FORUMS: list search recent posts

Something funky in the xdcam transfer

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Scott Hathaway
Something funky in the xdcam transfer
on Mar 9, 2010 at 7:31:44 am

I've never seen this problem before. When I select one of my clips, which is spanned, and I attempt to convert it to the Quicktime format using XDCam Transfer 2.10.0, I get this error message

http://i50.tinypic.com/2yua8mu.jpg

I have copied the 16gb card's information to an external hard drive which is the reference for the import. I can view the .MP4 file using VLC and I can preview the video inside of XDCam Transfer. When I try to transfer the clip by itself and not recombined, the status bar gets to 11%, freezes then I get the message. When I try to do it all together I get to about the 50% mark and then get the same message. When I preview the video in XDCam transfer the video freezes for about a minute around the spot where the issue is then continues on.

I have tried to isolate the .MP4 file by treating the .MP4 as an orphan and making a new BPAV folder with XDCam Clip Browser v2.00 but the import fails and I get this message.

http://i50.tinypic.com/func04.jpg

I fear for my data. The files were recorded onto an EX-1's 16gb SxS Pro card. All the other clips surrounding this one spanned clip (clip 3 out of 6, on the first of two cards) are okay. I can manipulate the others as I see fit, importing, converting and orphaning them into separate BPAV folders. But not this one. Can anybody shine a light?

_________

I make movies, not a living.

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
Re: Something funky in the xdcam transfer
on Mar 9, 2010 at 4:32:46 pm

Are you on FCP? Have you tried bringing that clip in via Log and Transfer instead?

Noah

Check out my book: RED: The Ultimate Guide to Using the Revolutionary Camera!
Unlock the secrets of 24p, HD and Final Cut Studio with Call Box Training. Featuring the Sony EX1 Guidebook, Panasonic HVX200, Canon EOS 5D Mark II and Canon 7D.
Watch Formosa- My indie movie shot with the SDX900 and finished with Final Cut Studio.

Return to posts index

Scott Hathaway
on Mar 10, 2010 at 8:42:55 pm

So I solved my issue by returning to the SxS cards I originally shot on and converted off of that. I also copied the data over again and tried the transfer off the hard drive and had no issues. This is an odd an unsettling issue.

_________

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Mar 10, 2010 at 9:00:59 pm

Did you use ClipBrowser with CRC on when you copied the files originally?

Return to posts index

Scott Hathaway
on Mar 11, 2010 at 3:51:58 pm

To Craig,

No, I usually do not copy the folders over using Clip Browser. Typically I copy and paste the BPAV folder into its own subfolder and do my conversions off that file. I've never had a problem before this.

_________

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Mar 11, 2010 at 4:10:59 pm

[Scott Hathaway] "No, I usually do not copy the folders over using Clip Browser. Typically I copy and paste the BPAV folder into its own subfolder and do my conversions off that file. I've never had a problem before this. "

But that's exactly what a person in a car accident would say when they are injured not wearing seat belts. It's like the cigarette smoker who is diagnosed with lung cancer and responds, "I've been smoking for 30 years and never got cancer before." Sorry to be harsh but I hope you get my point.

ClipBrowser with CRC is there to ensure your COPY matches the source. If you don't do that, it's an accident waiting to happen and when it does it can be lost master, cost of reshoot, lost client, bad reputation.

Obviously your SxS cards were good and your copy was bad. If you had reused your SxS cards you'd be in bad shape.

You should be using ClipBrowser 2.6 too. Updates are bug and compatibility fixes. You're using an early version which would be a disaster in itself. New version can split folders for backup to optical discs and can create new BPAV from orphaned MP4.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]