FORUMS: list search recent posts

Genlocking two ex3 cameras in 720/50 p

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Nedunghattil Dhanil
Genlocking two ex3 cameras in 720/50 p
on Mar 24, 2010 at 12:54:38 pm

Hi,
This is my first approach to video cameras with my stereoscopic project, I have a Aja gen10 and I can genlock the film and digital film cameras with my Aja. On sony Ex3 its genlocking tab has 3 options, honestly I can't understand this, if anybody knows how to genlock Ex3 your replay will help me alot.

-dhanil

dhanilcuts@gmail.com
Mumbai

Return to posts index

Will Salley
Re: Genlocking two ex3 cameras in 720/50 p
on Mar 25, 2010 at 3:36:39 am

You need a master clock source, usually a blackburst or sync generator.
This device provides a sync pulse to the genlock input of the camera. The video output timing of the camera(s) will then sync to each other (and every other device using the same sync pulse). This is critical for live switching but does nothing to help sync two recorded video files from different cameras. For this you simply need to use timecode. Send the timecode out of one camera to the timecode input of another camera. The setting on the "slaved" camera should be set to FREE RUN.
Using a remote to start and stop the cameras will also help.

Mac Pro 2x2.8 Quadcore - 10.6.2 - QT 7.6.3 - 22 GB RAM - nvidia8800GT - SATA internal & external storage - Blackmagic Multibridge Pro - Open GL 1.5.10 - Wacom Intous2 tablet - AJA io
SONY XDCAM EX3 - Letus Elite

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on Mar 25, 2010 at 5:11:30 am

Absolutely right.
You only need Genlock if you intend to switch signals alive.
rafael

http://www.nagavideo.com

Return to posts index

Nedunghattil Dhanil
on Mar 25, 2010 at 8:44:13 am

Hi guys,
I am only expects the replay from any guys who experienced with the genlocking Sony ex3 cameras for 3D.

-dhanil

dhanilcuts@gmail.com
Mumbai

Return to posts index

giancarlo morieri
on May 17, 2010 at 9:27:06 am

hi Dhanil, i have the same issue, i am trying to understand how to genlock two ex3 cameras for 3d.

in the manual it says that you can only genlock the cameras using the hq 1080/24p format setting (its in the ntsc area)

as well we here have a stereo brain 3d processor (from inition) that we are using for mixing the left and right channel to be shown in a 2d sony monitor. that is giving us problems as well, the right channel is not good, is costantly sliding slowly. and its not a camera problem because I did the "all reset" to the two ex3 cameras. and switched the cables and cameras and the problem is always with the right channel coming out of the processor

if any of you nice people had some similar experience, any help is appreciated
thanks

Giancarlo

Italy
Milano

Return to posts index

Nedunghattil Dhanil
on May 17, 2010 at 1:21:18 pm

Hey Giancarlo,
The Manuel doesn't says it only gen-lock on 24 frames, the camera has three options in its gen-locking menu, the top one is for 24 frame shooting if you are not shooting on 24 then you can select the second option.
Which device is you using for gen-locking?
And stereobrain itself is a better and simple tool, there is a very rare chance to have any problems on it. First you want to check and make sure that your settings is perfect and if you have any doubt you can mail me directly.

-dhanil

dhanilcuts@gmail.com
Mumbai

Return to posts index

giancarlo morieri
on May 19, 2010 at 11:32:56 am

hi Dhanil
about the 1080/24p mode for genlocking, you are right, I missunderstood reading the manual.
then, for genlocking with the ex3 we are not using any syncro generator since it genlocks fine by connecting the monitor output to the genlock in of the other camera, plus we connected the timecodes as well.

thanks

Return to posts index

giancarlo morieri
on May 17, 2010 at 1:59:02 pm

well I found out that to genlock two ex3 cameras you have to connect a bnc cable from the monitor output to the genlock in of the other camera.
since now I've been trying by connecting from the sdi out to genlock in instead (which did not work).

doing that, the brain processor (from inition) works fine.
now is just a matter of checking out the two cameras with the beamsplitter we got from 3dfactory

then we'll pass on reds

any information, links or whatever about 3d is welcome
thanks

Giancarlo
Milano

Return to posts index

Colin Norris
on Jun 22, 2010 at 2:33:21 pm

Hi Will,
I know its a little off the point but Im hoping you may be able to shed a little light on a grey problem.
Im looking into buying a second hand SDI vision mixer which Im intending on using with a combination of ex1's & ex3's The mixer has genlock in and out and the ex3's have genlock in. If I buy a black burst generator and feed the mixer deck and ex3's how will this effect the feed from the ex1s unfortunately we dont have the budget yet to go with all ex3s.
Would be great if you could give us any advice
Many thanks
Colin

Return to posts index

Patrick King
on Mar 2, 2011 at 10:55:27 pm

I've just come off the back of a stereoscopic shoot where originally we were going to shoot with two Sony EX3 cameras. The client desired 24p footage, so the cameras were set to NTSC area and HQ1080/24p (actually outputting psf). We tried to genlock the cameras in the way we would if we were shooting PAL - MON OUT of the master camera to GENLOCK IN of the slave. This has been rock solid in the past, at PAL 25p and 50i.

But in NTSC, and at 24p, there was heavy visible distortion to the images of each camera... Clearly not genlocking.

Circumventing the camera to camera route, we fed timecode into an Ambient lock-it box to the EX3s, an took the Trilevel sync out into a Kramer DA and into each cameras GENLOCK IN. No joy.

Then an AJA GEN10 was introduced into the setup, feeding from it to each EX3. Dipswitches were set to the the correct settings (from what info on video standard the camera and display settings on a Transvideo informed us of. Still no stable images from the far-from-genlocked cameras. (Configurations for 23.98 were also tried with each genlock sync generator (the EX3 is actually 23.98p as opposed to 24p).

Running out of options, time for experimentation and patience, we took to the decision to go with Sony P1s. 24p, GEN10, both cameras genlocked.

We had acceptable images, though over a short period of time, the sync would drift. We would check sync before turning over, and if necessary, cycle power on each camera.

My immediate feeling is that 24p/psf doesn't like being genlocked, although I'm not unconvinced that it's an issue with power supplies in the UK and 50Hz vs 60Hz phase issues. I will hopefully get the chance to research this in more depth, and will notify of any findings.

Good-luck.

PS: EX3s were run off battery, P1's off 13.8v power supply.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]