FORUMS: list search recent posts

wishlist for next firmware

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
bruno perosa
wishlist for next firmware
on Mar 19, 2010 at 9:30:18 am

I wish it could be possible to have a longer time-definable "shot transition" and that this function could be added to "interval recording"

EX3, Nikon Adaptimax with various lenses, Acuter Merlin mount, MBP17"2.93GHz, FCS2, Media100, BtcSP, DVcam

Return to posts index

Andy Nickless
Re: wishlist for next firmware
on Mar 22, 2010 at 9:51:34 pm

Without trying to be funny, I'm curious as to why anyone who isn't shooting material that might be going out live somehow would want to insert transitions 'on camera' rather than in post.

It seems to me a waste of the camera's resources but I'm more than ready to learn why the manufacturers still provide this facility.

Return to posts index

bruno perosa
on Mar 22, 2010 at 10:31:20 pm

Hello Andy, do you actually own an EX1/3?
Are you familiar with the operations of this camera?
Do you know that the transition of this camera from A to B (or viceversa) can change between 2 different positions of: focus, aperture, WB, shutter, zoom, etc, over time?
Without trying to be funny, can you explain me how you do this in post?!

EX3, Nikon Adaptimax with various lenses, Acuter Merlin mount, MBP17"2.93GHz, FCS2, Media100, BtcSP, DVcam

Return to posts index

Andy Nickless
on Mar 23, 2010 at 6:40:17 am

Hmmm . . . Not sure how to say this, Bruno . . .

I've had an EX1 for nearly two years and added an EX1R last Friday to give me more camera angles (and for its superb features).

I've shot hundreds of hours of footage on the EX1 and was totally unaware of the shot transition functions you mentioned.

How stupid of me. If I'd bothered to read the manual properly, instead of assuming the transitions were the same as on the Z1 (fade-in, fade-out etc) I could have made good use of them.

Not just getting old, I think I must be getting narrow minded too.

Anyway, thanks for enlightening me - I think I'll go and read the manual now.

Return to posts index

Don Greening
on Mar 23, 2010 at 6:48:27 am

Andy,

That's what all (or some) of those cute membrane switches under the handle are for:)

- Don

Return to posts index

Andy Nickless
on Mar 23, 2010 at 7:02:53 am

Durn it . . . I thought they were Sony's little joke - making the the Bars blot out your subject randomly, or the Screen Info disappear (almost irretrievably) just when you most needed it.

Either way, on the EX1, I usually avoided them like the plague.

Keep this info coming, it's as though I'm discovering a whole new world!
(Just kidding, Don).

Return to posts index

bruno perosa
on Mar 23, 2010 at 10:31:33 am

technology is marvelous, I use this functions sometimes to complement computerized motion control with a Merlin mount and Papywizard software, now, doing time-lapse, of course time-span is totally different; if the values of this functions would be extended, we would be able to do very complex things indeed

Return to posts index

Andy Nickless
on Mar 22, 2010 at 9:57:41 pm

I think the top item on my wish list would be (up to) 2.5 stops of under-exposure in the TLCS level menu.

Return to posts index

Michael Slowe
on Mar 25, 2010 at 1:43:55 pm

I'm with Andy on the infuriating way information on the screen can disappear when you mistakenly press one of those wretched little pads under the handle, although I believe that the EX1 R has made them a bit harder to press accidentally.

On the original thread subject I have to say that much though it may interest some people to be able to pull focus and exposure automatically, the time it takes to set the function up would negate its use for me shooting documentary in the field. If I want to pull focus it's perfectly feasible to do it manually as we always did before all the 'smoke & mirrors'.

Michael Slowe

Return to posts index

Andy Nickless
on Mar 25, 2010 at 3:38:17 pm

The EX1 R is an improvement in this respect but in the six days I've had the camera, I've still managed to bring up the bars by accident (just once).

Return to posts index

Don Greening
on Mar 25, 2010 at 6:00:45 pm

[Michael Slowe] "although I believe that the EX1 R has made them a bit harder to press accidentally. "

Correct. The EX1R has more traditional buttons that take more pressure to operate. The EX1 has membrane switches that are easily activated.

[Michael Slowe] "the time it takes to set the function up would negate its use for me shooting documentary in the field."

Right again. Although the in-camera transition functions are nice to have they're certainly not the answer for all situations.

- Don

Return to posts index

Andy Nickless
Re: wishlist for next firmware - RECORD AUDIO ONLY
on Mar 25, 2010 at 3:50:36 pm

Another item high on my wish list for the next firmware is the ability to record Audio Only.

Surely this would cost very little to incorporate into the menu - but it would save oodles of SxS (and hard drive) space on those occasions when we record voice-overs or ambient sound.

Anyone who keeps their BPAV files will be familiar with the frustration of downloading and archiving these huge files in which only the audio is required.

Return to posts index

Don Greening
on Mar 25, 2010 at 6:10:38 pm

[Andy Nickless] "Anyone who keeps their BPAV files will be familiar with the frustration of downloading and archiving these huge files in which only the audio is required."

XDCAM EX files are a mere 18% larger than MiniDV files. This is a far cry from just a few short years ago when full raster 1920x1080 video took up more than a gigabyte of hard drive space for every minute of footage. Yikes. What these cameras have done is allowed us to get into HD with enormous quality for almost the same price as the original HDV cameras.

[Andy Nickless] "Another item high on my wish list for the next firmware is the ability to record Audio Only."

Agreed.

- Don

Return to posts index

Andy Nickless
on Mar 25, 2010 at 7:18:43 pm

[Don Greening] "Yikes. What these cameras have done is allowed us to get into HD with enormous quality for almost the same price as the original HDV cameras"

I agree 100% Don.

But what I meant was, the BPAV files are way bigger than they would be if they contained only audio (and not video).

Please don't misunderstand me. The EX1 R is the most amazing value for money. A truly fantastic camera. I would hate to be without mine now.

But Sony obviously want to make improvements and surely that's what this post is about. I'm not complaining (well, maybe just a little niggle about those membrane controls) just trying to make constructive suggestions.

Return to posts index

Don Greening
on Mar 26, 2010 at 3:38:27 am

[Andy Nickless] "But what I meant was, the BPAV files are way bigger than they would be if they contained only audio (and not video). "

Yes, you're right and being able to record audio only would certainly be a good choice as far as a firmware upgrade. Off the top of my head though, I can't think of any camera out there that allows you to record audio only. You can certainly transfer audio only from cameras but all of them record the video, too.

Generally, people who want an extra audio source just use a dedicated audio recorder. We do this all the time.

- Don

Return to posts index

Andy Nickless
on Mar 26, 2010 at 6:10:14 am

[Don Greening] "Generally, people who want an extra audio source just use a dedicated audio recorder"

Agreed, but as a so-called 'prosumer' product, I would have thought this would be a valuable feature for those who don't have the budget for an audio recorder.

Or is there an inexpensive one that will give the quality of audio I can get from an EX1?
It would have to be pretty good to compete with the EX1 R's cache facility. Just set the cache to a couple of seconds and there's no chance of missing the beginning of any more audio.

Just imagine . . . with up to 15 seconds of cache, you can (for example) wait 'till the dog barks and then press the record button!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]