FORUMS: list search recent posts

Final Cut 7, Snow Leopard, and XDCAM.....is it safe yet?

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Tim Allison
Final Cut 7, Snow Leopard, and XDCAM.....is it safe yet?
on Feb 26, 2010 at 4:41:24 pm

We're looking to upgrade our edit systems. Are most of the "new version" kinks worked out to make it worth while to move up from FCP 6 and OS 10.5 up to FCP 7 and OS 10.6? I know FCP 7 has some features that we need.

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
Re: Final Cut 7, Snow Leopard, and XDCAM.....is it safe yet?
on Feb 26, 2010 at 6:25:40 pm

Generally as safe as anything is with computers. There's been a few rounds on all fronts OS, FCP, Sony so that things do work. With computers there's always a potential "gotcha" with somebody's unusual workflow.

Return to posts index

Tim Allison
on Feb 26, 2010 at 7:28:15 pm

Thanks, Craig. It's those "gotcha's" that I'm trying to avoid. Since both Snow Leopard and FCP 7 have been out at least 6 months (or more), I'm hoping we don't have to experience too many "gotcha" moments. It appears that XDCAM Transfer 2.11 solved most of the FAM access problems. That takes care of directly importing XDCAM material into Final Cut. Anybody having any problems writing back to a XDCAM disk with a PDW-F75. It seems like it has been somewhat problematic in writing back to a U1 drive, but we can work around that.

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Feb 26, 2010 at 7:52:01 pm

At least you can backup the date to a Blu-ray disc.

Return to posts index

Don Greening
on Feb 27, 2010 at 10:41:18 pm

I don't have any experience with writing back to the U1 drive but I can confirm that I personally don't have any issues with FCP7, OS 10.6.2 or any of the latest versions of Sony's various XDCAM software programs.

Running the latest of everything on a Macbook Pro and a Mac Pro.

- on

Return to posts index

olof ekbergh
on Feb 28, 2010 at 5:16:17 pm

I have no problems with 10.6.2 and FCP7.0.1 and all the EX stuff on MBP and an 8core and a 4core Macpro. Matrox MX02 and AJA HDe and M100.

Been solid for a few months, after Sony's latest updates.

Olof Ekbergh

Return to posts index

Russell Bramlett
on Mar 3, 2010 at 4:14:16 pm

Hello,

I have two machines, one FCP 7.1 with Leopard the other with FCP 7.1 Snow Leapard. The snow leopard machine needs more testing, but at first test, I am seeing large white, not grain per sae, but more like electronic snow, showing in the 1080i footage I imported from EX3 files.
Both mac pros are new, the 10.6 machine brand new.
The Leopard machine doesn't seem to have this electronic snow problem. Still testing, looking for feedback, will let you know what I find.

Best,
Russell

Return to posts index

olof ekbergh
on Mar 3, 2010 at 7:56:15 pm

Russell,

How are you viewing the footage. AJA, Matrox or what. I find you really don't know what you have until you view on a PAL or NTSC monitor.

I have absolutely no problems with Kona or MX02 with FCP 7.0.1 (latest I believe) and 10.6.2. on both quad and 8-core MacPros wit EX footage.

Olof Ekbergh

Return to posts index

Russell Bramlett
on Mar 3, 2010 at 8:09:18 pm

Thanks Olof,

I don't have a kona or matrox card. Just viewing via my apple display and an HD monitor attached.

Here's the , thing. After a night of sleeping on it, the problem has disappeared!
I had viewed it for a week on this footage. Even came through on QT compressions. HMM!

Wonder wonder....

Best,
Russell

Return to posts index

Clark Morris
on Mar 9, 2010 at 9:32:32 pm

Sorry if this is beating a dead horse, but before I upgrade I would love one more question answered authoritatively:

With Snow Leopard and FCP 7 (both of which I'm about to upgrade to from Tiger and FCP 6), can I use my Sony U1 for importing clips? I don't need to write back to it (at this point), but are all the kinks worked out as far as Snow Leopard, the U1 and connectivity/importing? I haven't found the clearest answer to this, if there is a clear answer.

Thanks.

Return to posts index

Clark Morris
on Mar 9, 2010 at 10:24:20 pm

...Also, we are using the Pro discs. Does Log & Transfer work, or the XDCAM Transfer Tool?

Thanks again,
cLaRK

Return to posts index

Tim Allison
on Mar 9, 2010 at 11:21:55 pm

Clark....you have to use XDCAM Transfer, but that hasn't been a problem for us. I've never hd any problems with it. Log and Capture within FCP does not work.

Return to posts index

Tim Allison
on Mar 9, 2010 at 10:35:33 pm

No, it is NOT beating a dead horse, and I wish I could give you an authoritative answer. But we decided NOT to go to Snow Leopard at this time. On the OS, we're at 10.5.8 and we did go all the way up to 7.0.1 on Final Cut. Even where we are, we're having some minor problems with our F75 decks; they mount the XDCAM disks, but that disk does NOT show up on the desktop. Everything else about it seems to work.

Return to posts index

chris sinclair
on Mar 11, 2010 at 1:55:03 am

if your discs don't mount, pop them in the U1, and using the U1 Utility software, click "disc" then "format" and it will update the disc from it's old database structure it shipped with and change it to the updated version that your decks are probably running. Then it will mount to the desktop provided that you're deck is plugged in (PC REMOTE should be displayed on the deck). You can't mount a disc using HDSDI, in case. Has to be firewire.

hope that helps.
Chris.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]