FORUMS: list search recent posts

Clip Browser or XDCAM Transfer?

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jason Brown
Clip Browser or XDCAM Transfer?
on Mar 25, 2010 at 12:37:37 pm

We just got a new EX3 and a full size PDW-700.

I'm a bit confused...because I can use either Clip Browser or XDCAM transfer to see the media on the EX3 card. When would I use what program? I can't find any good information in the help documentation.

-Jason

Return to posts index

Michael Slowe
Re: Clip Browser or XDCAM Transfer?
on Mar 25, 2010 at 1:30:03 pm

I think (and I'll be interested to see what other say) that Clip Browser should be used to review clips and to download to drives using the safety measure or CRC which confirms and checks correct transfer. The XDCAM Transfer is the tool for ingesting selected sections or complete clips into your edit suite. I use this all the time and it's great, better than the old way of running a tape and selecting from that.

Michael Slowe

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Mar 25, 2010 at 1:36:29 pm

Michael has it right.
ClipBrowser to copy with CRC on (makes sure your copy is good).
XDCAM Transfer to wrap to MOV for Final Cut Pro.

ClipBrowser also allows you to split the BPAV so they can be archived on to optical disc (DVD, DVD DL, BD) and keep folder structure viable.

Return to posts index

Jason Brown
on Mar 25, 2010 at 1:51:14 pm

So, as I understand it, if I want to archive (bit-for-bit) the BPAV folder for archive, then use clip browser.

If I want to just pull off and work with QT wrapped EX3 codec, then XDCAM transfer is completely fine to use as a standalone solution?

The idea is that most things we shoot with the EX3 would be internal and be more podcast and topical stuff. I just need to ingest and edit that stuff...and backup the imported footage. I'd never want the BPAV folder again in most cases.

-Jason

Return to posts index

Jason Brown
on Mar 25, 2010 at 1:52:40 pm

So, as I understand it, if I want to archive (bit-for-bit) the BPAV folder for archive, then use clip browser.

If I want to just pull off and work with QT wrapped EX3 codec, then XDCAM transfer is completely fine to use as a standalone solution?

The idea is that most things we shoot with the EX3 would be internal and be more podcast and topical stuff. I just need to ingest and edit that stuff...and backup the imported footage. I'd never want the BPAV folder again in most cases.

-Jason

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Mar 25, 2010 at 2:23:19 pm

[Jason Brown] "I'd never want the BPAV folder again"

Never say never. There are many "surprise" situations you could run into but maybe none will ever be relevant to you.

Examples:
Hard drive crashes during a project.
Switch to another NLE due to an emergency and it doesn't handle the EX .mov files easily.
Switch to another NLE down the road (maybe only a few months from now) making your EX .mov hard to use.
Files become corrupted during the project or during revisions.
Need to hand something to someone using another system for finishing.

Speak to anyone who's had a hard drive crash mid project or had files become corrupted and they'll warn you BACKUP. Don't assume everything will always go as planed. It only takes one accident for a crisis to happen . . . oops I emptied the trash . . . Of course maybe just killing the project and moving on is OK for you because it's internal. It ain't going to be fun if you're on deadline though and can't make delivery even if it's your own podcast.

Return to posts index

Jason Brown
on Mar 25, 2010 at 3:19:51 pm

good points craig! I've been lucky with hard drives...guess it's about time for that luck to run out!

-Jason

Return to posts index

Derek Reich
on Mar 25, 2010 at 3:43:43 pm

Jason
one other thing which you may not know since you're new to the EX workflow:

NEVER EVER alter the BPAV folder or it's contents if you don't know what you're doing. The directories there must remain intact or you will lose the ability to access your files. Don't even rename the folder. You can put the BPAV folders into other folders for organization, just don't change the BPAV folder itself in any way. You can actually set a destination folder within Clipbrowser which will help you organize.

