FORUMS: list search recent posts

EX3 "restore media" problem

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
mike gorga
EX3 "restore media" problem
on Mar 26, 2010 at 9:38:58 pm

We shot a full 14 gigs of footage on our EX3 with M&R adapters and an SD card today. Reviewed shots in the field no problem. We bring the rig home and with it turned off eject the card adapters and remove the SD cards to ingest into the FCP system via XDCAM Transfer. Done this a hundred times. Well the SD card will not read in our system. Nothing. I tried Disk Utility and it shows up there but will not mount.

So we put the card back in the adapter and back into the camera thinking we can go USB from the camera. Now the SD card is giving us a "restore media" prompt but WITHOUT and EXECUTE option.

So we cannot read this card....and all the critical footage recorded on it on the Mac, in the EX3 or on a PC that we have.

Any solution here? These shots are not re-shootable. The stuff was fine at the end of the shoot day. All we did was come back to the studio and immediately attempt to ingest and backup.

HELP!

Mike Gorga, Producer/Director
MEGCOMM Film & Video Prod.

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
Re: EX3 "restore media" problem
on Mar 26, 2010 at 10:00:19 pm

You didn't do a do it yourself firmware upgrade on the EX3 recently did you?

If you pop the card out and back in on the EX3 does it give the ability to restore on the second insertion?

How are you trying to read the card in the computer?
MxR attached to what?
SDHC attached to what?

I've heard "flakey" contacts can result in something like this.

I'd try the SDHC in a standard USB reader and see what happens.

Return to posts index

Marek Bilski
on Mar 26, 2010 at 10:10:17 pm

Can you please provide more information as to which generation MxR and what brand of SDHC memory cards and what capacity?
I presume it is 16GB need clarification and what firmware version on your EX3? As Craig suggested, a firmware upgrade might solve the problem with certain memory cards.

MxM Express

Return to posts index

mike gorga
on Mar 26, 2010 at 10:57:26 pm

Can you please provide more information as to which generation MxR and what brand of SDHC memory cards and what capacity? I presume it is 16GB need clarification and what firmware version on your EX3? As Craig suggested, a firmware upgrade might solve the problem with certain memory cards

The 16GB are Sandisk ULTRAII and the MxRExpressCard Reader is under a year old. Not sure of the "generation" but we bought them out of Australia.

Return to posts index

mike gorga
on Mar 26, 2010 at 10:53:56 pm

You didn't do a do it yourself firmware upgrade on the EX3 recently did you?

No. The camera was purchased back in June of last year. No firmwear upgrades since then.

If you pop the card out and back in on the EX3 does it give the ability to restore on the second insertion?

No. Just shows me Media Error: Media A needs to be restored. No function to click to restore is offered as in when this occasionally pops up in other cases.

How are you trying to read the card in the computer?

We use a simple card reader or the camera via USB. It shows up in Disk Tools but will not mount.

MxR attached to what?

Sandisk 16 gig SDHC card.

SDHC attached to what?

We simply plug it into a standard USB reader and plug that into the USB on the computer. We've now tried it on 3 computers including a PC and it simply will not mount.

I've heard "flakey" contacts can result in something like this.

What action would one take in that case?

I'd try the SDHC in a standard USB reader and see what happens.

Yes we did that. It won't mount in the camera or on computers via the camera or standard USB reader. You know, the $16 variety.

Anxiety is very high now. Very worried.

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Mar 26, 2010 at 11:35:42 pm

[mike gorga] "We shot a full 14 gigs of footage on our EX3 with M&R adapters and an SD card today. Reviewed shots in the field no problem. We bring the rig home and with it turned off eject the card adapters and remove the SD cards "
This would be the media recorded fine initially.

The fact that the camera isn't giving you access to Restore and the SDHC in a standard SD reader doesn't mount implies some sort of physical damage to the card (contacts maybe?).

Media can become corrupted but that wouldn't generally be an unmountable card though.

Can you look at the contacts of the SDHC card VERY CAREFULLY to see if they might be bent or maybe even discolored.

Return to posts index

mike gorga
on Mar 26, 2010 at 11:47:18 pm

Contacts look pretty clean. With a magnifying glass you can see some very minor scratching on the contacts but it looks like typical wear from inserting in and out of readers.

We're starting to panic here.

Does anyone have a method and application recommendation for mounting and another application for saving these files in some way?

