FORUMS: list search recent posts

In Europe but shooting at 720 30P 1/60 shutter - light flicker

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Daniel De Avila
In Europe but shooting at 720 30P 1/60 shutter - light flicker
on Apr 14, 2010 at 2:46:23 pm

Hello

Please forgive the basic question as Im sure its been asked before.

I have been asked to shoot In Europe at 720 30P. Pretty basic talking head stuff.

When I set up the EX1 to 720 30P with a 1/60 shutter any florescent lights start to flicker like mad. It happens with the shutter off too.

I’m assuming this is due to some 50htz florescent light thing but specifically what I don’t know…?

All is well after switching to a shutter speed of 50htz but of course I don’t think this is an option if I need to deliver footage at 30p.

My light kit seems to be fine (no visible flicker), so…is it a case of just turning off or working around florescent lights or I’m a missing something?

Sincerely
Daniel

Return to posts index

Daniel De Avila
Re: In Europe but shooting at 720 30P 1/60 shutter - light flicker
on Apr 14, 2010 at 3:11:25 pm

Hello again

Just reviewing a few pots from 2008 and it seems that shooting under certain types of florescent lights can be a problem.

Turning them off seems to be the best solution but I seem to get good results shoot with a ECS shutter setting, allowing me to dial out the flicker.

I take it that this is a good solution? Any thoughts?

Sincerely
Daniel

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on Apr 14, 2010 at 3:20:16 pm

Hi Daniel,
The EX have an anti-flicker to avoid this. have a look if its works for you.
There are some old threads about this issue that you can find with the Search.
rafael

http://www.nagavideo.com

Return to posts index

Daniel De Avila
on Apr 14, 2010 at 5:22:40 pm

Hello

yes I had a look at this but it didn't seem to make much a of difference while shooting with the ECS shutter did. Ill do a few more tests and some more research.

Many thanks

Daniel

Return to posts index

Cade Muhlig
on Apr 15, 2010 at 4:37:52 am

Increasing the shutter speed should fix the prob right quick.

Return to posts index

Barry O'Brien
on Apr 15, 2010 at 4:36:42 pm

The alternating current in Europe changes at 50 cycles per second. By setting your camera shutter speed to 1/50th of a second, the idea is that you will bring the camera and light source into sync.

Fluorescent lights, which work by discharging bursts of light, will create the most noticeable flicker. Tungsten filaments, on the other hand, also flicker,but the warming and cooling of the filament dampens the flicker somewhat.

Here are a number of actions that can help.
1.) Change your shutter speed to 1/5oth of a second. Also try 1/100, or 1/200. As the other poster suggested, sometimes this helps.
2.) If you need the fluorescent light as part of your lighting, try covering them with diffusion to moderate the flicker.
3.) If you can do without the Flos, turn them off.

Regardless, you are in a 50 cycle world, and you should set your shutter accordingly. Otherwise, the slowly changing relationship between your shutter opening and closing at 1/60th of a second and the lights brightening and dimming at 1/50th of a second will create this weird slow dimming and brightening within a scene.

Return to posts index

Daniel De Avila
on Apr 16, 2010 at 9:47:58 am

Hello

Understand. Thank you all for your help and suggestions.

Greatly appreciated

Sincerely
Daniel

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]