FORUMS: list search recent posts

Shooting a seminar

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Greg Ball
Shooting a seminar
on Apr 9, 2010 at 2:01:11 pm

To shoot a day long seminar with two EX3's must you use SXS cards? Or can SDHC cards be used instead?
I'd like to have my camera operators shoot 1080P30 if that matters. Any advice?

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
Re: Shooting a seminar
on Apr 9, 2010 at 2:37:24 pm

Either can be used depending on the camera's firmware and the known reliability of the SDHC cards in question.

If you can afford 4 32GB SxS cards for each camera than sure do that.
If you go the SDHC route use KNOWN and PERSONALLY TESTED SDHC cards. Buy extras as well.

Personally I'd put in 2 32GB SDHC cards at a time and run them straight through twice doing this for both cameras.

At this point I'd suggest that you only use Sandisk Extreme Class 10 or ATP ProMax Class 6 (and do the above test still).

Return to posts index

Clint Fleckenstein
on Apr 9, 2010 at 2:48:46 pm

How about shooting HDV mode for this? When I think "seminar" I usually run into poor lighting, bland backdrop, typically not the kind of thing that you need top quality for. Obviously you want to deliver the best product possible, but I'm thinking HDV would be capable of delivering just fine and with a lower bitrate.

I haven't had to do any seminars since we ditched our SD gear, but I've already tested our old Firestore with the EX cameras. It'll accept HDV via Firewire, so I plan to just do that so I don't have to worry about card capacity.

Cf

Return to posts index

Enrique Orozco
on Apr 9, 2010 at 2:58:49 pm

.... you can also try the eHDR from efilms ... hard disk solution (5 hours recording in EX quality, and I guess more in SD-HDV)... 200 bucks for the adapter plus the HDD and powering option....

my 2 cents

Enrique Orozco R.
http://www.dvideostudio.com >iDEA DigitalVideoStudio

Return to posts index

Greg Ball
on Apr 10, 2010 at 12:11:37 pm

Thanks very much guys. I'm actually the director with a freelance crew. They have their own cameras.

Return to posts index

Wayne McCardell
on Apr 17, 2010 at 5:31:53 am

Hi Greg,

I shoot for a government dept in Canberra Australia. We do a lot of seminars in addition to regular field work using three x EX3 kits and one x Z1 . When doing day-long seminars we shoot direct to a Sony PHU60K accessory hard disk unit. We use the SP 1080/50i setting giving us about 300 minutes of recording. This format is quite suitable in terms of reproduction given that many of the rooms we work in are not properly lit for high-end video outcomes. We attempt to light the subjects as best as possible, but once they start walking around - especially in front of a Power Point presentation on screen - then the whole shoot turns to crap. Good luck.

Regards,
Wayne Mc.

Return to posts index

Enrique Orozco
on Apr 17, 2010 at 9:47:07 pm

.. the eHDR is basically like the Sony HD unit but with more capacity (and cheaper...)...

... I always try to avoid the "famous" ppoint screen... or just let room on my filming frame to "superimpose" the original ppoint frames that I get from the expositors or the company that hires me...

good luck

Enrique Orozco R.
http://www.dvideostudio.com >iDEA DigitalVideoStudio

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]