Return to posts index

Jason Brown
on Mar 25, 2010 at 3:53:03 pm

I have read that from a lot of the reading I've done on the EX workflow. I'm still struggling with how to integrate an XDCAM HD disc and EX - SxS card workflow. The disc is simple...shoot, edit...delete, reference the disc to bring it back onine. But the EX has to come off the card, and where does it go to keep it separate from footage that you can delete.

I'm struggling with the change from AVID to FCP...the AVID was great at organizing my media...but FCP let's me put it anywhere!

-Jason

Return to posts index

Dennis Dillon
on Mar 25, 2010 at 6:42:13 pm

Jason,
Since you have a 700, you might want to consider a U1 Sony XD drive for archiving your EX material to the "User Data" folder on an optical disk. The U1 can then be used for both 700/EX ingest/Archive.

Return to posts index

Jason Brown
on Mar 25, 2010 at 7:31:19 pm

I apologize, because I don't have any experience with the discs yet. We're still waiting for all the components of the 700 (LENS!) ...

We do have a U1 drive. Could you explain the process a little more in detail of how that transfer would work? Clip Browser direct to the disc? Then import from disc via XDCAM transfer, and then it's backed up on disc?

Thanks for the help!

-Jason

Return to posts index

Andy Nickless
on Mar 26, 2010 at 6:49:23 am

As they're free, it's certainly worth getting both Clip Browser and XDCAM Transfer.

One little feature I like on XDCAM Transfer is that you can select all the clips and play them continuously like a movie. On Clip Browser - you can only select one clip at a time as far as I can see.

You retain more file info if you use Clip Browser to ingest.

Return to posts index

David Burch
on Apr 24, 2010 at 10:26:41 pm

I have actually experienced a strange thing before with XDCAM Transfer, where a small section of the wrapped file had a couple of frames of digital dropout. The strange part is that when I went back to the original BPAV, the footage was clean at the same location, and I was able to re-wrap a small section of the footage and patch it into my timeline seamlessly. As a result I never get rid of my BPAV folder until my project is finished.

Another thing Clip Browser is useful for is if you are shooting long events that span multiple cards. Clip Browser will seam the cards back together into a single video clip. I'm not sure if XDCAM Transfer does this.

Return to posts index

cow
Jason Brown
on Apr 25, 2010 at 8:05:13 pm

[David Burch] "I'm not sure if XDCAM Transfer does this."

In my experience, it does not...

good information, thanks for the update.

Return to posts index

Andy Nickless
on Apr 26, 2010 at 11:15:04 am

[Jason Brown] "In my experience, it does not... "

Hmm . . .
In mine it does!

screen grab from Sony XDCAM Transfer

This is a screen grab I took this morning. The thin vertical line on the timeline shows the point at which XDCAM Transfer has joined the clip which spanned two SxS cards.

It plays (and ingests) seamlessly from this.

Return to posts index

Jason Brown
on Apr 28, 2010 at 5:27:06 pm

Maybe I'm not using it correctly then...my card just shows "incomplete clip" ... if I put the other card in, it asks me to add the previous card...I only have one slot to ingest cards.

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Apr 28, 2010 at 5:39:34 pm

I could of SWORN I've said this before.

Use ClipBrowser with CRC on to copy clips to hard drive folder
Use XDCAM Transfer to access ALL the folders and it will join all the clips.

If you simply use XDCAM Transfer to wrap to MOV you're heading into so many potential nightmares. BAN this workflow. Don't go near it!

It was the third post in the thread responding to you. If you don't understand it ask a question rather than spend a month of back and forth only to wind up back with the same instructions.

Return to posts index

Jason Brown
on Apr 28, 2010 at 6:03:03 pm

Thank you Craig...I'm overwhelmed because I've had to jump into this XDCAM workflow using both EX and Disc based formats...I'm still trying to wrap my head around workflow with this tapeless stuff.

Thanks for everyone's help.

-Jason

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]