FORUMS: list search recent posts

Palmcorder recommendations with EX-1

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Robert Lagerstrom
Palmcorder recommendations with EX-1
on Apr 16, 2010 at 4:46:12 pm

I am shooting a documentary and need an small HD palmcorder to use where I can't set up my EX-1 on a tripod or in places where I need to be a tourist.

Any recommendations for image quality and format compatibility. I know most consumer cameras are AVCHD so I will have to convert to .mp4

TIA, Rob

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
Re: Palmcorder recommendations with EX-1
on Apr 16, 2010 at 5:02:37 pm

You might be able to get away with JVC-HM100 and use the same XDCAM EX codec. With the top handle removed it looks very much like a small camcorder to many people.

Alternately you could use a Canon Vixia AVCHD camera. I've often used these as "B" cameras to my EX1.

Return to posts index

Robert Lagerstrom
on Apr 19, 2010 at 2:49:13 pm

Thank you for your response. It seems to be a toss up between the Canon and the Panasonic tm700k. I am leaning towards the Panny since it is a newer camera and has better specs for still images (not that I realyy need that feature)

Return to posts index

Cade Muhlig
on Apr 16, 2010 at 9:05:28 pm

Exactly our position. We need to look like a tourist sometimes, and need a camera to use in tight scenarios.
Check out the Panasonic tm700k. It just came out like this month, and has gotten some really great reviews. 1080p, good in low light, small, weighs less than a pound. The version with the hard drive is $400 more, but i dont think it's worth it. I'd rather not have to hook up the camera to the computer every time anyway.
It is avchd, but I'll convert it to prores before editing.
I don't have one yet, but will make the purchase today.

Return to posts index

Robert Lagerstrom
on Apr 19, 2010 at 2:52:18 pm

I compared all the recommendations to my original post. The TM700k like the best cam for my needs.
Thanks for your reply.

Return to posts index

Ronnie Martin
on Apr 16, 2010 at 9:08:45 pm

I have been using a Sony 520v and shooting full HD with it. Surprisingly, it looks pretty good when cut with the Ex-3. It has large hard drive and is just about as big as your hand. We shoot dirt racing video and use the small camcorder to get in-car shots and close ups when a wreck happens.

Ronnie

Ronnie Martin
Kato Video Productions
http://www.dirtracingvideo.com

Return to posts index

Robert Lagerstrom
on Apr 19, 2010 at 2:53:42 pm

The Sony looks good spec-wise, but I would like the ability to use an external mic.
Thanks for your recommendations.
Rob

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]