on Apr 25, 2010 at 5:53:54 pm

Thank you for responding! I actually had the same thought, so I borrowed a friend's EX1 and ran some tests - worked perfectly, the direct capture was gorgeous. I called my Sony rep and he walked me through re-seating one of the internal cards. Didn't work. So, I sent it off to Clark Powell to be repaired. Now I'm waiting to hear back. I was just hoping this would be a, hopefully, easier fix than a full-on repair. Oh well. Thank you!

-N

Return to posts index

Dave McGrath
on Jan 11, 2011 at 7:04:18 pm

Hey Nathan - I'm having the same problem with an EX-1 regarding the playback. I got the same error message, upgraded to V 1.25 firmware, and now just get a beeping red light when I try to playback.

What did the repair shop end up doing?

-dave

Return to posts index

Nathan Bezner
on Jan 14, 2011 at 2:12:08 pm

They replaced an entire motherboard for $1700. It was awful.

-N

Return to posts index

Dave McGrath
on Jan 14, 2011 at 2:42:43 pm

Oof! Thanks much for your response. I took out the internal battery last night and am giving it 24 hopeful hours that it resets something.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]