FORUMS: list search recent posts

16 x 9 SD output from EX-1 or EX-3?

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jim Watt
16 x 9 SD output from EX-1 or EX-3?
on Apr 12, 2010 at 5:39:52 pm

I see no option for a 16 x 9 output in Sd through the SDI or component out connections. Am I missing something?

thx...jw

Producer/DP, HD series, "Discoveries...America", "Discoveries...Ireland", "Discoveries...Spain",
"Discoveries...Argentina", Discoveries...India", "Discoveries...Asia", "Discoveries...Africa"

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
Re: 16 x 9 SD output from EX-1 or EX-3?
on Apr 12, 2010 at 6:02:21 pm

It's certainly there in the menus and I've used it myself.
I can't recall exactly where but it certainly is.

Return to posts index

Jay Gladwell
on Apr 12, 2010 at 11:29:11 pm

In EX3...
Go to Video Set in Menu.
Select YPbPr/SDI out Select.
Your choices should be:
HD
SD
Off

Return to posts index

Jim Watt
on Apr 12, 2010 at 11:35:32 pm

True, however there are three choices for the downconvert 1. squeeze, 2. letter box, 3. crop. Technically none of these are 16 x 9, but if you look at the output in the monitor the squeeze setting appears to be 16 x 9, but if you record the picture and look at the specs in FCP it tells me it's a 720 x 486 picture which is 4 x 3.

For my own work we never shoot SD, but we have a client who insists and want it in 16 x 9, so we're recording on a Nano Flash recorder. If i put the shot on a timeline FCP will automatically set the time line so the picture looks like 16 x 9, but I'd like to know why the item properties are stil lsaying it's a 4:3 shot.

Producer/DP, HD series, "Discoveries...America", "Discoveries...Ireland", "Discoveries...Spain",
"Discoveries...Argentina", Discoveries...India", "Discoveries...Asia", "Discoveries...Africa"

Return to posts index

Don Greening
on Apr 13, 2010 at 5:33:04 am

[Jim Watt] " but I'd like to know why the item properties are stil lsaying it's a 4:3 shot. "

Probably because all SD footage is 4:3 regardless if it's full screen or widescreen. If an SD camera shoots 16:9 (such as a Canon XL2) there will be a tag in the video stream that flags it as SD Anamorphic. In a FCP SD timeline the anamorphic footage will (in some cases) still default to a 4:3 frame that's squeezed. To change the frame size just put a check mark in the anamorphic box in the clip's properties in the Browser.

- Don

Return to posts index

Jim Watt
on Apr 13, 2010 at 1:19:07 pm

Thanks for the explanation. When we switched to HD & 16:9, I never gave much thought to SD 16:9 until ABC in their infinite wisdom decided to go to 16:9 SD rather than HD.

I could see the video was 16:9 on my timeline, now I notice the sequence settings are indeed set to anamophic.

Thanks...jw

Return to posts index

David Burch
on Apr 24, 2010 at 10:20:52 pm

Yep, as Don said the only difference between 16:9 anamorphic and 4:3 video is a flag that indicates that the footage should be displayed with an anamorphic pixel aspect ratio. Just set it to "squeeze" and flag it anamorphic in FCP (or whatever NLE you're using) if needed.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]