FORUMS: list search recent posts

PL Mounts for EX3

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Scott Hathaway
PL Mounts for EX3
on Mar 9, 2010 at 12:08:21 am

So this question seemed obvious to me hours ago before I was asked why the EX3 can't accept the PL mount of a prime 35mm lens, but when I got to thinking about it the answer wasn't so obvious. Can the EX3 mount a PL lens onto it without the use of the Letus Extreme, Ultimate, or Elite, or other brand name 35mm adapters or am I stuck with more glass? Can I use a Sony to PL mount adapter without going through the spinning ground glass?

Return to posts index

Michael Palmer
Re: PL Mounts for EX3
on Mar 9, 2010 at 12:23:55 am

I believe there is a PL mount for the EX3 available but the you won't take full advantage of 35mm lenses because you are working with a 1/2 sensors, you will not see the entire image from the 35mm lens. 35mm lens applied directly to the 1/2 sensor are somewhere about 3.8 times the magnification of the taking lens.

I have the Red Rock Encore adapter and I have used a PL mount with Zeiss super speed primes and with Zeiss SLR primes and the motion picture lenses are not as wide as the SLR primes, however it would be easier for a focus puller with real film lenses over the still primes.

You will need a lens adapter for your PL lenses and the Encore is a really good choice.

Good Luck
Michael Palmer

Return to posts index

Scott Hathaway
on Mar 9, 2010 at 6:57:05 am

Muchos gracias. I figured there was a good reason. Thanks

-Scott

_________

I make movies, not a living.

Return to posts index

Mohamed Raouf
on May 5, 2010 at 4:07:08 am

I want to explain at length
What is the reality of the problem for the development of lenses PL Mount Directly with Sony PMW-EX3 1/2" Full HD XDCAM EX Camcorder
Without the use of Letus adapter ?

Return to posts index

James Andrew
on May 8, 2010 at 3:07:36 pm

You will not feel the difference between it and any other slandered lens, because the sensor size of the EX3 is too small to handle the PL lenses.
This is why there are TV broadcast camera lenses for that type of cameras. They are simply designed for broadcast purpose and use. And boy they are expensive as well.
Unlike the PL lenses, they are specially designed for the use of motion picture film cameras that use 35mm sensor.
The bigger the senor is the more amount of light you have and more you get with picture details and depth.

http://supafraud.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/03/DSLR-Sensor-Sizes2.jpg

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]