FORUMS: list search recent posts

PDW-U1 write back for MAC

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Nik Read
PDW-U1 write back for MAC
on Mar 18, 2010 at 1:38:40 pm

Hi all,
Need a little help please... Have recently started editing on a mac as well as a pc I am having trouble writing back to the Sony PDW-U1. It keeps saying in Finder that the disc is not readable and tells me to make sure it's not write protected (which it clearly isn't!). I think I've installed all the latest relevant drivers and updates but still no joy. It's getting frustrating!!!! Loving the mac and everything about it but I really do need to get this issue sorted as I bought a Sony PDW 350 yesterday and from now on my workflow will be completely XDCAM EX so I need the U1 for backing up files! If anyone can throw any light on the sitiuation I'd be most grateful.
thanks in advance,
Nik

Return to posts index

Nik Read
Re: PDW-U1 write back for MAC
on Mar 18, 2010 at 2:15:54 pm

just tried uninstalling xdcam transfer 2.11 and installing 2.10 and it says "some files cant be processed, either because you don't have permission to modify them, or because they are on a locked volume".
Any ideas?
thanks
Nik

Return to posts index

Clint Fleckenstein
on Mar 18, 2010 at 3:30:04 pm

I don't think this is an XDCAM Transfer problem...make sure you install the latest version.

Sony released a firmware update for the PDW-U1 that enabled a lot of functions for XDCAM EX users and Mac users in general. The file I have in my Downloads folder on this machine is "PDW-U1_VFAM_v221_WinMac.zip". You might want to check your firmware version on that drive. I downloaded the update from the Sony support site.

Cf

Return to posts index

Nik Read
on Mar 18, 2010 at 5:00:24 pm

Clint
Yes, just tried that too, but all I get is the same message as I described earlier. I've run out of things to try or places to go now, so hopefully somebody here can help!
thanks
Nik

Return to posts index

Clint Fleckenstein
on Mar 18, 2010 at 6:55:41 pm

Darn. I was hoping to be useful. The only other thing I could suggest is checking and re-checking all the settings in the U1 Utility to make sure that the disc is properly formatted (there is a recovery utility) and that it's not set as write-protected. Those things have to be done through the application, if I remember correctly.

Cf

Return to posts index

zhou jian
Can PDW-U1 Be Written?
on Apr 5, 2010 at 1:06:23 am

Hi, all!
Maybe my English is too poor to write these massages. But now I am anxious to know the sollusion with PDW-U1.
I need some professional answers to me.
Because I am going to buy PDW-U1 recently. Before this behavior, I still have four questions that I don't know how to solve.
First, Can PDW-U1 be written?
Second, how the largest volumns can be written into the disc by once if permission by PDW-U1? Maybe 6GB?
10GB?or more?
Third, what OS does PDW-U1 need?
Last, what software can I use ? Or
What software can I use to transfer to get the right format of files with MXF into disc? Premeire?Final cut?After Effects?Vegas?
Or just import image sequents to the software and then render as to burn the disc?
I hope somebody can give me the right answers at once.
Thanks a lot!
Zhou Jian
Guangzhou,China.
April 4nd.

Return to posts index

Nik Read
Re: Can PDW-U1 Be Written?
on Apr 6, 2010 at 9:49:14 am

Dear Jian,
In answer to your 4 questions:
1. Yes, the U1 can be written to by either PC or Mac - we have both and now they both work!
2. I haven't tried massive file sizes but I am not aware of any particular limitation.
3. You can use the Sony XDCAM Clip Browser software, or you can just use Windows explorer and write to the User Data folder on the U1 discs, or you can use Finder on the Mac and also write to the User Data folder.
4. When you use the U1 you don't have to change the type of file, it will copy exactly any kind of file. Just think of the U1 as another external hard drive.

I hope this helps you, best of luck,
Nik

Return to posts index

Steve Connor
on Mar 18, 2010 at 8:48:43 pm

What OS are you using?

Steve Connor
Adrenalin Television

Have you tried "Search Posts"? Enlightenment may be there.

Return to posts index

Steve Connor
on Mar 18, 2010 at 8:51:57 pm

Because Snow Leopard appears to not be supported http://pro.sony.com/bbsc/ssr/micro-xdcam/resource.downloads.bbsccms-assets-...

Steve Connor
Adrenalin Television

Return to posts index

Nik Read
on Mar 18, 2010 at 10:06:29 pm

Steve,
It's snow leopard and yes, I too noticed the note from Sony. So what I did was uninstall version 2.11 and re-install version 2.10 which from what I can gather should work. But to no avail... Can anyone get the mac to write back to the U1 using snow leopard? If so, please share this information....!
thanks
Nik

Return to posts index

Steve Connor
on Mar 19, 2010 at 9:30:11 am

Not sure that works, as I understand it the U1 doesn't work correctly with SL no matter what version of software you have

Steve Connor
Adrenalin Television

Return to posts index

Nik Read
on Mar 19, 2010 at 9:39:15 am

Steve,
In which case I'm completely wasting my time... :)
Trouble is, there never seems to be any definitive answers from Sony, it's all a bit wishy-washy.
Oh well, back to the drawing board,
Thanks for your help.
Nik

Return to posts index

Steve Connor
on Apr 2, 2010 at 5:49:06 pm

Sony have just released updated software that may solve your problem finally

http://support.sonybiz.net/software/detail.aspx?id=BPE-SS-03GG&model=PDW-U1

Steve Connor
Adrenalin Television

Return to posts index

Nik Read
on Apr 6, 2010 at 9:43:46 am

Steve,
Many thanks for that - tried it this morning and YES it does work! Superb, that means that finally the U1 can be used to store archive material.

Many thanks,
all the best
Nik

Return to posts index

Ray Raley
on Apr 8, 2010 at 4:31:58 pm

Updated 2.3 U1 driver for Windows 7 and Snow Leopard

http://forums.creativecow.net/readpost/142/870517

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved