FORUMS: list search recent posts

Transferring video from EX1 into FCP 6.0.1

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jared Cicon
Transferring video from EX1 into FCP 6.0.1
on Mar 13, 2010 at 6:13:16 am

Hi everyone. Hope I can get a hand here. Pretty much at my wits end. I looked down the thread and couldn't find a topic that answered my question (addressed my problem). Here Goes.
I am trying to transfer footage shot with a SONY PMW EX1 into Final Cut 6.0.1. I just upgraded my operating system to Snow Leopard 10.6 (maybe that's my problem). I have a Mac 2GHz Intel Core Duo, w/2GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM.

Could I get some help on the different drivers and tools I need to get to make this work. I rented the EX1 for the weekend and would really love to get this footage into my computer before I am required to return the rental on Monday. Thank you all. I can't believe how much easier it is to just log and capture footage from my FX1. I was hoping this experience would be similar.
Jared

Return to posts index

Don Greening
Re: Transferring video from EX1 into FCP 6.0.1
on Mar 13, 2010 at 8:04:47 am

The post at the link below should help:

http://forums.creativecow.net/readpost/142/864398

- Don

Return to posts index

Jared Cicon
on Mar 13, 2010 at 8:19:49 am

Hey Don,
Thanks for helping out here. I was able to see the clips using the browsing tool. I was even able to save the video files to my Mac Hard Drive as MPEG4 files. But you are right, I have been unable to ingest them through log and transfer into FCP. I normally only run 5.1.4 since I have a pair of FX1's and only log and capture (frankly, I am happy with the old version - ignorance is bliss.

This footage though was shot on the EX-1 and I installed FCP 6.0.1 only for the purpose of getting this footage into Final Cut. Is there an update still available that would let me get to 6.0.2 so I can get this done?

Jared

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Mar 13, 2010 at 1:32:10 pm

You should be able to update to FCP 6.0.6 which was the last version in that series. Software Update or a trip to Apple's Support site will get you it.

Return to posts index

Greg Ondera
on Mar 13, 2010 at 4:32:36 pm

Every now and then I see these kind of posts from video guys where they rent or borrow one of the EX cameras and I feel sorry for them, as they are sort of dashed against the rocks with the workflow thing. Also Sony has done a poor job of mapping put EX workflow, in my opinion.

There are two aps you have to use, Browser and Transfer to get EX footage into FCP and the one important precaution, not to overwrite a BPAV folder if you have spanned more than one card. And yes, you do need FCP6.

So create a folder for each BPAV folder and place them into a folder labeled "Card A," "Card B," and so forth, by using Bowser. Drag and drop each clip by selecting all clips and dragging them into these folders from the top windows to the bottom.

Then create a folder in Capture Scratch and using XDCam TRansfer import each of these "Card A" "Card B" and so forth into Transfer, then in preferences, choose where you want the transfer to go, that folder in Capture Scratch, and highlight all cards in the left hand column, all your work that you did, especially the cards that spanned to a second card and choose import all and wait. Then using command I import your capture scratch footage into FCP. That's it and it is a breeze once you do it several times.

Greg Ondera
http://www.Plexus.tv
http://www.SurgeonToday.org

Return to posts index

Jared Cicon
on Mar 13, 2010 at 4:58:12 pm

Hi Greg,
Thanks for taking the time to respond to my post. I just uploaded the 6.0.6 update and was given the warning message that the "6.0.6. update can only be installed if updating version 6.0.5". Does this mean, I will need to find/download/update all of the versions 2-6 to get this done? Seems more than a little ass-backwards of apple if I must say so. I am more than a little frustrated with this entire experience.
Jared

Return to posts index

Jared Cicon
on Mar 13, 2010 at 7:12:29 pm

Hey Greg,
I just finished installing all of the updates necessary to bring FCP up to 6.0.6. When I go to log and transfer, though, I am issued the following 'WARNING' message.