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Mar 27, 2010 at 12:12:09 am

There's a file rescue company that has experience with EX but obviously that's going to cost a bit.
I still can't help but think the card has suffered some physical damage (maybe internal?) given the sequence of events you describe.

You were originally able to play the clips in cameras.
The camera now can't access the metadata to restore.
The card itself doesn't mount on anything and I don't think simply corrupted clips would cause that.
You tried the SDHC cards independent of the camera and the MxR so even if they were somehow part of the cause, whatever happened impacted the SDHC itself.

Just to confirm, the card does not mount on any of three system whether using SD reader or built in reader (assuming the computers have them as some do)? I just want to be clear that the card itself is not mounting and it's not simply that you can see but can't copy the clips.

Keep this name handy just in case
BenoƮt Joossen
http://aeroquartet.com/
His blog
http://www.aeroquartet.com/wordpress/2009/11/30/recover-videos-in-damaged-d...
Note he deals with damaged cards and he mentions updated version which may have since happened.

Return to posts index

mike gorga
on Mar 27, 2010 at 12:32:20 am

The card will not mount on any computer in the building via a standard $11 card reader.

The card, inside an M+R Expresscard adapter will not mount in the EX3 in either of two adapters we own or in either slot A or slot B.

We do not have a built-in SD card reader in any computer.

We do not have a laptop or other device that reads SxS that might accept a M+R Expresscard adapter.

I am able to see the card on the computers via Disk Utilities but the card will not mount...I get the spinning beachball and then the media error.

In the camera I get the MEDIA ERROR: Restore Media prompt.

Thanks for the input guys. Keep thinking. ;-)

Return to posts index

mike gorga
on Mar 27, 2010 at 12:39:16 am

There's a file rescue company that has experience with EX

Who are they? Do you have a contact? The EX factor would be very important I would imagine.

I don't want to give up yet because telling the producer tomorrow will be a huge stress, but if it becomes inevitable then I will need to pay what it takes.

Thanks

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Mar 27, 2010 at 12:42:44 am

See the rest of the post I think you just responded to. I mention his name and company at the bottom. He's a COW member although he doesn't post here often.

Return to posts index

Will Salley
on Mar 27, 2010 at 2:52:35 am

I've had this happen with generic card readers, but it wouldn't explain why the adapter shows an error in the camera. I have always been able to view the data with the Hoodman SDHC card reader (it comes free with the purchase of their cards). It might be worth a try.

Mac Pro 2x2.8 Quadcore - 10.6.2 - QT 7.6.3 - 22 GB RAM - nvidia8800GT - SATA internal & external storage - Blackmagic Multibridge Pro - Open GL 1.5.10 - Wacom Intous2 tablet - AJA io
SONY XDCAM EX3 - Letus Elite

Return to posts index

Chris Babbitt
on Mar 27, 2010 at 12:21:35 am

Just grabbing at straws here, but see if you can find someone with a MacBook Pro that has an Express Card slot, and see if that makes a difference.

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Mar 27, 2010 at 12:29:21 am

Or on the other end of the same spectrum a new 13" or 15" MacBookPro which now have built in SD readers. The gamble is that the different OS, etc might mount the card.

Return to posts index

Marek Bilski
on Mar 27, 2010 at 4:26:22 am

Hi Mike, sorry to give you bad news, but reading through the posts, damaged may have occurred to the controller on the SanDisk memory card. Unfortunately they do get damaged as the controller in the memory card is embedded in the memory chipset. I know you don't want to hear why, but, the majority of the time they get damaged by some of these reasons: -
* ejecting the memory card out of the adapter while still on the camera;
* power failure; and
* incorrect ejection from laptop or PC. A lot of clients which I've dealt with tend to just put the memory cards in the reader and just pull it out once they are done...
* Using the memory card on other devices; and then trying to use it again on the camera...and so on.
Unfortunately, to access the data the memory has to be physically stripped and try to be salvaged that way, which is quite costly.
We have clients who are using our first generation MxMs with SanDisk Ultra II with no issues what so ever to this day, but also, have come across a select few with SanDisk issues as you have described above for the above reasons I've listed.

MxM Express

Return to posts index

Matthew Romanis
on Mar 27, 2010 at 10:27:32 pm

You didn't by chance rename the card when you went to transfer the data?
Matthew.

