FORUMS: list search recent posts

Crappy Looking SD Footage from EX1

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
David Albright
Crappy Looking SD Footage from EX1
on Apr 7, 2010 at 1:12:12 am

So I went out and shot a whole dance performance in Standard Def on my Sony EX1 and the footage looks like crap. It has what I can best describe as red vertical interlace lines, whenever there is motion on the screen (the red part may just be from the lighting). Basically the footage is not sharp at all, and there are some weird things happening with the colors whenever there is motion.

Here's a cropped screen grab of what I'm talking about...

look at the weird lines above the middle girls arm and leg...

Since the XDCAM Transfer software apparently doesn't do SD footage, I just drag and dropped the avi files from the SxS cards onto my computer. Is there a different way of transfering the files that'd somehow give me better looking footage? Or does the Sony EX1 just shoot crappy looking SD video?

Thanks in advance for your help. Last time I'm shooting SD on that camera... turned out I didn't even need the extra recording time which is the only reason I shot SD in the first place!

David

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
Re: Crappy Looking SD Footage from EX1
on Apr 7, 2010 at 5:00:42 am

Wait I didn't think that camera shot SD at all...

Noah

Check out my book: RED: The Ultimate Guide to Using the Revolutionary Camera!
Unlock the secrets of 24p, HD and Final Cut Studio with Call Box Training. Featuring the Sony EX1 Guidebook, Panasonic HVX200, Canon EOS 5D Mark II and Canon 7D.
Watch Formosa- My indie movie shot with the SDX900 and finished with Final Cut Studio.

Return to posts index

jim stamos
on Apr 7, 2010 at 5:12:30 am

the r shoots in dvcam mode

Return to posts index

Michael Slowe
on Apr 7, 2010 at 11:27:47 am

If you need to save card space shoot in HDV mode on the EX 1. Upscaled afterwards you get very good images, I've shot a couple of projects that way.

Michael Slowe

Return to posts index

Chris Babbitt
on Apr 7, 2010 at 3:15:58 pm

Red stage lighting can play havoc with any camera. A fairer test would be to shoot some SD footage under more ideal lighting conditions.

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on Apr 7, 2010 at 10:18:21 pm

Yeah exposure looks off in that shot too. Or maybe too much detail or contrast dialed up.

Noah

Check out my book: RED: The Ultimate Guide to Using the Revolutionary Camera!
Unlock the secrets of 24p, HD and Final Cut Studio with Call Box Training. Featuring the Sony EX1 Guidebook, Panasonic HVX200, Canon EOS 5D Mark II and Canon 7D.
Watch Formosa- My indie movie shot with the SDX900 and finished with Final Cut Studio.

Return to posts index

David Burch
on Apr 15, 2010 at 11:07:20 pm

To me the biggest problem seems to be the white balance is off and the exposure is too high. Also, the lenses on the EX-1 are not the best, and subject to chromatic aberration when zoomed in on a high-contrast subject, which may account for some of the color bleed. Are you using auto exposure? If so I would highly recommend using manual. Set your zebras to 80% video and use those as a guide for skin tones, making sure they only show up on highlights and not all over the skin. Finally, red is a horrible video color, especially for codecs like DVCAM. It causes bleed and blockiness, which is especially apparent in standard definition.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]