FORUMS: list search recent posts

XDCAM FCP online/final output query

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
zoe west
XDCAM FCP online/final output query
on Mar 3, 2010 at 5:17:36 pm

Hi Everyone

I am new to the XDCAM FCP workflow, having previously only used film, steinbecks and Avid. I have started editing a project in FCP and all seems to be going well, I have imported all the footage as per the XDCAM guidelines and have not experienced any problems so far. However i am unsure about the online/final out put and was wondering if anyone here can give me some advise

Is it possible to do the online in FCP?
What is the best way of outputting the project? - export to XDCAM ? or export QT?

many thanks

Zoe

Return to posts index

Ron Pestes
Re: XDCAM FCP online/final output query
on Mar 3, 2010 at 7:32:15 pm

What is your output being used for? If you are going to DVD, send it to compressor right from the time line and then into DVD Studio and it will look great. If you need to upload to the web compressor has a preset that works well too. If you are making a Blu-ray disc export it as an Apple Prores file and import that into Toast or whatever you use for BD.

Editing online in FCP is the way to go as there is usually no reason to do offline editing since you are not using tape. Just edit and export! Have fun.

Apple Certified Master Pro FCS 2
Sony EX-3
MacBook Pro

Return to posts index

zoe west
on Mar 7, 2010 at 2:02:49 pm

Hi Ron

thanks for your advice, its been really useful and has clarified my muddled thought process.

The project we are hoping will end up on TV so the advice you have given sounds perfect, so thank you

zoe

Return to posts index

Ron Pestes
on Mar 7, 2010 at 5:23:33 pm

Your welcome and good luck!
Ron

Apple Certified Master Pro FCS 2
Sony EX-3
MacBook Pro

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>