FORUMS: list search recent posts

What should I expect of a Prosumer Camera

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Dave Edwards
What should I expect of a Prosumer Camera
on Mar 28, 2010 at 4:03:33 pm

I'm posting here because the Sony HXR-NX5U doesn't yet have its own area.. in any case my query is generic. I've just moved up to this camera from a domestic AVCHD Panasonic and although there are very many aspects of it which I find wonderful I have to say I'm a little disappointed by the image sharpness.

It seems to me that there isn't a huge difference between the two cameras from this point of view. I'm setting aside aspects such as the zoom lens, low light performance, noise, audio, manual control: I just thought that the basic image in ordinary sunlight would have been sharper. Is this naive? What should I expect?

Return to posts index

Michael Slowe
Re: What should I expect of a Prosumer Camera
on Mar 28, 2010 at 9:11:00 pm

Your post is puzzling. This forum relates solely to the Sony XDCAM EX cameras (EX1, EX1R & EX3) and often include the larger XDCAM cameras recording to disk.

Sharpness is an extremely subjective matter and without tests on a chart is difficult to rate. What sort of apertures were you shooting at since these lenses give their best performance when fairly wide open, certainly at F. 5.6 or less if possible. Many cameras have a built in facility such as neutral density filters which can reduce the light coming in thereby ensuring wider apertures. Most cameras in this modern age give extremely sharp pictures when used correctly and I'm sure the one to which you refer is no exception. What are you viewing the footage on? Images vary greatly from one piece of kit to another.

Michael Slowe

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on Mar 29, 2010 at 3:42:49 am

Yeah I mean be realistic with expectations. There's a reason why folks spend $100K+ for F950s, REDs, etc. You get what you pay for. Also it depends what you need the image for. If it's SD DVDs- most prosumer HD cameras give you more than enough quality. If it's broadcast HD or 35mm film output that's when things get a bit dicey.

Noah

Check out my book: RED: The Ultimate Guide to Using the Revolutionary Camera!
Unlock the secrets of 24p, HD and Final Cut Studio with Call Box Training. Featuring the Sony EX1 Guidebook, Panasonic HVX200, Canon EOS 5D Mark II and Canon 7D.
Watch Formosa- My indie movie shot with the SDX900 and finished with Final Cut Studio.

Return to posts index

Dave Edwards
on Mar 29, 2010 at 3:39:57 pm

Thank you both for your comments. I did apologise for the choice of forum in the initial post but pointed out that the query is generic and aimed at more expert users than myself. I'm commenting as the result of a wide range of tests which included all three levels of ND filter in sunlight as well as other trials in artificial lighting. There has been comment elsewhere about a possible back focus issue with this camera: I have been trying to determine whether the sharpness I perceive as no better than my domestic Panasonic is a fault or unreasonable expectation. I'm aware that you pay a lot for high resolution,- the Sony cost five times more than the Panasonic hence the expectation of greater sharpness.

Return to posts index

Michael Slowe
on Mar 30, 2010 at 11:12:34 am

Sorry Dave, should have read your first post more carefully. The back focus issue may be relevant here, worth a check.

Michael Slowe

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]