FORUMS: list search recent posts

bad SxS-1 32Gig card

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
mike coogan
bad SxS-1 32Gig card
on Mar 26, 2010 at 11:42:38 am

Hello everyone, need urgent advice.

A camera operator was shooting with a EX1R on a NEW SXS-1 SBS-32G1 card. He shot around 40 minutes. A couple days later went to download the material and not one clip showed on the card!

When I put the card in clip browser (MAC) it shows 5.3 gigs used and around 25gigs available. No clips showed either in VTR mode in the camera.

Dealing with Sony distributors here in Asia and they say they don't know, sounds like the card is corrupted and there's nothing else they can help me with.

Any advice to try to retrieve these files??? It's very important footage and can't be reshot and help is appreciated.

Anyone have any success at this?

Mike

Return to posts index

Don Greening
Re: bad SxS-1 32Gig card
on Mar 26, 2010 at 6:09:27 pm

Hi Mike,

What's the firmware version of your EX1R? These new economy SxS cards need the latest firmware to work properly. What I'm getting at is that there may not be anything wrong with the card and the media may very well be okay but the camera can't read it. Have you got access to a Macbook Pro with Clip Browser installed and an Express 34 slot?

If your card does indeed have problems you could try this:

http://aeroquartet.com/movierepair/download.html

- Don

Return to posts index

mike coogan
on Mar 27, 2010 at 3:26:51 am

Don,

Thanks for your response. Firmware version is 1.0, I know that there is a 1.1 out there, but Sony in Asia told me that shouldn't matter with this card. The card had been working and clips were being recorded, except the couple times where it said Media needs to be Restored, but after doing this all clips were fine and that stopped happening.

I talked with Sony USA and they redirected me to their media retrieval center, however, I get the impression they service only things bought from that facility.

If I try this program, would it effect anything Sony can do to retrieve it?

Thanks,
Mike

Return to posts index

Don Greening
on Mar 27, 2010 at 4:33:06 am

Hi Mike,

My recommendation is to not work directly from the card when you're attempting to retrieve the media but use a copy instead:

• with the card in the camera connected via USB does it show up on the desk top as an attached device?
  • if so is there a BPAV folder inside the card folder?
  • If there is then copy the BPAV folder to your hard drive (drag and drop).

Use the retrieval program on the copy. In fact just open Clip Browser and navigate to the copy. See if that works where the card media didn't. If not then try the retrieval program on the copy. I've never needed to use a retrieval program but others have said this one is good.

- Don

Return to posts index

mike coogan
on Mar 27, 2010 at 6:03:56 pm

Don,

I did copy the BPAV folder over, in it is only the shot I took as a test. It's still not accessing the other 5 gigs that have been presumably used up on the card.

The Plot thickens with this situation. I gave the user another 16gig card to use. One that's often been used without any problems. I went to look at the footage he shot with this card. There were some 35 clips shot, but in the middle of the batch around 10 shots had vanished! Under each missing thumbnail it said 'Unknown Format"

This makes me think it's a camera issue if it's happening on 2 different cards now. Returning the camera to Sony on Monday to see what they say.

Now just have to try retrieving anything on this card.

Return to posts index

Don Greening
on Mar 28, 2010 at 6:12:51 am

Mike,

Keep us in the loop on what Sony ends up coming back with. If it's done this on two cards now then it's not an isolated incident and it's most likely the camera. This means there will be others that will eventually run into the same issue.

One last thing I'll suggest is to see if Apple's Disk Utility can read or repair the card's directory. Or if you have DiskWarrior try that.

- Don

Return to posts index

Alister Chapman
on Mar 28, 2010 at 6:47:24 pm

You do have the latest version of Clip Browser?

Some of the formats shot by the EX1R are only recognized by the latest clip browser version.

SxS-1 cards should ONLY be used with firmware version 1.1 on the EX1R, that's the whole reason for the update, to enable the use of the new cards.

Alister Chapman
http://www.xdcam-user.com

Return to posts index

mike coogan
on Mar 31, 2010 at 11:11:52 am

Sorry for the delay in getting back to both of you.

Sony now has the camera and waiting to hear back from them. I'm in Asia so dealing with Sony here.

I'm making progress on getting footage off the card and if anyone is following this thread google the program Treasured or go to aeroquartet.com It's amazing and the owner is very helpful. Now in the process of trying to re-index the footage. But he does all sorts of data recovery from Iphone to Redcode!

Will keep you up dated with the camera, but at this point think it's a lemon straight out of the factory.

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Mar 31, 2010 at 3:13:54 pm

http://www.aeroquartet.com/

Benoit Joossen is a COW member. I've heard many good things about them rescuing files themselves and rescuing files from all sorts of damaged media.

His blog is work a read too.
Not a complete failure

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]