White balance changing mid-shot

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Robert Newton
White balance changing mid-shot
on Mar 29, 2010 at 3:46:54 pm

Hi,

Definite noob question.

I'm a new EX1 owner, and I'm trying to get my head around all the great features. I've read the manual, and it's got some great info however...

... I just can't figure out exactly how to "lock" the white balance. It seems that even after I white balance, the camera still wants to constantly auto-white balance when I pan into an area with, say, florescent lighting from incandescent. What is the technique for "locking" the wb?

Robert N.

Return to posts index

Chris Babbitt
Re: White balance changing mid-shot
on Mar 29, 2010 at 4:17:22 pm

Noob Answer.

Are you sure ATW is not turned on? There is an indication in the viewfinder.

Return to posts index

Robert Newton
on Mar 29, 2010 at 5:13:45 pm

Thx for the quick reply.

Aah, yes ATW was indeed on. I thought that if you actually white balanced with a preset it overrode the ATW.

That was most likely my problem.

Really love this camera, but still figuring out the auto vs manual settings.

Robert

Return to posts index

Raymond O'Bryan
on Mar 29, 2010 at 10:23:05 pm

there are a couple of training video's I bought when I purchased my EX1. one very good one is vortex media even has a great field manual you can get & I also like the call box video on the EX1.

I have a long way to go. but I re watch them every coupe of weeks ad still get a lot out of them. I just can't learn it all in a couple of settings.

Return to posts index

Robert Newton
on Mar 30, 2010 at 12:49:17 am

Thanks for those tips Ray, I will check those out. Just the kind of supplement to the manual I was looking for.

Return to posts index

Don Greening
on Mar 30, 2010 at 7:18:51 am

Robert,

If you create a custom picture profile you can use a preset white balance that's part of the profile. I have my w/b in PP1 set to daylight 5600K. With PP1 active in the viewfinder you can activate that particular w/b setting by moving the white balance switch to "PRST". White balance position "A" is where you set your w/b manually using a white board. Once you've done that you can switch between the two positions while you're recording. position "B" is the auto tracing w/b mode which I don't use for the obvious reason you've described.

With the way I've set up my w/b, and if I have to go from indoors to outdoors, for example, I'll manually white balance inside using something white and then when I'm on my way out the door I'll switch from position "A" to "PRST". Hope this helps.

- Don

Return to posts index

Michael Slowe
on Mar 30, 2010 at 11:08:23 am

I do the same but in addition to just one PP set at 5600 Kelvin I prepare two or three other PP's set at various K's from 2900 to 4000 which can easily be accessed on the screen and which do for almost any indoor lighting. Having a manual setting on 'A' is good though if you have already seen the lights you are encountering.

Michael Slowe

Return to posts index

Robert Newton
on Mar 30, 2010 at 12:47:55 pm

Don & Mike,

Thanks for those tips! Very useful as I figure out my workflow on this camera.

Robert

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]