FORUMS: list search recent posts

shooting for SD DVD DVD

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Greg Ball
shooting for SD DVD DVD
on Mar 12, 2010 at 2:39:42 am

Shooting a video on EX1 for a training DVD being packaged with a medical device for home use. The DVD will be SD. Should we shoot in 1080P 30 1080i 30 or 720P? Any thoughts and why would you choose that format? Thanks.

Return to posts index

Don Greening
Re: shooting for SD DVD DVD
on Mar 12, 2010 at 4:26:38 am

You might want to have a look at Alister Chapman's article about shooting HD for delivery in SD. He talks about how to avoid downconverted "line twitter" as well as suggestions on what format to shoot depending on the subject matter.

http://www.xdcam-user.com/?p=443

- Don

Return to posts index

David Burch
Re: shooting for SD DVD DVD
on Apr 16, 2010 at 12:32:42 am

Almost everything I shoot has to be downconverted, as the vast majority of our product goes to DVD. I have found I get the best results shooting either 720p24 or 720p60, depending on if I want to end up with an interlaced or progressive final product. I find that for DVD, 24p works the best, as you get the most out of the MPEG-2 compression. 720 is better than 1080 if your only output is SD because there is less potential for aliasing, and because the camera codec will be less compressed to begin with. I would stay away from 30p, unless you like that kind of look. Personally, I can't stand it.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]