FORUMS: list search recent posts

Can Someone PLEASE Help Me Determine a workflow for this?

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Vince Tennant
Can Someone PLEASE Help Me Determine a workflow for this?
on Apr 7, 2010 at 8:26:29 pm

I'll be as brief as possible:

We shoot footage of a sporting event on 5 Sony EX cameras (mix of EX1 and EX3s). The original footage from each game is the complete event lasting approximately 3 hours.

When that is concluded, I review the 15 hours of footage and choose short 'highlight clips' of interesting action which should be archived. These highlights need to be distributed to a number of editors for a wide variety of purposes, and these editors work on a wide variety of platforms (Avid, FCP, Vegas, Premiere).

I have been able to use clip browser to create the clips from the raw camera masters, but I am unsure at this point what format to export them to in order to maintain full resolution and be compatible.

a) "MXF FOR NLE" seems like the best solution, it works with Vegas, Avid but not with FCP. I have read forum posts saying you can, with the XDCAM TRANSFER utility, import these MXF files into FCP and have them rewrappered to MOV-- this would be PERFECT, but none of my editors seem to be able to do this. I know Calibrated{Q} gives native support, but I'm fine with rewrappering, just hoping it would be free,

It seems the only workflow that FCP assumes you will use is importing directly from the BPAV camera masters-- and I'd rather not distribute 15 hours of footage for the 3 minutes of clips they actually need.

b) While I would rather not maintain parallel archives, I did read that the clip browser on OSX should be able to export a .MOV wrappered file, but I'm running the newest version on OSX and it doesn't offer that option. Am I missing something?

c) Is it possible to take only the smaller clips I've created in clip broswer and generate/export a NEW BPAV folder structure containing just the clips I defined (and not the longer full clips).

If you guys were dealing with this situation- what format would you distribute and how exactly do you get that into each system?

Thanks

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
Re: Can Someone PLEASE Help Me Determine a workflow for this?
on Apr 7, 2010 at 8:47:04 pm

In ClipBrowser you should be able to create a new folder and then copy just the clips you want to that new folder. Inside that new folder should be a new BPAV folder.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]