"CLPR" contains unsupported media or has an invalid directory structure. Please choose a folder whose directory structure matches supported media.

If you all can give the correct path ie: > -> from here on out, I would be very grateful. I know you advised to download some other programs with the knowledge that I would be using 6.0.2. Now that I have 6.0.6 will the procedure be any different/easier?

Thank you for your generosity.

Jared

Return to posts index

Jared Cicon
on Mar 13, 2010 at 5:02:04 pm

Hi Craig, you Don, Greg and the guys have been awesome. I just downloaded the 6.0.6 update and before installing was given the warning message that I could only install it on top of 6.0.5. does this mean I have to find/install all previous versions? Starting to be a little overwhelming here. For the life of me I have not been able to find update number 6.0.2.
Jared

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Mar 13, 2010 at 5:21:06 pm

Yes there might be some "underbelly" changes that are installed in a previous version. If memory serves me there were major changes between 6.0.1 and 6.0.2 and I think there might have been another leap in there as well. Use software update to see what pops up next. It may well say ProKit or ProApps rather than and FCP version number though.

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on Mar 13, 2010 at 5:31:07 pm

If it's something you're going to be working with more than once- I'd highly recommend springing for the update to FCP 7- with updated EX1 support. Worth every penny of that $299.

Noah

Check out my book: RED: The Ultimate Guide to Using the Revolutionary Camera!
Unlock the secrets of 24p, HD and Final Cut Studio with Call Box Training. Featuring the Sony EX1 Guidebook, Panasonic HVX200, Canon EOS 5D Mark II and Canon 7D.
Watch Formosa- My indie movie shot with the SDX900 and finished with Final Cut Studio.

Return to posts index

Jared Cicon
on Mar 13, 2010 at 5:42:14 pm

Hey Don, Craig, Greg and Noah,
Thanks again for dividing your time to support me here.

Some google searching produced this fairly comprehensive Apple update page for 6.0.1. It has all of the necessary updates that take the user from 6.0.1 up to 6.0.6. Since I received the warning message that I had to have '6.0.5 version first', before installing 6.0.6, I have made the decision to start from square one and upload all of the updates in the order they were issued/published by Apple. Hopefully this will help someone else who is in my position.

Here is the link to the Update Page: http://support.apple.com/kb/DL737
After typing in your appleID/serial number it will take you to this page: https://swdlp.apple.com/cgi-bin/WebObjects/SoftwareDownloadApp.woa/1377/wo/...

I will let you guys know how it goes, once I have 6.0.6 installed. Hopefully I will be able to take my EX1 problem home to the stable from that point out. If not I am hoping you all will be as generous with more information as you have been.

RE: Noah. Good call on the eventual upgrade. Probably the right decision at this fork in the road. It will be next on my indulging To-Do list. {:-])

Jared

Return to posts index

Don Greening
on Mar 13, 2010 at 7:42:37 pm

http://forums.creativecow.net/readpost/142/870052

After you've read the link above then come back to this thread and we'll work from here.

- Don

Return to posts index

Jared Cicon
on Mar 13, 2010 at 8:16:39 pm

Hey Don,
Done, done and done. In the cockpit, waiting instructions on how to land this puppy.
Jared

Return to posts index

Don Greening
on Mar 13, 2010 at 8:25:02 pm

OK good. Now you can actually use XDCAM Transfer as a stand alone app. Start the program and go to preferences, specifically you want to select a folder where you want the converted video clips to reside. Once that's done then at the bottom of the XDCAM Transfer page click on the ADD button. Within the window that pops up navigate to the card icon on your desktop. Once the program "sees" the card it will automatically show all the clips in the main window. You can select all the clips (Cmd A) and click "Import". The rest is all automatic.

Start FCP, navigate to the import folder you created and choose to import all the converted MOV files. They'll appear in FCP's browser window.