Return to posts index

mike gorga
on Mar 27, 2010 at 11:11:50 pm

You didn't by chance rename the card when you went to transfer the data?
Matthew.

Nope. Looks like I might simply be screwed. Seems to me the workflow speed and "coolness" of using these cards isn't worth the risk. ONE disaster like this is too many. Between the cost of preparation by the producer's client and our time we're looking at probably 5k in losses.

Return to posts index

Chris Babbitt
on Mar 28, 2010 at 12:18:55 am

Mike,

This is a stab in the dark, so forgive me if I'm wasting your time, but you might want to check out a program called FileSalvage. I've used it's little brother, iPod Salvage to recover audio files from a CF card where the directory on the disk became corrupted. The fact that your Disk Utility still recognizes the card leads be to believe that this might be worth a shot. It's only $90 and there is a downloadable trial available. Here is the link:

http://www.subrosasoft.com/OSXSoftware/index.php?main_page=product_info&pro...

Return to posts index

mike gorga
on Mar 28, 2010 at 12:34:16 am

Just downloaded the trial and ran it. "Number of files found: 0"

Return to posts index

Bob Cole
on Apr 30, 2010 at 10:03:07 pm

I just found this thread. I'm depressed just seeing it; Mike, I hope that you've solved the problem, but it doesn't look that way from the last post. Are you still among the living?

Everyone (esp. Marek): I've only done a couple of tapeless shoots, and this post scares me.

Marek outlines a series of events which could destroy the data on a card (which could be literally priceless). Mistakes happen, especially in field production, but this takes me back to film, and a tired AC opening the wrong door on the magazine. Wow. That's why we used to put tape all over the magazine - just to slow ourselves down, in part.

I can see myself committing any of the offenses that Marek listed. So I have to ask: Would different cards make this sort of calamity less likely or its consequences less severe?

Are you folks using two means of recording as fail-safe? Am I reading way too much into Mike's plight? What's the deal here?

Tapeless, shmapeless.

Bob C

Return to posts index

mike gorga
on Mar 27, 2010 at 11:06:39 pm

Just grabbing at straws here, but see if you can find someone with a MacBook Pro that has an Express Card slot, and see if that makes a difference.

Tried that today. No go. We've now tried to mount the card on 4 Macs, including a new MacBook Pro, and 3 PCs all to no avail.

It looks like this simply isn't going to happen via traditional methods.

Is there a service that opens these suckers up somehow and can get at my files that way? I realize its going to cost me some money...but who and how and how much?

Return to posts index

Jim McNally
on Mar 28, 2010 at 4:22:09 am

Another shot in the dark but will Disk Utility allow you to do the fix outlined in this post?

http://www.aeroquartet.com/wordpress/2009/06/17/your-best-ally-for-corrupt-...

Jim McNally
The Commercial Factory
http://www.commercialfactory.com

Return to posts index

Luben Izov
on Apr 18, 2010 at 7:02:30 pm

Hello Mike,
You would need the Driver for MBP to be able to read SxS cards from Sony. You could get it from here
http://www.sony.ca/promedia/drivers.htm

Hope that helps
Best
Luben

Return to posts index

Chris Schoenmaker
on Feb 2, 2011 at 1:41:23 am

Hi there, I know this topic was posted a while ago but I had the exact same problem and found a solution. Forgive me if this has already been suggested in the thread (I didn't have time to read everything).

All I did was this. I put the card into my mac and went to transfer. I wasn't able to view or transfer the clips (as was the case with yourself). Normally you would eject the card via finder before removing the card from the mac but I tried just pulling it out without properly ejecting it. I obviously got the message "the device was removed incorrectly etc." Then when I put the card back into the EX3 it gave me the option to "restore media" (an option it wasn't giving me before incorrectly pulling it out of my mac). The media was restored and I was able to transfer it from the card like normal.

Hope this helps anyone who encounters this problem.

Return to posts index

mike gorga
on Feb 2, 2011 at 4:39:40 am

It turned out we were using SD cards that were initially recommended for the EX with the adapter but people experienced issues and they became non-recommended.

Return to posts index

Bob Cole
on Feb 2, 2011 at 12:46:30 pm

Did you ever recover the media?

Return to posts index

mike gorga
on Feb 2, 2011 at 1:51:43 pm

Fortunately the client had a similar event and we were able to grab the shots we actually needed during that event. We were unable to recover anything from that card.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]