FORUMS: list search recent posts

EX and FC Express

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jay Curlee
EX and FC Express
on Mar 5, 2010 at 11:20:04 pm

How about Final Cut Express? Does Clip Browser or Import XDCAM work with a new MacBook Pro and Express?

I am on the road. Friend is in a bind. Help much appreciated.

Jay

Jay Curlee

JC Communications
Makers of Rocking the Boat: A Musical Conversation and Journey
http://www.rockingtheboatmovie.com

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
Re: EX and FC Express
on Mar 6, 2010 at 2:43:38 am

Don't think there's any real XDCAM EX support in Final Cut Express... You would need Final Cut Pro.

Noah

Check out my book: RED: The Ultimate Guide to Using the Revolutionary Camera!
Unlock the secrets of 24p, HD and Final Cut Studio with Call Box Training. Featuring the Sony EX1 Guidebook, Panasonic HVX200, Canon EOS 5D Mark II and Canon 7D.
Watch Formosa- My indie movie shot with the SDX900 and finished with Final Cut Studio.

Return to posts index

Alister Chapman
on Mar 6, 2010 at 3:08:25 pm

The XDCAM codecs are part of Final Cut Studio so FC Express will not be able to open the files. You should be able to use Calibrated-Q's XD-decode plug-in http://www.calibratedsoftware.com/QXD.asp which should allow FCE to play back the files, but I cannot confirm this.

You will need to install the Sony XDCAM Transfer Tool to convert the files from the MP4's to .MOV first. There is a trial (watermarked) download of XD decode and I suggest you try before you buy.

Alister Chapman
http://www.xdcam-user.com

Return to posts index

martyn barnbrook
on Mar 6, 2010 at 11:53:07 am

hi jay.
i have recently bought an ex1 and use fce on an imac g5.
i have found the only way to get any footage in as the sony software only appears to be compatible with intel macs, is to shoot in sp1080i and firewire it in real time using apple intermediate codec. so no slower then tape but no faster either!
fce splits the scenes for you, which is nice.
it seems that if we want to use a pro camera, which is not cheap, sony and apple assumes we will want to use a pro app like fcp. which is fair enough i suppose!
trouble is, after buying the cam i've got no money left for a new computer or fcp!
oh well, thats the way life goes, but at least we can get on with something while we save up!
i would like to use 720 25p, as thats supported in fce, but the camera only has 720 50p in pal, which is not a lot of use, but at least 1080i is hi def.

martyn, in the uk.

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on Mar 6, 2010 at 7:27:42 pm

Um yeah perhaps you should have budgeted for $1K for post software on top of the camera- it's not really a secret that editing software that's designed for professional use is not generally free. Don't blame Apple or Sony for your own lack of research into this area. Sure you can futz footage into a format that FCE would accept but you're also throwing away image quality and time just to save a few bucks.

Noah

Unlock the secrets of 24p, HD and Final Cut Studio with Call Box Training. Featuring the Sony EX1 Guidebook, Panasonic HVX200, Canon EOS 5D Mark II and Canon 7D.
Watch Formosa- My indie movie shot with the SDX900 and finished with Final Cut Studio.

Return to posts index

Clint Fleckenstein
on Mar 7, 2010 at 1:39:52 pm

Just out of curiosity...did you budget for lights? Are you shooting on a $100 tripod? Editing software is part of the equation. That, or if you're going to end up downconverting to an HDV signal, you should have just bought a cheaper camera to free up money for a real editing solution.

We have a copy of FCE floating around in our office, and nobody uses it because the logging features are so deficient. It's NOT a professional app, and we knew that...we got it for really simple one-off stuff for our non-tech people to use if they wanted to. Even they prefer to just use Final Cut Pro.

I don't think your research necessarily led you in the right direction; I haven't tried this myself, but I think you'd get better results by using the Calibrated Software codecs (which are cheap) to use XDCAM EX files in Final Cut Express. Maybe I'll try that Monday :)

Cf

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on Mar 8, 2010 at 3:10:04 am

Yeah FCE is meant for one notch above iMovie editing with DV and certain HDV cameras and to introduce you to the basics of the FCP interface. It was never intended to be anything beyond that and once you out grow it's simplicity your best move is FCP.

Noah

Return to posts index

Jay Curlee
on Mar 8, 2010 at 6:47:16 am

I appreciate the input. The person I was trying to find answers for is a new hire at a not for profit. I have passed the bad news along. I have her footage and will probably pro bono edit the thing on one of my FCS edit stations.

Best,
Jay

Jay Curlee

JC Communications
Makers of Rocking the Boat: A Musical Conversation and Journey
http://www.rockingtheboatmovie.com

Return to posts index

martyn barnbrook
on Mar 10, 2010 at 10:07:23 am

yeah, its a bit of a bummer. i was going to get a z5 (previous cam sony dsr 250) when i was offered the ex1 s/h for not much more and was told by the dealer it would work with fce. will try this codec thing thats been mentioned, the alternative is to sell the ex1 an get the z5 i wanted in the first place.
the research i did on the ex1 told me what a great cam it was, but there was never any mention of editing compatibility. not saying i dont want to buy fcp, i just cant afford it for a while. its nobodys fault, just one of them things, if somebody can learn from it, thats great.
incidentally, my lighting is by rifa and my tripod is an expensive manfrotto, they're called something else in the usa. but you can never do enough research. i didnt find out until after purchase that there can be a back focus issue.

Return to posts index

Alister Chapman
on Mar 16, 2010 at 9:01:45 pm

Rather than selling the camera you could use it in SP mode and transfer your footage via firewire just as you would with a Z5. You will still have better picture quality than a Z5.

Alister Chapman
http://www.xdcam-user.com

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Mar 16, 2010 at 9:11:11 pm

or you could try the CalibratedSoftware MP4 plugin for around $80-$90. There's a free demo on their site although testing creates an ugly grey band. At least you'll know if it's possible and if so you'll have an affordable solution to use the HQ codec.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]