FORUMS: list search recent posts

Merging XDCAM subclips after import

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Teresa Brown
Merging XDCAM subclips after import
on Apr 7, 2010 at 9:45:46 pm

I had been importing footage from SxS cards into FCP through XDCAM Transfer direct from my EX3. This allowed me to combine subclips into an intact piece of footage upon import from the two SxS cards. I'm now using an SxS card reader for import and find this much more convenient than from the camera except that the reader only has access to one card per import session. I can't find means to merge these subclips which wrap from one card to the next as I'm importing footage as I could direct from camera.

I also have access to XDCAM EX Clip Browser, but am not familiar with that software. Any method to combine the HD clips with this set up without hooking up the camera.

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
Re: Merging XDCAM subclips after import
on Apr 7, 2010 at 10:03:30 pm

Not really a way that doesn't involve creating new media. Or drop both halves on a timeline and subclip them...

Noah

Check out my book: RED: The Ultimate Guide to Using the Revolutionary Camera!
Unlock the secrets of 24p, HD and Final Cut Studio with Call Box Training. Featuring the Sony EX1 Guidebook, Panasonic HVX200, Canon EOS 5D Mark II and Canon 7D.
Watch Formosa- My indie movie shot with the SDX900 and finished with Final Cut Studio.

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Apr 7, 2010 at 10:15:57 pm

Very bad workflow in my opinion.
First copy to hard drive with ClipBrowser with CRC on.
Then use XDCAM Transfer with clips on hard drive to wrap to .mov (and merge).
I've had shoots that involve recording for many hours continuously and a single shot going across four cards reminds a single shot.

Also back up the BPAV to an additional location (I prefer optical disc). They are your camera masters. If all you are doing is wrapping to .mov and tossing the BPAV you're walking into a major headache at some point in the future. Again bad workflow.

Return to posts index

Teresa Brown
on Apr 23, 2010 at 9:08:08 pm

Leads to question: I can't get the any of these unconverted files imported through Clip Browser to import into XDCAM Transfer for conversion to QuickTime. The source folder displays in left panel, but indicates "0 files." Haven't found anything about this in manuals thus far. Could someone explain the steps to make this work?

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Apr 23, 2010 at 9:21:56 pm

You've lost me with your workflow.

You point ClipBrowser to the SXS or SDHC card in the reader it's in and it shows up. If the files are already on the hard drive I'm not sure what you're using ClipBrowser for.

I posted what I thought were simple step by step instructions and without a detailed response I have no idea what you're doing.

If your SXS or SDHC card shows 0 files than you have another very serious problem.

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Apr 23, 2010 at 9:28:52 pm

In XDCAM Transfer, point to the parent folder not the BPAV folder. I suspect that's where things are going awry.

CipBrowser creates a date/time stamped parent folder otherwise they can be hand named. The BPAV must reside in "something." Even if one is sitting on the desktop you can point it to the hard drive itself and it'll see the files.

Do not EVER rename the BPAV folder otherwise XDCAM Transfer will not see the contents. It must always be parent folder containing BPAV (it MUST maintain that name).

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]