FORUMS: list search recent posts

EX to FCP & AVID

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Rob Alexander
EX to FCP & AVID
on Apr 6, 2010 at 6:24:15 pm

Hi,

I've searched around but can't see anything that answers this problem.

I'm soon to embark on a trip which will be shooting XDCAM EX and editing shorts on FCP in the field. The rushes are also going to be sent back and a longer form edit is going to be done, this time on AVID. The question is whether there's a way to export the sequences (and maybe bin/clip info) from FCP so that they're useful in the AVID edit as a starting point?

With tape I'd spit out an EDL but obviously in file based workflow there's no reel number for the systems to latch on to.

Can anybody advise the best way to go about this? Do I need to use MXF4MAC (or similar) so that I'm working with exactly the same media files? Or is there some metadata that will sync the two systems up?

Thanks,
Rob

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
Re: EX to FCP & AVID
on Apr 6, 2010 at 6:42:40 pm

I'd only do this if you can invest in Automatic Duck as well as a native MXF importer such as the Calibrated MXF plugin for FCP. Otherwise you're going to be spending a lot of your life in EDL/XML/MXF hell and that would be a workflow out of the scope of a simple message board response. Because the FCP and Avid Project formats are not compatible and also the way they handle XDCAM EX footage is totally different. FCP does a rewrap to QuickTime .MOV while Avid imports native MXF. So edits between the two applications out of the box are highly incompatible.

http://www.automaticduck.com/products/pefcp/

http://www.calibratedsoftware.com/MXFImport_Mac.asp

Noah

Check out my book: RED: The Ultimate Guide to Using the Revolutionary Camera!
Unlock the secrets of 24p, HD and Final Cut Studio with Call Box Training. Featuring the Sony EX1 Guidebook, Panasonic HVX200, Canon EOS 5D Mark II and Canon 7D.
Watch Formosa- My indie movie shot with the SDX900 and finished with Final Cut Studio.

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Apr 6, 2010 at 7:06:31 pm

and given the hell and the old adage that time is money, it's best to stick to one NLE in this kind of situation. Someone's got to get an FCP or Avid system. The cost will be less than the suffering of the other method is worth. Some people try to cut costs and they end up getting the throat instead.

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on Apr 6, 2010 at 9:19:57 pm

Some people... more like most people in this biz LOL.

Noah

Check out my book: RED: The Ultimate Guide to Using the Revolutionary Camera!
Unlock the secrets of 24p, HD and Final Cut Studio with Call Box Training. Featuring the Sony EX1 Guidebook, Panasonic HVX200, Canon EOS 5D Mark II and Canon 7D.
Watch Formosa- My indie movie shot with the SDX900 and finished with Final Cut Studio.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]