FORUMS: list search recent posts

Logging XDCAM HD Footage after import?

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jeff Murchison
Logging XDCAM HD Footage after import?
on Mar 15, 2010 at 4:48:33 pm

Hey folks,

Currently sitting in front of me are 30 (yes, thirty) XDCAM HD discs that I'm in the progress of logging and transferring to an HDD. I've been using XDCAM Transfer to grab the proxies and log the clips.

Now, I'd gotten through logging the first nine before my superiors decided to forgo an edit with the proxies and just do everything with the full-res footage.

So now I'm wondering if there's any way I can continue to log footage that has already been imported in XDCAM Transfer, or if there is a way that I can copy the metadata from XDCAM Transfer to the clips imported into Final Cut.

As of right now I'm continuing to import the discs to the HDD, and my fallback is just logging in FCP. It's not as nice as XDCAM Transfer (I love the interface for logging there), but it works.

Return to posts index

Don Greening
Re: Logging XDCAM HD Footage after import?
on Mar 15, 2010 at 6:40:50 pm

[Jeff Murchison] "or if there is a way that I can copy the metadata from XDCAM Transfer to the clips imported into Final Cut. "

I don't use XDCAM discs but when I use XDCAM Transfer for XDCAM EX clips the program always generates an XML file for each clip, which is essentially the metadata. Is there not a similar file that gets generated when logging discs?

- Don

Return to posts index

Jeff Murchison
on Mar 15, 2010 at 6:45:56 pm

Where are the XML files created?

Return to posts index

Don Greening
on Mar 15, 2010 at 6:54:24 pm

Well for EX clips the XML files get deposited in the same folder as the clips. That folder is the one specified in XDCAM Transfer preferences under the "Import" tab.

- Don

Return to posts index

Jeff Murchison
on Mar 15, 2010 at 6:59:52 pm

Nope, no XML files, and the files themselves don't contain the metadata.

Return to posts index

Don Greening
on Mar 15, 2010 at 7:04:25 pm

Okay. Well it was a shot in the dark anyway. Obviously there are big differences in the way XDCAM Transfer imports disc media as opposed to SxS Pro card media. I'm totally ignorant when it comes to XDCAM HD disc stuff. You'll have to wait for someone with more knowledge than I. Sorry I couldn't help.

- Don

Return to posts index

Jeff Murchison
on Mar 15, 2010 at 7:55:34 pm

Well thanks anyways for trying :P

Return to posts index

Don Greening
on Mar 15, 2010 at 8:24:47 pm

Just found something while answering another post. By default, under the Import tab in XDCAM Transfer preferences the box for "Write Final Cut Pro XML file" is unchecked. Have a look and if that's the case then that may be why you couldn't find companion XML files for your clips.

- Don

Return to posts index

Jeff Murchison
on Mar 15, 2010 at 8:34:22 pm

Excellent find!

Now my only question is how can I export just the xml file?

Return to posts index

Don Greening
on Mar 15, 2010 at 8:43:57 pm

I don't know. Like I mentioned before, I'm a mental zero when it comes to XDCAM disc stuff. With the XDCAM EX stuff the XML file gets generated when you import a clip and it becomes a separate but companion file for each clip and they both reside together in the same import folder.

It may be that in oder to get XML data for the clips you've already imported into exportable files you might have to re-import them all. That would be a time waster. The XML Final Cut Pro files are perfect for logging programs like CatDV.

- Don

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]