FORUMS: list search recent posts

Can You Display Clip Numbers in Viewfinder on EX-1?

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Barry O'Brien
Can You Display Clip Numbers in Viewfinder on EX-1?
on Apr 15, 2010 at 12:45:45 pm

I am going out on a shoot with my EX-1 where, at the end of the day I will be turning over a hard drive full of folders, by scene, of BPAV XDCAM clips.

Is there a way to display the clip number in the viewfinder, rather than time code? It would be so much better if I could identify the "keeper" by clip number rather than time code. Otherwise, I have to go back afterwards and crate a list of Clip Numbers from the time code log.

Any suggestions?

Thank you,

Barry O'Brien

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
Re: Can You Display Clip Numbers in Viewfinder on EX-1?
on Apr 15, 2010 at 4:00:18 pm

In the playback mode- sure. You can also mark clips good that will show up in the Clip transfer software- which is a lot simpler than taking notes manually.

Noah

Check out my book: RED: The Ultimate Guide to Using the Revolutionary Camera!
Unlock the secrets of 24p, HD and Final Cut Studio with Call Box Training. Featuring the Sony EX1 Guidebook, Panasonic HVX200, Canon EOS 5D Mark II and Canon 7D.
Watch Formosa- My indie movie shot with the SDX900 and finished with Final Cut Studio.

Return to posts index

Barry O'Brien
on Apr 15, 2010 at 4:16:33 pm

Thanks Noah.

I am trying to avoid switching back and forth to playback. When working ith actors, it's a distraction.

I have always had it display time code. Is there a way to make it display the current or last clip number in the viewfinder? That would be a great feature.

Regards,

Barry O'Brien

Return to posts index

Jay Gladwell
on Apr 15, 2010 at 8:06:30 pm

That's what log sheets and camera assistants are for! ;o)

Return to posts index

Chris Babbitt
on Apr 15, 2010 at 8:28:23 pm

I'm totally with Barry on this one. It would be a great feature, and really should be there already. Even when using a camera assistant and log sheet, it's easy to lose track, especially if you often delete bad clips.

Return to posts index

Barry O'Brien
on Apr 19, 2010 at 3:14:06 pm

Sadly, in corporate communications, the day of budgets large enough to accommodate assistants is long gone! Fortunately, in this next shoot, I have two assistants - but the Sony XDCAM work flow process is still awkward.

If you roll and the actor makes a mistake in the first few seconds, or there is a noise or the client say something, you land up stopping and starting a lot. You land up with all these busted clips, and it is very easy to lose track of what clip number you are on. Corporate videos often have scores of short clips, particularly if you are shooting B-Roll. If you could just look in the viewfinder an see the clip number, it would be so much faster.

Currently, with my EX-1, I have to stop shooting, flick over to playback, select the clip, note the clip number and then go back to shooting. It would just be a good feature for Sony Cameras to have.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]