- Don

Return to posts index

Jared Cicon
on Mar 13, 2010 at 8:36:03 pm

Hey Don,
I have googled to locate the correct XDCAM Transfer upload and there seems to be countless ones. Does Snow Leopard require a special one to operate optimally and if so could you give me a heads up on a LINK?

Return to posts index

Don Greening
on Mar 13, 2010 at 8:43:13 pm

[Jared Cicon] "Does Snow Leopard require a special one to operate optimally and if so could you give me a heads up on a LINK? "

Not a special one but just the latest one. You can find it on this page at the Canadian Sony site:

http://support.sonybiz.ca/esupport/eSupportHome.asp

You're looking for this file: XDCAM Transfer for Final Cut Pro PDZK-P1 V2.11

Install that and you should be good to go. Speaking of which, I also have to go out for awhile but I'll be keeping tabs on you with my iPhone and the COW MOBI.

Good luck,

- Don

Return to posts index

Jared Cicon
on Mar 13, 2010 at 8:46:45 pm

I'm on it.

Return to posts index

Jared Cicon
on Mar 13, 2010 at 9:01:06 pm

Hi Don,
I downloaded the program. It appears as a DMG disc on my desktop as 'XDCAM Transfer 2.11', but every time I click on it, it only gives me the option to 'Read Me, documentation and install'. I don't know where the he** it went to. I have installed it twice now and can't find it anywhere. There is no icon to 'Start' the program. It's not in my applications. Oh boy.
Jared

Return to posts index

Don Greening
on Mar 13, 2010 at 9:40:28 pm

With snow leopard there's a dowload folder in dock. Click on it and the folder will pop open to reveal the contents. You'll find the Sony transfer tool .dmg there. Just drag to the desktop and double click to mount the .dmg.

- Don

Return to posts index

Jared Cicon
on Mar 13, 2010 at 9:52:29 pm

Okay Don,
Though, it didn't prompt me, I just stopped and restarted my MAC and there it was in the Applications folder. So I opened up the program and turned on the XDCAM to 'execute and I see the files in the browser window. I am unsure though how to create/choose a destination folder and which Hard Drive I can use to store them on. Does it have to be on the MAC?
Jared

Return to posts index

Don Greening
on Mar 13, 2010 at 10:01:21 pm

Within XDCAM Transfer there will be a preferences command in one of the drop down menus at the top. Just start clicking on the menus until you find it. In the window that appears there should be a tab that allows you to select where you want the converted clips to be stored. Once that's done just note where that is and then highlight a clip and click on import at the bottom of the main window.

- Don

Return to posts index

Jared Cicon
on Mar 13, 2010 at 10:09:49 pm

Hey Don, Okay, I added the new 'cache' location folder using 'Preferences'. The program was required to re-start. After it re-started I selected all clips and pressed 'Import'. I can see status bars being deployed consecutively along the selected clips. I think this is good right? I can assume they are being exported into the file folder I assigned in preferences.

At this juncture, will I be able to simply open FCP and then import these video files into bins or must I still convert the codecs in compressor, and if so, to what?

Yeah, I know....I am asking a whole bunch of questions and digging pretty deep into your Saturday. I'm going to owe you in a big way.

In the end, I have hi-def footage from a SONY HDRFX1 that has already been shot and it will be merged with this EX1 footage for use in the same :30 spec. commercial. I would like this footage to be as easy to edit as possible while keeping it's resolution nice and sharp. The footage from the EX1 is 1280x720 (I used the slo-mo 60FPS capability), while the footage from the FX1 will be 1440x1080i.

What is my best strategy for getting the most out of both formats, merged in the same timeline, while maintaining their hi-def and frame rate attributes?

Jared

Return to posts index

Don Greening
on Mar 13, 2010 at 10:15:48 pm

I will be able to answer the first two of your questions. The rest I will answer when I get home.
Yes, your clips will be exported into the folder you selected in preferances. This is the last step in preparing the clips for use in FCP.

