FORUMS: list search recent posts

sony ex1 audio problem

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
pablo bryant
sony ex1 audio problem
on Apr 8, 2010 at 12:48:17 am

Hello
Not sure if my last question got posted, so I am reposting. I shot an interview with the ex1 with a lav mic for channel one and a shotgun mic for channel two, but when I transfer the media from the card, either using XDcam transfer software, or in fcp using log and transfer, the audio seems to be just from channel two, doubled on to both channels or maybe mixed together. How can I extract the audio and keep the channels seperate?
Thanks
Pablo

Return to posts index

Clint Fleckenstein
Re: sony ex1 audio problem
on Apr 8, 2010 at 1:15:40 pm

The audio tracks are recorded and interpreted as dual-mono. In Final Cut Pro, they'll be mixed in preview and your timeline. The quick & easy way to isolate your channels is to highlight the clip and hit option-L, which via menu is the "Stereo Pair" command. That will pan CH1 to the left and CH2 to the right. You could also do this manually in the preview window.

Cf

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Apr 8, 2010 at 2:23:59 pm

If it's simply a dual mono vs stereo issue, Clint is correct.

The original poster said channel 2 was being dubbed to channel 1 though. I can't thing on any way this can happen without user intervention (user error). XDCAM is dual mono by nature and design (hence Clint's suggestion). I keep looking at ClipBrowser and XDCAM Transfer and can't see a way one can even accidentally copy one channel to another.

People absolutely need to be very careful when describing problems otherwise the doctor might remove your gallbladder when all you need is an antacid.

Return to posts index

pablo bryant
on Apr 8, 2010 at 3:05:34 pm

Thank you. I will try using option L in FCP, buts its still strange to me that the quicktime I get from the xdcam transfer software does the same thing. But if I can fix it in FCP, that will work for now. In the future I would like to give my client a quicktime where they can hear each channel separately. Is that possible somehow?
Thanks for the info.

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Apr 8, 2010 at 4:03:21 pm

XDCAM (all variants I know of) default to mono tracks. That would mean one has to proactively pan them. It's not difficult as Clint points out. You can either Pan the sources in FCP Viewer or Pan them once in the timeline.

I generally don't give clients XDCAM EX mov files though. If they want camera masters they get the BPAV. It they want dubs, I make the dub and, of course, pan at that time as needed.

Return to posts index

Clint Fleckenstein
on Apr 8, 2010 at 5:22:56 pm

Well, one other way this can happen is if you have channel 1 turned off in XDCAM Transfer before importing, and have the box checked for "only import monitored channels" or whatever.

The only thing the camera can do is record channel 1 to both channels; it can't do the same with channel 2. Therefore it's either an importing/rewrapping issue or a footage-interpretation issue.

Cf

Return to posts index

pablo bryant
on Apr 9, 2010 at 8:41:21 pm

I've tried panning each channel off to either side and it doesn't seem to work. When I preview the material in xdcam transfer, I can hear each channel, but when it is transfered, they are either mixed together, or channel two is doubled, but panning them off in FCP doesn't work.
Could it be that when I recorded it, a setting in my audio menu linked them? It doesn't make sense, but I'm grasping at straws to figure this out. Is there a way to just transfer the audio files?
Thanks
Pablo

Return to posts index

Michael Slowe
on Apr 8, 2010 at 9:22:36 pm

Craig, on this subject is there any way in XDCAM Transfer that you can set the audio channels to 'centre pan' before importing? I'm importing into Media 100 and the only way I can center the pan is once the clip is on a timeline.

Michael Slowe

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Apr 8, 2010 at 9:37:32 pm

Actually the always come in center panned for me. That's the normal state for XDCAM AFAIK (each channel mono center panned). I guess Media 100 is forcing them to come in panned. I wish FCP had a control which allow me to set that state.

Return to posts index

Anthony Dias
on Jul 6, 2011 at 9:13:25 pm

Pablo,

I would like to know if you ever found a solution to your problem or if it was a one time issue?

I am having similar issues and I am trying to figure out if it's me, quicktime, xdcam transfer or something else.

Sorry to revive an old post.

To all the skeptics...

Please ignore this thread unless you have an actual solution.

• In XDCAM Transfer, I can clearly hear both channels (panned hard left and right)

• After conversion to MOV files (still xdcam codec)... everything is MONO with no difference between channel 1 and 2.

• Extracting the audio file into Logic and splitting the channels from interleaved gives me two identical waveforms.

• I tried panning the split audio files Hard Left/Hard Right in their own tracks. Then I threw a multimeter on the out 1-2 in Goniometer mode and the reading was straight down the middle.

---

I have successfully transferred countless hours of EX1 footage before without ever having this problem.

I will, but haven't yet tried importing directly in FCP with Log & Transfer.

I am using FCP 7.0.3 and XDCAM Transfer 2.12.0
Mac Pro 2X3 GHz Quad w/10GB RAM and a few terabytes of storage on 4 internal drives and one external G-Safe

Return to posts index

Barna Szasz
on Jun 18, 2013 at 10:14:25 am

Hey, have you sorted out a solution?

I've got the same problem with a footage made with Sony BMZ-F3.

Thanks!

Return to posts index

Riley Harlton
on Jan 13, 2017 at 6:03:49 pm

I know this is an old thread but I thought I would post this so it is at least out there. The Sony EX1 like may Sony camcorders has a feature where the audio that is plugged into channel 1 will also be sent to channel 2. Anything plugged into channel 2 is ignored. This is useful for recording a source on both channels and frequently one channel is set lower as a safety measure against overloading and clipping.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]