FORUMS: list search recent posts

Is it better to edit XDCAM EX natively?

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Teri Murphy
Is it better to edit XDCAM EX natively?
on Apr 6, 2010 at 3:12:47 pm

Our facility is considering moving to XDCAM EX, but we do have some concerns about editing long GOP MPEG.

Is it better to edit XDCAM EX natively or would it be better to transcode it to another format?

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
Re: Is it better to edit XDCAM EX natively?
on Apr 6, 2010 at 3:33:06 pm

I edit XDCAM EX in mov wrapper without issue. I set renders to ProRes in Final Cut Pro and there's no GOP conform during editing. I think ProRes might help if you're doing very heavy compositing though. In the other direction you could get the CalibratedSoftware EX MP4 plugin and you don't even have to re-wrap to MOV. That's great if you're in a very short turnaround situation (ENG style).

Return to posts index

Teri Murphy
on Apr 6, 2010 at 3:40:48 pm

If a project does not require heavy compositing, do you see any downside to editing XDCAM EX natively?

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Apr 6, 2010 at 3:45:29 pm

It might be a bit sluggish on a laptop (only 2 cores).

I haven't experienced any issues.

The final render would take a bit longer than working in an I frame codec but I still find that faster and more efficient than converting all the source to ProRes.

Converting to source to ProRes might be useful if you're mixing codecs though. Then ProRes can be your "universal" rather than battling DVCProHD and HDV along with EX in one timeline.

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on Apr 6, 2010 at 5:05:07 pm

I see no issues with FCP /QT Wrapped XDCAM EX in terms of editing and quality. The one possible workflow hangup is if you need to exchange edits and a lot of footage with a system that is not FCP. Then native MXF editing can be more advantageous. But I consider this an unusual scenario. For most editing workflows you have no issues.

Noah

Check out my book: RED: The Ultimate Guide to Using the Revolutionary Camera!
Unlock the secrets of 24p, HD and Final Cut Studio with Call Box Training. Featuring the Sony EX1 Guidebook, Panasonic HVX200, Canon EOS 5D Mark II and Canon 7D.
Watch Formosa- My indie movie shot with the SDX900 and finished with Final Cut Studio.

Return to posts index

Tim Kolb
on Apr 6, 2010 at 5:42:01 pm

I assume from your response that you edit on FCP.

Adobe handles XDcam EX natively (no rewrap required, the same with P2) very well. I do use an intermediate codec for some projects (I've been a CineForm user since HDV showed up), but I've done projects with EXcam footage (35 Mbit) as my edit source with no issues. I typically master out to CineForm or uncompressed...or I archive the project and simply output through the media encoder when we need some other output file.

It's still 8 bit, 4:2:0, and aggressively compressed, so as mentioned, if you do effects work (or even aggressive color correction), a better intermediate codec would serve you well.

(...however, if you are in a facility where you do a full project archive, 35 Mbit/s EXcam footage is a bit lighter weight to store and move than 220 Mbit/s ProRes...)

TimK,
Director, Consultant
Kolb Productions,

Return to posts index

enrique orozco
on Apr 6, 2010 at 6:33:43 pm

... Vegas 9pro also supports native mp4 files from BPAV folders... no need to transcode to anything... even "splited" clips (coming from two cards) match precisely in the timeline ... and you can keep just the original BPAV folders with their corresponding "veg" project file with minimum space on HDD or disk.....

my 2 cents....

Enrique Orozco R.
http://www.dvideostudio.com >iDEA DigitalVideoStudio

Return to posts index

Ronnie Martin
on Apr 6, 2010 at 7:12:16 pm

Edius/Grass Valley handles EXcam clips natively. All you have to do is open up the Sony software browser and highlight the clips you want and drag them to the bin. Highlight the clips in the bin and with one more click they all appear on the timeline.

Ronnie Martin

Ronnie Martin
Kato Video Productions
http://www.dirtracingvideo.com

Return to posts index

Ron Pestes
on Apr 6, 2010 at 7:33:33 pm

I have an EX-3 and edit native files exclusively. It works great. I think if you change to Prores it will take forever to render to that codec and it could be a LLLLOOOOONNNNNGGGGG time before you got down to editing if you had a large project.

Again, I edit in FCP using the EX easy setup and it works great. I then send to compressor to get it ready for DVD or web upload. I will sometimes export with Quicktime to make a Prores file if needed.

Apple Certified Master Pro FCS 2
Sony EX-3
MacBook Pro

Return to posts index

Teri Murphy
on Apr 6, 2010 at 7:44:44 pm

We plan to use Avid Media Composer on a PC.

Does anyone have experience using Avid with native XDCAM EX files on a PC?

Return to posts index

Martin Phillips
on Apr 6, 2010 at 7:50:38 pm

Yes, same as Ron, I've found no problem editing XDCAM EX natively in FCP (with the re-wrapping of course) - tried the ProRes Rendering route but all seemed slower and making self contained movies took forever. In the XDCAM EX Easy setup it all works quickly and cleanly. I've made a new custom Easy Setup so that I can input / output via the Kona LHi. All works well, even with layered graphics etc.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]