FORUMS: list search recent posts

Importing via xdcam transfer

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
GInny Stein
Importing via xdcam transfer
on Apr 5, 2010 at 3:48:47 pm

Hi

I am getting an insufficient disc space message when I attempt to import sxs files via xdcam transfer. I know I have room...500 gigs free on a 2tb hard drive.
It happens where the file is an incomplete file, recorded across two card. An smi file rather than an mp4 file.
I can import all other clips except for the file listed as part 1, which is an interview recorded across two cards.
How do I import the incomplete file?
Thanks, Ginny

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
Re: Importing via xdcam transfer
on Apr 5, 2010 at 4:06:38 pm

Use ClipBrowser with CRC enabled and copy the files to the directory of choice.
Backup the camera masters to something else such as optical disc.
Then import the clips using XDCAM Transfer from the hard drive. This will give access to all the files including split/spanned clips

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Apr 5, 2010 at 4:11:33 pm

[GInny Stein] "I know I have room...500 gigs free on a 2tb hard drive. "

But do you have XDCAM Transfer Preferences pointing to the a directory on the hard drive?

[GInny Stein] "It happens where the file is an incomplete file, recorded across two card. An smi file rather than an mp4 file."

How have you verified that the error message happens only when there's an incomplete file?
SMI would be the thing that plays all parts of split/spanned file.
You could mark in/out of the source file to import it as an independent subclip but to me that's an accident waiting to happen.

See my other post for instruction on how to avoid that.
If you import from XDCAM Transfer from cards to MOV and delete the cards you've lost your camera masters forever. BIG MISTAKE!

Return to posts index

GInny Stein
on Apr 5, 2010 at 4:40:21 pm

Hi Craig
Thanks for helping out.

But do you have XDCAM Transfer Preferences pointing to the a directory on the hard drive?

G:Yes.

[GInny Stein] "It happens where the file is an incomplete file, recorded across two card. An smi file rather than an mp4 file."

How have you verified that the error message happens only when there's an incomplete file?

G:I've tried importing all but the smi file and it works...but it wont bring in the split file.

You could mark in/out of the source file to import it as an independent subclip but to me that's an accident waiting to happen.

See my other post for instruction on how to avoid that.
If you import from XDCAM Transfer from cards to MOV and delete the cards you've lost your camera masters forever. BIG MISTAKE!

G: I am importing from a separate hard drive on which I copied all my sxs files from the cards, and which I keep as my archive.

G: A further question...would importing visa log and transfer be the more sensible option?

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Apr 5, 2010 at 4:54:15 pm

[GInny Stein] "
G:I've tried importing all but the smi file and it works...but it wont bring in the split file.

You could mark in/out of the source file to import it as an independent subclip but to me that's an accident waiting to happen. "

But have you tried using the Subclip section of the XDCAM Transfer interface? It allows you to check specific sections.

[GInny Stein] "G:I've tried importing all but the smi file and it works...but it wont bring in the split file. "
You have to add all folders which is easy if it's on hard as the video I point to shows. It's not clear at all that you've tried that. That's why I asked.

[GInny Stein] "G: A further question...would importing visa log and transfer be the more sensible option?"
Both are sensible. Just different depending on your needs and preferred workflow. The features are different so it's really a preference.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]