FORUMS: list search recent posts

EX1 media transfer question

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Andrew Black
EX1 media transfer question
on Mar 22, 2010 at 4:50:33 pm

I have a question regarding transfer of files from SxS cards to a hard drive. I had a shoot with the EX1 and though I have shot with it previously I have not managed the data. I mounted the SxS card via a card reader and viewed the images on clip browser. Then I simply dragged the BPAV folder onto a hard drive and renamed it. I now knew that the media had been transferred and had seen the clips. I ejected the card and formatted it but I did not export the media from the card. So, now I have these BPAV files that clip browser does not see. The only way to get at the media that I can figure out is to import the quicktime files from the individual clip files through Clip browser. But this is time intensive and inconvenient. Is there another way to view footage aside from this time consuming process. Also, when exporting it to be used with Final Cut is the best export protocol "MFX for NLE"

Thanks in advance for helping with this. Much appreciated.

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
Re: EX1 media transfer question
on Mar 22, 2010 at 5:01:21 pm

Always use ClipBrowser with CRC ON to copy the files.
NEVER drag the BPAV.
NEVER EVER rename the BPAV.

Your workflow is a recipe for disaster.

Put whatever you renamed the BPAV to in a separate parent folder and then name the whatever you called the BPAV back to BPAV.

Then ClipBrowser can read them assuming nothing was corrupted when you copied the files.

Return to posts index

Andrew Black
on Mar 22, 2010 at 5:40:51 pm

OK, Thanks Craig. I did what you suggested. I have two sets of clips. One is now readable by clip browser and the other is not. It sees the folder but the clips do not come up nor does the folder have the ex icon stamped on it. Any suggestions. Thanks for your help. Lesson learned.

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Mar 22, 2010 at 5:45:39 pm

make sure you're pointing to the parent folder and not the BPAV.

Do you think anything else might have been changed. The folder structure and metadata must be unaltered inside the BPAV

Return to posts index

Andrew Black
on Mar 22, 2010 at 6:12:16 pm

The BPAV folder in not altered. It has remained the same although I think I may have pulled a quicktime file out of one of the clip folders and then put it back when I was trying to see the clips via quicktime.

I have another set of the BPAV files on another hard drive so they may work. Unfortunately, the other hard drive is not with me.

If I import the quicktime files into clip browser will I suffer any quality loss. Also, I did export some files by way of MXF for NLE so I have a folder full of those. I should be able to open them in FCP correct? Thanks

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Mar 22, 2010 at 6:20:05 pm

There are no Quicktime files in BPAV folders.
You can not import Quicktime files into ClipBrowser.
FCP doesn't handle MXF unless you purchase a plugin.

I'm not sure if you're accurately presenting your workflow so I'm not sure where to go with this.

Return to posts index

Andrew Black
on Mar 22, 2010 at 6:31:10 pm

If I open a BPAV folder, then open the CLPR folder, then open the numbered clip folder it shows several files one of which is an MP4 file which, at least judging from the file icon, is a quicktime file. I can import this file into clip browser by file>import...find that mp4 file in the BPAV>CLPR>clip folder and importing it. AB

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Mar 22, 2010 at 6:36:33 pm

Quicktime is .mov
Those are mp4. In many cases Quicktime can play mp4 but they are not necessarily Quicktime files and Quicktime can not play EX .mp4 files.

Return to posts index

Andrew Black
on Mar 22, 2010 at 7:38:01 pm

Okay, so for what it is worth this is what I did to make the files work. I "imported" the files creating a BVAP folder that was essentially a recreation of the first one. I did this by using the import function to copy the MP4 files one by one. This recreated the BVAP file with all the associated meta-data. The clip browser now can see all the files in the recreated BVAP folder. Thanks for your help. AB

Return to posts index

Don Greening
on Mar 22, 2010 at 6:30:10 pm

[Andrew Black] "The only way to get at the media that I can figure out is to import the quicktime files from the individual clip files through Clip browser."

This is not Clip Browser's purpose. An oversimplification is to describe it as a copy tool. You cannot use it to import XDCAM EX video clips into Final Cut Pro. You need Sony's XDCAM Transfer Tool. You can find it here:

http://support.sonybiz.ca/esupport/eSupportHome.asp

You're looking for this file: XDCAM Transfer for Final Cut Pro PDZK-P1 V2.11

- Don

Return to posts index

Andrew Black
on Mar 22, 2010 at 6:34:10 pm

Thank you, Don.

Return to posts index

Don Greening
on Mar 22, 2010 at 6:47:57 pm

Once you get XDCAM Transfer downloaded and installed you can run it as a stand-alone app. Start the program and go to preferences, and click on the "Import" tab,specifically you want to select a folder where you want the converted video clips to reside. Once that's done then at the bottom of the XDCAM Transfer page click on the ADD button. Within the window that pops up navigate to the folder containing one of the BPAV folders on your hard drive. Once the program "sees" the folder it will automatically show all the clips in the main window. You can select all the clips (Cmd A) and click "Import". The rest is all automatic.

From there it's just a matter of starting FCP, navigating to the converted files and importing.

You can also use XDCAM Transfer within FCP. To do this start FCP and from the File menu choose: Import>Sony XDCAM. The XDCAM Transfer Tool will start automatically and you can use it the same way as you do when it's a stand-alone app. The difference here is that once you've gotten to the point where you choose "Import" in the XDCAM Window the files will be converted, imported into the perviously chosen XDCAM folder but will also appear on FCP's Browser automatically.

All this stuff I've just copied and pasted from one of my previous go-arounds with another poster. It's all available by using the COW's search function.

- Don

Return to posts index

Andrew Black
on Mar 22, 2010 at 7:31:38 pm

Thanks again, Don. I did find this stuff through a search but it did not solve my original issue which was getting the clip viewer to be able to see BPAV files that I had mistakenly misnamed. AB

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]