- Don

Return to posts index

Jared Cicon
on Mar 13, 2010 at 10:28:01 pm

Roger that Don. Just to let you know, I made a folder in an external hard drive and hit the 'add' button and then 'import'. Upon conclusion of the import I checked the folder and found three folders titled: 1) Databases, 2) Proxies, 3) Thumbnails. I didn't find any large MB video files though. Later today when you get home I am sure you will help me make sense of this all. Thanks again and enjoy your afternoon. (I am PST time). If at anytime you think a phone call would expedite this and save you time, you may call me at 800-261-1343. Thanks again Don.
Jared

Return to posts index

Greg Ondera
on Mar 13, 2010 at 10:55:49 pm

Wow. I just got home and Don, I can't believe how generous you are with the explanations. This has all been mapped out so many times before too, and seems to get redone each time someone asks this same set of questions. I think it is really negligent of Sony not to have a workflow mini-course posted on one of their sites and it goes to show you how much they don't give a hoot when you even have to go to a Canadian Sony site to get the drivers and software. They want to sell cameras and they are missing marketing the experience and value.

So to answer your final question, yes you will be able to edit up those two formats on the same timeline, but I would plan out how you want it to behave first and use the 60P as the format to establish the timeline if you want to do slow mo tricks where the action slows and is well defined and not blurry. Otherwise test it and try both and see what you get.

Also I advocate Doug Jensen's DVD series on XDCam work at Vortex <http://www.vortexmedia.com/DVD_EX3.html>. Again, the main key warning to this whole XDCam workflow thing is not to alter the folders and files within the BPAV folder and not to copy over a BPAV folder from a first card with a secondary card. Otherwise you loose your previous footage, so you send each BPAV folder to its own folder. Then you use XDCam Browser to transfer it to your external hard drive, and XDCam Transfer to turn it into something that FCP can read. Then again, Command I and navigate to the footage to bring it into FCP and then do your thing.

Greg Ondera
http://www.Plexus.tv
http://www.SurgeonToday.org

Return to posts index

Jared Cicon
on Mar 14, 2010 at 12:11:50 am

Hey Greg,
Thanks for bringing your experience and wisdom to the table. You are right about how fortunate SONY is to have professionals like yourself who are so willing to impart your knowledge. I wonder if you guys had a quasi-strike for a week how much SONY just might appreciate what you do for them.

I agree, Don has been amazing. Both he and you are a resource not fully appreciated by the manufacturers or even semi-peers like myself. I am grateful though for your dedication. Hopefully what you have been sending around makes it back to you on a regular basis, and if it hasn't yet, I am sure a huge payday of some consequence is surely on the horizon.

Don: After going to my 'ALL MOVIES' location on my hard drive, I located the .mov files that were imported. I don't know why they never went to the bin I assigned in preferences. Most probably a mis-step on my part. However, since the movies are there (Five copies of each...LOL), I copied them into my project elements folder. I think I am good to go here and I owe a lot to you and your dedication. i didn't record sound for obvious reasons (slo-mo) and it appears the video files are nice and clean and of the correct resolution. They look damn good. I pulled them into bins and then into the FCP timeline and they played marvelously. In fact, I had to ratchet down the PlayBack quality so they would play without getting the pause error message, so I know they are larger and higher quality in nature than my regular FX1 captured video.

I know I probably didn't execute the procedure the way you intended but at this juncture, you gave me enough information to get them into my computer as .mov files and ultimately it is what I needed. I am hoping that maybe in 6 months or so when I make the leap to a better camera, and FCP 7, that the whole process will be easier or I that I will become a more educated student.

Can't thank you enough and people like Greg for stepping up to the plate like this.

Very, very grateful.
Jared Cicon
http://www.jaredciconfilms.com

Return to posts index

Don Greening
on Mar 14, 2010 at 12:47:58 am

[Jared Cicon] " I don't know why they never went to the bin I assigned in preferences."

