FORUMS: list search recent posts

upgrading OS

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jay Curlee
upgrading OS
on Mar 4, 2010 at 7:36:24 pm

My main edit station is a 2x2.8 Ghz Quad Xeon Mac Pro running FCP 6.0.6, OS 10.5.8. and Clip Browser 2.6 (2.06.00)

For FCP and XDCAM EX purposes, does it make any sense to upgrade the OS to Snow Leopard? Everything is working fine now.

Thanks,

Jay

Jay Curlee

JC Communications
Makers of Rocking the Boat: A Musical Conversation and Journey
http://www.rockingtheboatmovie.com

Return to posts index

Clint Fleckenstein
Re: upgrading OS
on Mar 4, 2010 at 8:16:58 pm

At this very point in time, I think the answer is still very much no until some XDCAM Transfer bugs get fixed in regard to Snow Leopard compatibility. I don't think my information is out of date. There were some fixes published for SxS compatibility in MacBooks but I think the transfer app problem persists.

My experience in the past has taught me to not mess with an NLE that works fine. :)

Cf

Return to posts index

Don Greening
on Mar 4, 2010 at 8:54:09 pm

[Clint Fleckenstein] "My experience in the past has taught me to not mess with an NLE that works fine"

Agreed. If it ain't broke don't fix it. Jay, unless there's some awesome feature in OS 10.6 that you absolutely must have then stay with 10.5.8. Right now, everything made by Apple and most other software folks will run on the earlier OS.

But for the record, I'm running OS 10.6.2 and FCS 3 and the Sony apps including XDCAM Transfer are all working just fine on a Macbook Pro and a Mac Pro.

- Don

Return to posts index

Jay Curlee
on Mar 4, 2010 at 8:59:30 pm

Thanks guys. Given the kind of work I do generally--interviews and cutaways-I don't really have a burning desire for the FCS 3 upgrade, either.

Best,

jay

Jay Curlee

JC Communications
Makers of Rocking the Boat: A Musical Conversation and Journey
http://www.rockingtheboatmovie.com

Return to posts index

Clint Fleckenstein
on Mar 5, 2010 at 3:44:04 pm

Cool beans, Don...were the Snow Leopard / XDCAM Transfer issues intermittent, or has Sony "fixed the glitch" now?

We're still running Studio 2 on our machines as well. Nothing earth-shattering to make us declare we need to charge forward with all the upgrades. Many times the ROI on all these upgrades is questionable, to say the least...and with all the software used to equip a modern NLE workstation, it would be a continual process!

Cf

Return to posts index

Tim Allison
on Mar 5, 2010 at 5:47:47 pm

We just upgraded and have run into some puzzling issues. We are now running OS 10.5.8 and FCP 7.0.1 on a Mac Pro. We have PDW-F75 decks. Everything seems to work fine, except that the XDCAM disks don't appear on the desktop. We can import files from the disks. We can write back to the disks. XDCAM Transfer says the disks are mounted. FAM Driver Utility says the disks are mounted. XDCAM Transfer does give the disk a rather cryptic name, XDCAM800460201260608. I don't have a clue where that long number came from.

So far, the only "problems" this has caused have been related to naming the disk, and ejecting the disk. When it appears on the desktop, you can just right-click and choose "eject." Now, we have to open FAM Driver Utility, switch away from FAM mode, and hit the eject button on the deck.

Any one have any clues?

Return to posts index

Don Greening
on Mar 5, 2010 at 7:18:21 pm

[Clint Fleckenstein] "were the Snow Leopard / XDCAM Transfer issues intermittent, or has Sony "fixed the glitch" now? "

For me it was never an intermittent thing because I upgraded from OS 10.4.11 right to Snow Leopard, bypassing Leopard completely. I wanted to upgrade to FCP7 which only runs on 10.5.8 or higher. Since I couldn't buy Leopard anymore I went right to the snowy variety. Once I installed everything it all worked seamlessly right out of the gate, as it were.

- Don

Return to posts index

Oliver Neubert
on Mar 12, 2010 at 9:59:00 am

I HAD a working 17" MacBook Pro running Leopard and the Expresscard slot worked perfectly to transfer media very fast.

Then I had some problems with the screen and bought a new MBP 17" because I worry that Apple will replace the Express card slots with SD slots. SL was preinstalled on that new machine.

I installed everything, upgraded to FCS3 and current drivers ect.

Inserted a SxS card... Kernel panic... I tried to revert to my old system which I had cleverly backed up using Super Duper... the restore from the Backup did not work... Apple told me that on the newest machines, you might not be able to install Leopard... Ok so back to 0. Clean install after formatting HD, reinstall everything.. no luck. Meanwhile Apple replaced my 2 month old MBP with a brand new one (for free because I am such a nice guy and have lots of Macs I guess)

Installed everything again, same problem, no luck with the SxS cards. kernel Panic every time. Even with the supposedly SL compatible drivers, downloaded from the canadian Sony Site.

I wish I could go back to SL ...

Some Red Giant plugins are also not compatible and will cause AE to crash. So - If you can avoid an upgrade - do so!

This is the worst OS upgrade I have ever experienced. I am using Macs for 20 years now...

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]