FORUMS: list search recent posts

EX1 auto focus completely unresponsive

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Chuck Miller
EX1 auto focus completely unresponsive
on Mar 24, 2010 at 8:06:15 pm

Hi, Can't seem to find this problem in any other thread, so maybe my camera is just *broken*, but thought I would query anyway:

The auto focus is completely unresponsive. It's not that there is a lag, it simply does nothing. "Push" auto focus does nothing as well. In auto focus mode, the focus ring stays static. Is there some Byzantine setting that I can't seem to find in the manual that would override auto focus in all cases?

Many thanks.

Return to posts index

Chuck Miller
Re: EX1 auto focus completely unresponsive
on Mar 24, 2010 at 8:54:28 pm

hmmm, can't seem to delete post. figured it out. Focus ring needed to be slide forward out of full manual mode. Duh.

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on Mar 24, 2010 at 8:58:32 pm

Well I know it's embarrassing but it's better for the forum to leave your post up. That way someone else searching through this thread someday will learn from you.

Noah

Check out my book: RED: The Ultimate Guide to Using the Revolutionary Camera!
Unlock the secrets of 24p, HD and Final Cut Studio with Call Box Training. Featuring the Sony EX1 Guidebook, Panasonic HVX200, Canon EOS 5D Mark II and Canon 7D.
Watch Formosa- My indie movie shot with the SDX900 and finished with Final Cut Studio.

Return to posts index

Steve Wargo
on Mar 24, 2010 at 9:16:47 pm

Hey Chuck, at least you found it on your own before we barraged you with sarcastic instructions and comments. Never be afraid to ask a dumb question. Instead, be fearful of what happens after we read that dumb question.

Cheers and good luck. That is one very slick little camera.

Steve Wargo
Tempe, Arizona
It's a dry heat!

Sony HDCAM F-900 & HDW-2000/1 deck
5 Final Cut (not quite PRO) systems
Sony HVR-M25 HDV deck
2-Sony EX-1 HD .

Ask me how to Market Yourself using Send Out Cards

Return to posts index

Andy Morin
on Mar 25, 2010 at 6:54:51 am

While we're talking about the focus on the EX1, does anyone feel the lens doesn't have much depth to it. I feel like there isn't any range. I can't create an unfocused picture in most cases unless the zoom is completely extended. Perhaps i just need more practice.
Anyone else have input?

Return to posts index

Don Greening
on Mar 25, 2010 at 7:07:16 am

You could open up the iris more in concert with the lens telephoto. In order to control the extra light either use the ND filter and/or increase the shutter speed.

- Don

Return to posts index

Steve Wargo
on Mar 25, 2010 at 2:55:27 pm

Play around with the Macro function. If you have an extreme closeup situation, the macro with throw the background out of focus quite a bit.
Another thing is to get back from your subject.

The chips are still only 1/2" and the lens is a compromise. Sometimes a lens extender will give you a bit more of what you want. Outside of that, it's a lens kit and a few thousand bucks.

Steve Wargo
Tempe, Arizona
It's a dry heat!

Sony HDCAM F-900 & HDW-2000/1 deck
5 Final Cut (not quite PRO) systems
Sony HVR-M25 HDV deck
2-Sony EX-1 HD .

Ask me how to Market Yourself using Send Out Cards

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]