When you open up preferences in XDCAM Transfer you're presented with 3 tabs:

• general
  • cache
  • import

Choose "Import" and in the text field for "Import Location" type in the name of the folder on your external hard drive you want your XDCAM EX .mov files to reside. After you've typed the location in then click on "choose."

Now every time you import from the cards the converted files will go to that folder. Then it's just a simple matter of starting FCP and importing those clips into the program. They'll appear in the Browser window.

You can also use XDCAM Transfer within FCP. To do this Start FCP and from the File menu choose: Import>Sony XDCAM. The XDCAM Transfer Tool will start automatically and you can use it the same way as you do when it's a stand-alone app. The difference here is that once you've gotten to the point where you choose "Import" in the XDCAM Window the files will be converted, imported into the perviously chosen XDCAM folder but will also appear on FCP's Browser automatically.

BTW, you're welcome for the help.

Cheers;

- Don

Return to posts index

Jared Cicon
on Mar 14, 2010 at 12:59:47 am

Hey Don,
So, were I to execute the process the alternate way you describe (within final cut) it is the same .mov files that I would be ending up with correct? Thanks again for all of your advice and patience.
Jared

Return to posts index

Don Greening
on Mar 14, 2010 at 1:12:07 am

[Jared Cicon] "So, were I to execute the process the alternate way you describe (within final cut) it is the same .mov files that I would be ending up with correct?"

Yes, exactly the same. Also, the nice thing about FCP version 6 is that you have the luxury of creating any old sequence and now whatever you drag into the sequence FCP will "conform" the sequence to match the clip settings. If you don't want this to happen, i.e. you want to create a standard def sequence from the high def footage then just choose no in the dialogue box. This is great for when you want to edit more than one video format in the same sequence. If you have 80 % HDV 1440X1080 Anamorphic footage and 20 % XDCAM EX footage you'd choose the HDV sequence and just drag the EX footage into it. It will play back just fine without dropping frames if you have the Sequence settings set to "Dynamic" in the RT menu. Also, in FCP User Preferences uncheck the box for "Warn on dropped frames on playback". Now everything will play back smoothly (relatively) but blurry until you stop playback, then the picture will sharpen up. This is normal with dynamic RT. FCP will keep dropping the playback quality to retain an uninterrupted playback until the final render and output.

- Don

Return to posts index

Jared Cicon
on Mar 14, 2010 at 1:20:30 am

That's very good information to have Don. And also regarding RT menu: If I forget to put it back to 'Dynamic' before making a movie, it matters nothing since that is only for playback and if I can tolerate the quality as an editor, I can play it at lesser quality and get more editing done, without any qualitative difference in the completed project.

Additionally, turning off the 'Warning' will save me precious time by not having to re-set.

Cool.

Return to posts index

Don Greening
on Mar 14, 2010 at 1:28:49 am

[Jared Cicon] " If I forget to put it back to 'Dynamic' before making a movie, it matters nothing since that is only for playback"

Correct. Dynamic RT will not affect final output quality.

[Jared Cicon] "Additionally, turning off the 'Warning' will save me precious time by not having to re-set. "

Right again. Instead of playing at full quality and ultimately dropping frames because your system can't keep up, FCP dynamically adjusts the playback quality so you don't drop frames during playback. Dropping frames wastes time and compromises your editing rhythm.

I think you've got a pretty good grasp of everything up until now. Good luck with your editing. Post back if you have other issues. Now you know which forum to come to for answers.

- Don

Return to posts index

Jared Cicon
on Mar 14, 2010 at 1:54:14 am

You Guys are rock solid Don.
Jared

Return to posts index

Clint Fleckenstein
on Mar 15, 2010 at 1:27:03 pm

Wow...mega-thread! This is the kind of thing that makes the COW such a happy place! :)

Cf

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]