FORUMS: list search recent posts

New EX1-R users: your reports of ability to perform a feathered very slow zoom?

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
John Vasey
New EX1-R users: your reports of ability to perform a feathered very slow zoom?
on Apr 16, 2010 at 1:40:45 am

I'm considering buying this camera and would use it for interviews and B roll a large amount of the time. My interviews usually involve studio type lighting and an almost imperceptible zoom in or out.

I just came from the NAB but the display camera stuttered on a very slow zoom using the hand grip rocker switch. I then disengaged the zoom servo and put the zoom on manual. The play in the zoom ring did not allow me to do a feathered zoom with my fingers and the gear ratio hand turning it was quite high...defeating my goal of getting something very slow.

Has anyone had success with this? Does the zoom rocker on the top handle have any advantage in trying to do a feathered very slow zoom...without the stutter? I know you can program in a "shot transition," but in reading the manual this will not work with a zoom speed of less than 20...if you go lower than that number, the shot transition will then go from "soft--easing in/out" mode to "linear"--a more abrupt start/stop.

I have read of stuttering zoom issues across several forums...but it seems that it is sporadic and random...some owners have it on a recurring basis...and other owners have never experienced it.

I was wondering if the more recent buyers of the EX1-R were having the same issue...or perhaps there have been refinements to the zoom servos in the production line and perhaps newer models may not have the issue?

It would be great to hear from owners who have bought this camera in the last few months...and see what their findings are. This is important to me as it would be a significant factor in the kind of work that I do.

I know about the various third party zoom controllers which can help but I am hoping for an in-camera solution.

Many thanks for any advice you can share...

John

Return to posts index

Bala Chandran
Re: New EX1-R users: your reports of ability to perform a feathered very slow zoom?
on Apr 16, 2010 at 4:58:59 am

I have an EX1 and EX3 at the Sony service center in NJ and the service person called and told me today that the stuttering on my EX3 is 'normal.' I said that was not mentioned in the manual, he said 'it is mentioned in the addendum that was released later, and specifications change.' I said if this was mentioned in the manual I would have returned it to the dealer because crawl zoom is part of my everyday work. My EX1 doesn't have the problem so I trusted that the EX3 would be only better, not worse. He tells me to get a better lens. If I had that kind of money I would have bought an F900. Anyway, Sony gave us a good camera but goofed on the lens, and now when everybody is complaining they 'change the specs' so they have an argument. Reminds me of the recent Toyota debacle although it is not a comparable analogy.
-BC

Return to posts index

olof ekbergh
Re: New EX1-R users: your reports of ability to perform a feathered very slow zoom?
on Apr 16, 2010 at 12:32:40 pm

There definitely are issues with the EX lenses, some are great and some do stutter.

Sony replaced one for me on an EX3 and now it works very well.

My new EX1R (last December) is not as smooth, but it is acceptable for a $6,000.00 camera.

I would definitely buy from a dealer that will allow you to try the camera and replace it if it is not smooth.

It is not a $20,000.00 lens so don't expect it to behave like one, but for a cheap HD lens it is very good.

Olof Ekbergh

Return to posts index

Bruce Quayle
on Apr 19, 2010 at 7:56:36 am

I just bought my EX1r last week from B&H and have detected the issue you mention on super-slow zoom. I was beginning to think it was my own fault, so thank you for putting that to rest. Alas, it appears that the issue is inherent with even the latest cameras. I have just updated the firmware...but haven't tested the zoom since. But I really doubt this will have any effect.
Cheers,

Bruce Quayle

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]