FORUMS: list search recent posts

shooting S&Q

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
david masterson
shooting S&Q
on Mar 10, 2010 at 9:15:13 pm

Question -

I have a gig coming up where I have to have 3 cameras shooting a test on a 10 inch LNG hose disconnect system dropping 45 foot to the water. Client wants 5 tests filmed all in slow motion with 3 different views, one from 85' straight up
I will run 3 EX1s shooting 720/30 @ 60fps which is the slowest settings I can get from the ex1, so, my question is this, any ideas on how I might "
tweek" something to get a better shot beside what I do in edit?

Thanks

RD

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
Re: shooting S&Q
on Mar 10, 2010 at 10:22:53 pm

You mean get better slow-motion? Well ideally I'd spring for a Phantom rental and shoot 1000 frames per second. That's around a $2500/day rental depending on lenses.

If that's outside of the budget I'd try one of the slow-motion frame recreation plugins such as Twixtor. That plus 60fps on your EX1 in Varispeed should look pretty good:

http://www.revisionfx.com/products/twixtor/

-Noah

Check out my book: RED: The Ultimate Guide to Using the Revolutionary Camera!
Unlock the secrets of 24p, HD and Final Cut Studio with Call Box Training. Featuring the Sony EX1 Guidebook, Panasonic HVX200, Canon EOS 5D Mark II and Canon 7D.
Watch Formosa- My indie movie shot with the SDX900 and finished with Final Cut Studio.

Return to posts index

Aaron Leong
on Mar 11, 2010 at 10:27:10 am

I agree with Noah. I've had some pretty good results with his latter suggestion. Couldn't afford to rent the phantom or RED. Here is a result of shooting at 720p30 overcranked to 60fps.

This was shot with the EX3. Post done in After Effects with ReVisionFX's Twixtor Pro plug-in. The first clip was slowed to 5% of original then ramped to 100% which was actually 50% of real time. The second clip was sped up to 100% real time, then ramped in Twixtor to 5%, then ramped back up to 100% real time.

The results were decent. Having said that, people dealing in video can tell the difference but those subtleties would go unnoticed to the untrained eye. Before shooting I would do tests as shutter speed, aperture, and other factors will affect your end result.

~aaron

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on Mar 11, 2010 at 3:24:27 am

You will get an stunning slow mow (no audio) shooting p24 or p30 over-cranked to p60.
If you slow that down in Compressor (Frame Control ON. Speed 50%, Rate Conversion BETTER or BEST, make a test) you will get your picture played at 20 or 25% of RT.
rafael

http://www.nagavideo.com

Return to posts index

Alister Chapman
on Mar 14, 2010 at 4:52:36 pm

If you have Final Cut Studio you can use the Optical Flow filter in Motion to slow footage down very smoothly

Alister Chapman
http://www.xdcam-user.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]