FORUMS: list search recent posts

EX3 or HVX500

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mario Biennarc Sioco
EX3 or HVX500
on Mar 9, 2010 at 3:02:45 pm

Hi Guys, I need an honest answer from you. I hope you can help me decide which camera to get for our company. We have an EX1 and an EX3 and a NanoFlash. We are planning to get a third camera. Would you suggest to get an HVX-500 or stick with an EX3? What is the big edge on both cameras? If you were us, which one would you prefer, considering we do have a nanoflash at hand? In my opinion, I'm eyeing for the EX3 and getting an extra lens or a 35mm adapter kit(letus or brevis) with the money saved from getting the P2. Rather than getting a new P2 camera and spending more on other accessories. But is it worth getting the HVX-500? Would it be considered as an upgrade for us? Because I believe that having the Nanoflash makes the EX3 at par with the HVX-500, right? Hope to hear from you. Thanks.

Mario Biennarc Sioco
Videographer & Video Editor
Gulf Broadcast
Kingdom of Bahrain

Return to posts index

Michael Palmer
Re: EX3 or HVX500
on Mar 9, 2010 at 3:12:40 pm

The HPX-500 basically uses an older SD sensor system and interpolates the image to create HD. The EX series cameras use a full raster HD sensor system. You have 2 EX cameras, IMO you have made your choice. Another EX3 will give you the ability to jam timecode. Having all the same sensors is going to make it very easy to lock a look or picture profile between cameras, and only one person needs to know the system. P2 cards are pricey and I wouldn't consider adding the P2 workflow to what you have.

Good Luck
Michael Palmer

Return to posts index

Bo Skelmose
on Mar 9, 2010 at 10:52:17 pm

I do not have a HPX-500 but a HVX-2100 and a EX3.
They can be mixed but the EX3 makes better and sharper pictures than the 2100. I have severe problems with the 21oo that sometimes just not will start up and absolutely no problems with the EX 3. I have the 2100 because some cliens ask for P2 files.
If you workflow is in your house, I would consider the PMW-350 EX camera for use with broadcast optics - this is my next choice of camera.

Return to posts index

Mario Biennarc Sioco
on Mar 10, 2010 at 5:51:32 am

Thank you very much for your facts and insights. Here's another question, how would you compare the CCD and CMOS of the 2 cameras? This has been the point of comparison when I defend myself in buying the EX3 instead of the P2. Does the HVX500 do better on low light conditions? Is there really a big advantage to with the P2's CCD? Does it greatly affect the uncompressed SDI output of either camera?

Mario Biennarc Sioco
Videographer & Video Editor
Gulf Broadcast
Kingdom of Bahrain

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]